Preview Best 22, Round 1 2018

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Mate melksham would have been top 10 bnf for us in the 2nd half of the year. The move forward has unlocked his AFL potential. You wouldn't have found a more hated player when we traded for him and in the space of half a season he's almost at cult hero status.
Checked Melksham's stats to finish the year and definitely agree. With that in mind and Melksham a definite in the forward line is there a chance Petracca could spend more time on a wing? If he has continued to build his fitness he could very, very damaging in 50/50 forward mid role. I think you have terrific depth of inside mids if Tyson and Angus Brayshaw have a decent run with injury so perhaps some time on a wing could suit Petracca. Will make him a definite in my super coach team if that is the case.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Checked Melksham's stats to finish the year and definitely agree. With that in mind and Melksham a definite in the forward line is there a chance Petracca could spend more time on a wing? If he has continued to build his fitness he could very, very damaging in 50/50 forward mid role. I think you have terrific depth of inside mids if Tyson and Angus Brayshaw have a decent run with injury so perhaps some time on a wing could suit Petracca. Will make him a definite in my super coach team if that is the case.

Trac has been training with the midfield, he will do 50/50 split forward and midfield but it will be in the contest. Mini dangerfield next year

Dom is the Shane Watson of our list, made of glass with a glaring technical flaw and concentration issues which limit his output
Does that mean Dom is always asking the Goal Umpire for reviews?

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Jeffy missing JLT with an injury worries me a bit, I’ve got a feeling at least one of Spargo/Fritsch/Johnstone/Kent could get games early this year.

Not sure where things are at but I didnt see Hannan getting a game so early and yet the coaching staff loved him and from all reports Fritsch would have gotten games last year so he is my tip.

swishy

Senior List
Sep 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
NY Knicks, NAFC
ROUND 1 v Geelong

B: Jetta Omac J.Smith

HB: Hibberd Lever Lewis

C: Hunt Oliver Brayshaw

HF: Trac Tmac Melksham

F: Garlett Hogan Hannan

Foll: Gawn Viney Jones

Int: Salem ANB Stretch Fristch

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Would love Melkshem to dominant Like he did in the X, was pretty good to be fair.

He won't get the same space teams afforded him in AFLX and those zooper goals were a love tap for him. I really like the melk as a footballer though and he looked as strong as an ox in those games. He's like the HFF version of Brent Moloney, I can't remember another Melbourne who kicked so well over 55m

He won't get the same space teams afforded him in AFLX and those zooper goals were a love tap for him. I really like the melk as a footballer though and he looked as strong as an ox in those games. He's like the HFF version of Brent Moloney, I can't remember another Melbourne who kicked so well over 55m
Just needs a couple of touches around that 50m mark to impact a game. Lowers his eyes well when he's not going for goal. I think Goodwin's found a role for him, which makes sense given how badly he wanted to bring him over to the club based on their previous relationship

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Just needs a couple of touches around that 50m mark to impact a game. Lowers his eyes well when he's not going for goal. I think Goodwin's found a role for him, which makes sense given how badly he wanted to bring him over to the club based on their previous relationship

Yeah the stint in the back line made him look like a poor kick at times but he's actually a beautiful kick of the footy and he is really good at hitting up targets. People thought that Goodwin was playing favorites but turns out Melksham and Hibberd were steals for 2nd round picks

Yeah the stint in the back line made him look like a poor kick at times but he's actually a beautiful kick of the footy and he is really good at hitting up targets. People thought that Goodwin was playing favorites but turns out Melksham and Hibberd were steals for 2nd round picks
I like the diversity in our forward line. Milkshake, Hannam, ANB, Petracca, and Garlett are very different players. Unfortunately means your boy Kent is cooked but at least we found several upgrades

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I like the diversity in our forward line. Milkshake, Hannam, ANB, Petracca, and Garlett are very different players. Unfortunately means your boy Kent is cooked but at least we found several upgrades

Kents an inferior forward to all of those above anyway. Too one sided and his set shot sucks. His only chance of a game is if he gets fit and uses his pace on the wing. I love his directness at goal but more likely he is delisted at seasons end before spending 2 years at Freo and being delisted again

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
I found it pretty funny after the first AFLX match when Campbell Brown was interviewing Melk, and was speaking as if playing Half Forward was a new role for him. Made me wonder how many people were clueless about the fact that he was up there with the best performing Half Forwards in the comp over the back end of last season ... and additionally, do Essendon fans realise that if he continues on that form, we've robbed them blind a second time!

Tempy Tiger

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
ROUND 1 v Geelong

B: Jetta Omac J.Smith

HB: Hibberd Lever Lewis

C: Hunt Oliver Brayshaw

HF: Trac Tmac Melksham

F: Garlett Hogan Hannan

Int: Salem ANB Stretch Fristch
I like this side but think frost will be CHB so Lever can be third man up. Do Lewis out, Frost in. Lewis to the bench. Fritsch our unless Jeffy is injured.
Would also swap TMAC and Hoges.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I found it pretty funny after the first AFLX match when Campbell Brown was interviewing Melk, and was speaking as if playing Half Forward was a new role for him. Made me wonder how many people were clueless about the fact that he was up there with the best performing Half Forwards in the comp over the back end of last season ... and additionally, do Essendon fans realise that if he continues on that form, we've robbed them blind a second time!
I still remember the the melts (myself included ) when we used 24 to get melks. In retrospect hibberd and melks are two very handy pick ups, absolute steals. Having said that they did pick up stringer and saad quite cheaply as well.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I still remember the the melts (myself included ) when we used 24 to get melks. In retrospect hibberd and melks are two very handy pick ups, absolute steals. Having said that they did pick up stringer and saad quite cheaply as well.

Draft picks are still the most overtly rated thing in football. Pick 24 would be less than a 50% of having the career Melksham could well finish with.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Draft picks are still the most overtly rated thing in football. Pick 24 would be less than a 50% of having the career Melksham could well finish with.
Yeah, it's always going to be a matter of hindsight about how it works out, and even then, outside of the top 5-10 in any draft, its a remote chance the same player would be picked up if the pick wasn't traded.

Essendon picked Mason Redmond with the Melksham pick, who hasn't seen any game time, meanwhile, the picked we traded for Vince became Matt Crouch, who knows who we would have taken with either pick.

ABray10

All Australian
Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne

True, yet at the time I know I didn't want Melksham, even if he was free, so I thought 24 was well overs. Turns out I was very wrong.

Jan 29, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
FB: Jetta Frost Hibberd
HB: Hunt Lever Lewis
C: Neal-Bullen Oliver Salem
HF: Petracca Hogan Melksham
FF: Garlett T. McDonald Hannan

Int: Brayshaw Vince Pedersen Harmes

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Melksham in the backline was poor but ever since going forward last season he has been excellent.

It's a stupidly hard role in modern footy. You have to be able to defend high up the field and not let anyone behind you and then when you do get the ball often you have to pinpoint a target with 18 opposition blokes pressing up towards you in a 50m area.

Back