Opinion Pick your best 22 of the past decade (2007-2017)

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
Okay, you got crazy defensive there.

First off, I'm not sure how Lake can be the best Full back of his era when you just stated Gibson is the best defender in the team between 2010-2016. Doesn't make a heap of sense that one.

I think almost every spectator in the AFL would pick Rance as the best full back of the era. To the point where he isn't captain of his own team, yet he was named captain of the AA team.

You are quite clearly a one-eyed supporter. I also love how you aren't stating intangible arguments as yours or general opinion, it's apparently fact. Ignorant way of debating football.

Your first point on Gibson/Lake is just crap, given I stipulated Lake's dominance as a Doggie Full Back....So your equivocation there just serves to highlight & expose your sleight-of-hand motive & agenda.

Rance has only come to the fore in the past few years....When he has 3 premierships under his belt, then come & see me.....He would be in the convo for the decade of 2015-2024 most likely.

If I was one-eyed, then the entire side would be chock full of Hawk players & not just the 7, which Geelong shares the equal rep count for....We have the most Premierships in the era, the most Grand Final appearances & along with the Cats, the most finals played & best finals win/loss ratio.

As I stated earlier....Harvey was unlucky & would be the next one included....A premiership would have helped.

Jesslc

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Your first point on Gibson/Lake is just crap, given I stipulated Lake's dominance as a Doggie Full Back....So your equivocation there just serves to highlight & expose your sleight-of-hand motive & agenda.

Rance has only come to the fore in the past few years....When he has 3 premierships under his belt, then come & see me.....He would be in the convo for the decade of 2015-2024 most likely.

If I was one-eyed, then the entire side would be chock full of Hawk players & not just the 7, which Geelong shares the equal rep count for....We have the most Premierships in the era, the most Grand Final appearances & along with the Cats, the most finals played & best finals win/loss ratio.

As I stated earlier....Harvey was unlucky & would be the next one included....A premiership would have helped.
hahaha. My agenda in this situation is to hold you accountable for straight up ignorance.

You stated that Gibson was the best defender in the team. I would argue that the Full-Back position is generally regarded as a defender's position.

Secondly, I don't remember mentioning Harvey but while we are on the topic, he HAS a premiership (You know your football, clearly).

Thirdly, The idea of picking players based on premiership numbers is absurd. Premierships are won as a unit.
Better chuck Liam Shiels in for Ablett cause Ablett only has 2 premierships. Screw the brownlows and countless AA's.

Rance coming to the fore in the last 2 years?? He was AA in 2014.

You have a very average knowledge of the game.

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hahaha. My agenda in this situation is to hold you accountable for straight up ignorance.

You stated that Gibson was the best defender in the team. I would argue that the Full-Back position is generally regarded as a defender's position.

Secondly, I don't remember mentioning Harvey but while we are on the topic, he HAS a premiership (You know your football, clearly).

Thirdly, The idea of picking players based on premiership numbers is absurd. Premierships are won as a unit.
Better chuck Liam Shiels in for Ablett cause Ablett only has 2 premierships. Screw the brownlows and countless AA's.

Rance coming to the fore in the last 2 years?? He was AA in 2014.

You have a very average knowledge of the game.

If your agenda entails exposing your own ignorance for the delineated era up for discussion then congrats, you've succeeded were most others couldn't.

Jesslc

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If your agenda entails exposing your own ignorance for the delineated era up for discussion then congrats, you've succeeded were most others couldn't.
I love how you try to use the most unnecessary words in your vocabulary because you know you've had a shocker here but you don't even know the difference between 'were' and 'where'.

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I love how you try to use the most unnecessary words in your vocabulary because you know you've had a shocker here but you don't even know the difference between 'were' and 'where'.

I've made my selections & defended them competently enough....Now offer up your selection for our perusal!:)

If you don't like my team, then tough-t***ies.

Jesslc

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I've made my selections & defended them competently enough....Now offer up your selection for our perusal!:)

If you don't like my team, then tough-t***ies.

No problems.

Enright Rance Hodge (c)
Burgoyne Scarlett Mitchell
Dangerfield Pendlebury Fyfe
Franklin Roo Johnson
Milne kennedy Cyril
Cox Judd Ablett
Selwood (vc) Goodes Gray Swan

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
No problems.

Enright Rance Hodge (c)
Burgoyne Scarlett Mitchell
Dangerfield Pendlebury Fyfe
Franklin Roo Johnson
Milne kennedy Cyril
Cox Judd Ablett
Selwood (vc) Goodes Gray Swan

That's a good side....It's not a mega-multi premiership winning one.....But a fair side none the less.

I'd have Chapman in ahead of Tip-Rat everyday of the week....What was Milne's finals record like?.....Not terribly good.

Jesslc

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That's a good side....It's not a mega-multi premiership winning one.....But a fair side none the less.

I'd have Chapman in ahead of Tip-Rat everyday of the week....What was Milne's finals record like?.....Not terribly good.
2x pre-season premierships got him over the line. ;)

Premiers17

Senior List
Oct 27, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
B Grimes Rance Astbbury
HB Houli Chaplin Vlaustin
C Grigg Cotchin Ellis
HF Deledio Richardson Martin
F Cousins Riewoldt Edwards
FOLL Nankervis Lambert
R Prestia
Interchange Rioli Costagna Miles Butler

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Fyfster

Club Legend
Nov 6, 2017
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont
B Grimes Rance Astbbury
HB Houli Chaplin Vlaustin
C Grigg Cotchin Ellis
HF Deledio Richardson Martin
F Cousins Riewoldt Edwards
FOLL Nankervis Lambert
R Prestia
Interchange Rioli Costagna Miles Butler

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
MMM:rolleyes: that team looks familiar, Don't think it would win anything though:)

Jun 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
But he sure was awesome for those six seasons...three flags and 4 AAs. He's a lock for my side that's for sure.

Plus, the key back stocks after Scarlett, Rance, and Lake aren't that amazing. I had Hurley as an emergency as the next best (partly because of his swingman ability), then there's Gibbo and Glass and not too much more.
I always thought Luke McPharlin was criminally underrated. Fremantle fell to pieces as soon as he retired, and I don't think that's a coincidence.

Jesslc

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Would pay good money to see this team play

Enright Lake Shaw
Hodge Scarlett Mitchell
Dangerfield Fyfe Swan
Franklin Cloke Martin
Pavlich Kennedy Didak
Cox Ablett Judd
JJK Goodes Riewoldt Rioli
Cmon, Didak?

Didak was never even a small forward AA. He was a HFF. He kicked 274 goals over his career. Putting him there, you're saying he's been the best small forward over the last 10 years.

Milne kicked 574....

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Based on volume of work:

B: Heath Shaw Alex Rance Corey Enright
HB: Luke Hodge Harry Taylor Shaun Burgoyne
CEN: Brendon Goddard Scott Pendlebury Nat Fyfe
HF: Dustin Martin Nick Riewoldt Brent Harvey
F: Matthew Pavlich Lance Franklin Cyril Rioli
FOLL: Dean Cox Patrick Dangerfield Gary Ablett
BENCH: Todd Goldstein Joel Selwood Dane Swan Sam Mitchell

Feb 18, 2003
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
B: Alex Rance, Dustin Fletcher, Corey Enright
HB: Luke Hodge, Harry Taylor, Brendon Goddard
C: Scott Pendlebury, Joel Selwood, Patrick Dangerfield
HF: Dustin Martin, Nick Riewoldt, Lance Franklin
F: Eddie Betts, Josh Kennedy (WCE), Cyril Rioli
R: Dean Cox, Chris Judd, Gary Ablett junior
Int: Steve Johnson, Nathan Fyfe, Todd Goldstein, Sam Mitchell

TigerGlory

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Bonbeach Sharks
MMM:rolleyes: that team looks familiar, Don't think it would win anything though:)

If you didn’t read the first post, (which some people admittedly don’t) then it isn’t clear whether it’s asking for Best 22 by club or for the whole comp.

In fairness, I think the former is a far more interesting discussion. If you’re doing a whole AFL best 22 you don’t really get a whole lot of variation.

Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Gee this is hard.

FB: Corey Enright, Matthew Scarlett, Brian Lake
HB: Shaun Burgoyne, Alex Rance, Luke Hodge
C: Patrick Dangerfield, Sam Mitchell, Scott Pendlebury
HF: Nat Fyfe , Nick Riewoldt, Steve Johnson
FF: Cyril Rioli, Lance Franklin, Eddie Betts
FOLL: Dean Cox, Gary Ablett, Chris Judd
I/C: Dane Swan, Joel Selwood, Matthew Pavlich, Nic Naitanui

Yours is a good effort pre-Martin’17.

I’ve copied and pasted yours with a few modifications. Your forward line is probably better balanced with Betts but I’ve left him out altogether (with great difficulty) because I’m picking based on best players I’ve seen (according to my list on this ‘list’ forum). I decided to go with one small forward and I rate Cyril slightly ahead due largely to final performances. I rate players like Goodes and Pavlich above Betts which means they would get a forward spot ahead of him. Fyfe was my hardest omission but none of the bench players deserve to be out before him. Bartel’s achievements are above Fyfe’s, especially in big games but Fyfe has the higher ceiling / pure talent.

FB: Corey Enright, Matthew Scarlett, Harry Taylor
HB: Shaun Burgoyne, Alex Rance, Luke Hodge
C: Patrick Dangerfield, Sam Mitchell, Scott Pendlebury
HF: Dusty Martin , Nick Riewoldt, Adam Goodes
FF: Cyril Rioli, Lance Franklin, Stevie J
FOLL: Dean Cox, Chris Judd, Gary Ablett
I/C: Dane Swan, Joel Selwood, Matthew Pavlich, Jimmy Bartel

Sadly, Essendon’s and Melbourne’s contribution exemplifies the pain of our teams in the past decade.

Last edited:

dylan93

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Interesting thread from an MFC perspective considering 06' was the last time we made finals. Will make it a mix of the best players to have played for MFC during this time, current players who've already achieved some greatness/are projected to do so even more in the near future & in some cases players who had huge potential similar to that of the likes of Allen Jakovich, however their careers were cut short for varying reasons).

Melbourne Best 22 07-17:

FB: N. Jetta J. Frawley M. Hibberd
HB: C. Bruce T. McDonald J. Lewis
C: J. Viney J. McDonald A. Yze
HF: R. Robertson B. Green C. Petracca
FF: A. Davey D. Neitz L. Jurrah
RUC: J. White N. Jones C. Oliver
INT: M. Gawn B. Pickett J. Hogan J. Garlett

EMERG: M. Jamar T. Johnstone B. Moloney J. Rivers

Coach: Neale Daniher
Assistant Coach: Paul Roos
Umpire: David Rodan

Ray Donovan

Staring into the abyss
Oct 11, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder
Firstly lol it says pick " YOUR" best 22 of the decade so I did that. I didn't pick the best team!!! Strange ones Pavlich half back I know but he was an all Australian Fullback, midfielder as well. My team doesn't include brain fade Brian even though he was a quality player.

B. A.Rance M.Scarlett S.Burgoyne
HB. C.Enright M.Pavlich L.Hodge
C. P.Dangerfield S.Mitchell J.Selwood
HF. S.Johnson N.Riewoldt D.Martin
F. E.Betts L.Franklin A.Goodes
Foll. D.Cox G.Ablett C.Judd

Inter. S.Pendlebury, Bartel, Swan, Fyfe

EMG. L.Hayes , J.Kennedy, C.Rioli, B.Lake
Coach. Clarkson

Back