Federer - a return to #1?

Demosthenes

Premiership Player
Jun 9, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
You said Federer wouldn't reach number 1 due to his age and the nature of the ranking system.
Sure. But we were speaking in the context of the 2017 year. The points he carried into 2017 were completely different to the points he carried into 2018, which changes the complexion of the discussion significantly. His age and the nature of the ranking system are less of a handicap when you take into account things like the end-of-season break.

If the question in the OP had been "will Federer regain #1 before he retires" or "could Federer get back to #1 if he carries X points into 2018" then my answer would have been very different.

Shifting the goalposts because you were wrong is a lazy approach to a discussion.

Last edited:
Sure. But we were speaking in the context of the 2017 year. The points he carried into 2017 were completely different to the points he carried into 2018, which changes the complexion of the discussion significantly. His age and the nature of the ranking system are less of a handicap when you take into account things like the end-of-season break.

If the question in the OP had been "will Federer regain #1 before he retires" or "could Federer get back to #1 if he carries X points into 2018" then my answer would have been very different.

Shifting the goalposts because you were wrong is a lazy approach to a discussion.

Don't think we're shifting the goalposts or taking you out of context here. This is a post from you, and I quote...

Fed won't go close to number one, the trajectory is utterly unsustainable for him at this stage of his career.

Incredible how he wins a couple of titles and people get on the hype train. I understand the nostalgia, but the drooling is a bit embarrassing.

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond

I'm not going to speculate on what he will do in the future. I'm just saying there's zero evidence to suggest he can put together sustained results over a 12 month period to challenge for number one.
So were you basing your opinion on 2017? or over a 12 month period? It hasn't been 12 months yet.

It was never about him not having enough time to catch up in 2017 for you, it was the system and his age and form ruled him out completely.

Demosthenes

Premiership Player
Jun 9, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Don't think we're shifting the goalposts or taking you out of context here. This is a post from you, and I quote...
In response to a question about whether he would make it back to number 1 in 2017. And the trajectory required to do that at the time was not possible. And he failed to do it, as predicted.

The Fedtard butthurt in this thread over an accurate prediction is hilarious.

Demosthenes

Premiership Player
Jun 9, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
So were you basing your opinion on 2017? or over a 12 month period?
Over a rolling 12 month period ending sometime between the date of posting and the end of 2017, quite obviously.

That is the question in the OP, after all.

Back