Draft Profile Early reports on new draftees...

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot of talk about Guelfi from an Essendon viewpoint, Seems the most likely to get a crack this season, Mature age so makes sense, Wins his own ball which is what we need, Hope he turns out a good pick up.
A very dedicated type by all accounts, good luck to him. Deserves his shot after missing out twice before.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Sam Fisher replacement?
Fisher played a lot more at CHB/FB than I imagine Coffield will if he ends up playing mainly down back. If playing down back Coffield will indeed likely play the sort of role we'd have loved to have freed Fisher up to play more for more of his career, as he dominated when allowed to play on a flank.

I was a massive fan of Coffield before the draft but saw him as someone who might take time as opposed to Clark who I thought looked more ready to go at AFL level.

From all reports though, the club are extremely impressed with Coffield. He’s been training with the midfield group and most expect to see him debut early in the season.

I feel many players from last years draft were, "what you see is what you get" types, which isn't bad at all, but Coffield was one in particular that made me wonder what could be. He has some terrific attributes and if he does prove to be coachable, as may seem to be the case, he could be an absolute beauty.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
I feel many players from last years draft were, "what you see is what you get" types, which isn't bad at all, but Coffield was one in particular that made me wonder what could be. He has some terrific attributes and if he does prove to be coachable, as may seem to be the case, he could be an absolute beauty.
I think if he ends up playing down back he will be very much a "what you see is what you get" type, but the question will be whether he makes it in the midfield, and/or how he also goes forward (which could make him extremely versatile, if he goes OK there as well).

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'll need a little bit more than a couple of training reports before I can come to that conclusion.
There are only two other players who I think will challenge him in the early days... LDU and Kelly. Both ripper talents and actually I wanted LDU at pick 1 but Rayner has not done anything to suggest he didn't deserve the pick 1 title. Powerful man who is a freak whenever the ball is within 10m of him with his amazing pressure and tackling a highlight.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
There are only two other players who I think will challenge him in the early days... LDU and Kelly. Both ripper talents and actually I wanted LDU at pick 1 but Rayner has not done anything to suggest he didn't deserve the pick 1 title. Powerful man who is a freak whenever the ball is within 10m of him with his amazing pressure and tackling a highlight.

"early days" is not necessarily the best player from the draft, is it mate?

If anything, Rayner's tank will likely hold him back earlier on, in comparison to others, but that won't be enough for me to discount him as the best player from the draft.

It's something that shouldn't be claimed for at least another 8 years,

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
"early days" is not necessarily the best player from the draft, is it mate?

If anything, Rayner's tank will likely hold him back earlier on, in comparison to others, but that won't be enough for me to discount him as the best player from the draft.

It's something that shouldn't be claimed for at least another 8 years,
That's my point. I wasn't claiming any will be the best at the end of their careers it's a stupid exercise because so much can happen between now and 12 years time. Better off having an educated guess for the next year or two. Rayner, LDU, Kelly are my top 3 for the next 2 years.

I think if he ends up playing down back he will be very much a "what you see is what you get" type, but the question will be whether he makes it in the midfield, and/or how he also goes forward (which could make him extremely versatile, if he goes OK there as well).

A lot of the qualities are already in place. Break-away speed, smarts, clean ball handling. It may be a matter of whether he can find the ball or not.

It's this time of the year that many of us project non-midfielders to become midfielders, yet only few can really make it, if they weren't raised as hands-to-the-ball-first, types. Will be following Coffield closely as I find him the most intriguing player from last years draft......not as close as you, but....

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Looked very untidy with his disposal and decision making that was a critisism before he was drafted.

What would you expect from a rookie subjected to a strange new format?

Many other players didn't exactly take to it like a duck to water either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Looked very untidy with his disposal and decision making that was a critisism before he was drafted.

Admittedly I was paying that close attention but I didn't see any glaring turnovers or untidy disposals. Kicked a nice goal from 40 and seemed to have no problem hitting up shorter options.

I did see him brushed off the footy very easy as u would expect from a first year player, particularly one as light as Stephenson.

QLDbeachbabe

All Australian
Apr 7, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Ok we will see.
They can kick drop punts.
So you're the famous Adam H who hasn't changed and is still trashing anything to do about Collingwood with an obsession under the new alias (Pali23). Aren't you supposed to be perma banned?

Stephenson will be a gun, even with the untidy disposal.
You mean impact like a Dangerfield, Judd & Swan who weren't the best kicks?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back