AFL X

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Its funny how anyone looking at this through the lens of some sort of qualified commercial / technical expertise thinks its a good idea (here's another one https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/aflx-a-stroke-of-sport-marketing-genius-20180214-p4z0az.html), where as the stick in the muds like bartlett[?] and those like Richard Hinds who channel soccer paranoia for a taxpayer funded living are against it[Agree] (ie those engaging at purely an emotional level)
Bartlett has one of the most astute minds in AF. He played 400+ games, got plenty of B & F & Brownlow votes when RFC had many champions, has coached, was on the Laws C'tee, has been a highly regarded & often quoted media commentator for c. 30+ years. In 30+ years, it is easy to "cherry pick" & find some wrong or ill considered views.

Hinds' comments were appalling. He is also a hypocrite.
AFLX, an experimental game (barely 4 hours old!) being played in summer, is attracting greater Ratings (& often crowds) than the 12 y.o. A League. Why does he fail to mention this, if he thinks AFLX is so bad that it is not worth watching? Why doesn't Hinds say the A League is, therefore, also not worth watching?
Perhaps Hinds doesn't want to make this "watchability" comparison with the poorly performing A League -because he might then need to address/analyse (which he hasn't) the extraordinary comments of:-
. Archie Thompson, who indicated the NSL had a higher standard than the A League (FourFourTwo 18.1.18 "...I still believe the NSL quality of player was better...").
. Cahill, who said 2.2.18 on abc.net.au "I want to go there and be competitive, and its very tough to be competitive (in the A league -my words) if you're just going through the motions". This could imply other A League players are "just going through the motions", the standard is poor.
. C. Foster, Aust.'s chief soccer spruiker, who told L.Zelic/M.Rudan on 8.2.18 in a SBS World Game podcast, "I'm actually EXTREMELY (my emphasis) worried about the game at the moment. I am as worried, if not more worried, as I was 18 years ago". (This is in a year when Socceroos have triumphantly made the WC! Thus, I assume his comment was motivated by the dire state of the A League).

Hinds wrote (in contradiction to the above amazing 3 views) on abc.net.au 2.2.18 "... the standard of the A League and drama of the games themselves has steadily improved..." -yet the A League crowds & Ratings are in freefall!

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Spot on!
Super goals kicked allowed the player (& the crowd) no chance to celebrate/fist pump/others to get around him! The immediate play-on diminishes the significance of a super goal.

I watched the games live last night at DS -it is obvious the players were probably going around at c. 70% in the preliminary games. In the final, GF game, the intensity noticeably increased, & AFLX then become more contested -& a much better spectacle (similar to Adelaide GF).

I am definitely convinced now that AFLX should have more contests (so it doesn't look like basketball), thus it needs more than 7 per side -either 8 or 9. I would like to see the occasional hanger, so we need a "pack" of at least 3 people contesting an overhead mark!

I reckon 8 players would be just the right amount. At present there is no real role for a ruck simply because virtually no centre rucking/throw up contests after each super goal. The field is reduced so it makes sense to remove all the pocket, flanker and wing positions of a normal size ground game and go with 2 main forwards, 2 main backs and 4 followers of which 1 in the ruck guy. I think just these few changes would bring the contest aspect of it into vogue rather than training drill session it feels at moment.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
This is worthy o
I reckon 8 players would be just the right amount. At present there is no real role for a ruck simply because virtually no centre rucking/throw up contests after each super goal. The field is reduced so it makes sense to remove all the pocket, flanker and wing positions of a normal size ground game and go with 2 main forwards, 2 main backs and 4 followers of which 1 in the ruck guy. I think just these few changes would bring the contest aspect of it into vogue rather than training drill session it feels at moment.
AFLX is a potentially an extremely valuable addition to AF, might take AF to new areas, & IMO probably the main reason other codes don't want AF to be played on their turf (pun intended) -rectangular stadia.
Your suggestion of four in the middle is worthy of experimentation. Also, get rid of the embarassing basketball tip-off: adopt the usual centre circle, & proper AF rucking.
We must see more contested pack marks in AFLX, otherwise it will not succeed, IMO.

Last edited:
May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Bartlett has one of the most astute minds in AF. He played 400+ games, got plenty of B & F & Brownlow votes when RFC had many champions, has coached, was on the Laws C'tee, has been a highly regarded & often quoted media commentator for c. 30+ years. In 30+ years, it is easy to "cherry pick" & find some wrong or ill considered views.

Hinds' comments were appalling. He is also a hypocrite.
AFLX, an experimental game (barely 4 hours old!) being played in summer, is attracting greater Ratings (& often crowds) than the 12 y.o. A League. Why does he fail to mention this, if he thinks AFLX is so bad that it is not worth watching? Why doesn't Hinds say the A League is, therefore, also not worth watching?
Perhaps Hinds doesn't want to make this "watchability" comparison with the poorly performing A League -because he might then need to address/analyse (which he hasn't) the comments of:-
. Archie Thompson, who said a few weeks ago that the NSL had a higher standard than the A League
. Cahill, who, after leaving the A League, said many "A League players are just going through the motions".
. C. Foster, who told L.Zelic last week in a SBS World Game podcast, that he was more concerned with the state of Aust. soccer than at any time in the last 18 years. (This is in a year when Socceroos have triumphantly made the WC! Thus, I assume his comment was motivated by the dire state of the A League).

Hinds wrote (in contradiction to the above 3 views) on abc.net.au "... the standard of the A League and drama of the games themselves has steadily improved..." -yet the A League crowds & Ratings are in freefall!
Because, when most people write about the AFL or an article on the first night ever of AFLX!!!!!!!, they dont go on and on and on about the A-league :rolleyes:

Hinds is also a SPORTS reporter, not a soccer reporter. His comments might have been "harsh" but hey, that is media reporting nowadays. Its his opinion and you have a right to disagree with it(and post why that is the case)

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Because, when most people write about the AFL or an article on the first night ever of AFLX!!!!!!!, they dont go on and on and on about the A-league :rolleyes: [I agree -but they should CONSISTENTLY apply the same logic when discussing other sports].

Hinds is also a SPORTS reporter, not a soccer reporter[Hinds writes many articles about soccer!]. His comments might have been "harsh"[Only harsh? Really?] but hey, that is media reporting nowadays [I cannot ever recall any SIMILAR viciousnes] Its his opinion and you have a right to disagree with it(and post why that is the case)
I have no problems with anyone who doesn't like AF, AFLW, or AFLX -each to their own. I, obviously, like very much the first two -& have an open mind on the third, but believe it needs to be improved.

Hinds would agree that some people like the current AFLX, some don't -ditto the A League.
How can he validly apply one set of standards/expectations on one sport -then ignore/downplay these same standards etc when "analysing" (sic) another sport. When shall we see a similar article from him that the A League or W League, with their unappealing product, & miserable crowds/Ratings, should be shut down? (Of course, they shouldn't be)

Hinds is either a fool or a hypocrite -I doubt he is the former, so the latter is more likely.
He would obviously know AFLX is still in the experimental stage, & is likely to have changes (as indicated by AFLX manager D. Stevenson). He was insulting about it, obviously has a bias against the AFLX, & those who support the concept of AF being played on rectangular soccer grounds. Attacks like his suggest an ideological opposition to AF being played on rectangular grounds in Aust.
He did not even address the proposition (which I would expect that c.99% of fair & objective people would agree) that:-
. at GR level, many male & female (jnr. & adult) players would enjoy playing AFLX: simply because, with only 7 on the field, average players would get far more possessions/involvement.
. AFLX could possibly be used to effectively promote female semi-prof. AF. With FAR less congestion, females could execute their skills more regularly & impressively; & with such few stoppages, many would find female AFLX more attractive to play & watch.
. AFLX, as it involves only 7-a-side, could be used to effectively promote AF overseas (where obtaining 18 players-or even-10-can sometimes be difficult for an "unknown", body contact sport).

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
When shall we see a similar article from him that the A League or W League, with their unappealing product, & miserable crowds/Ratings, should be shut down? (Of course, they shouldn't be)

I know you don't like to use the search function, but really

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-...-shed-light-on-the-games-current-woes/9384964

When you occupy a sports market where the competition is fiercer than at the $5 undies table at the Boxing Day sales, a mid-season dip in media visibility, crowds and TV ratings is understandable, perhaps even inevitable.

But to vanish completely from the sporting radar as the A-League has done for long periods is a cause for deep concern.

Particularly when the lack of headlines and sound bites is reflected in the grandstands, where average A-League attendances have dropped to 11,101 — a decline of about 1,500 from last season and 2,400 from three years ago.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-...e-football-suffering-serious-hangover/9295626

Amid concerns about poor crowds and tumbling TV ratings, this is the greatest problem for the A-League and, by extension, the game in Australia — its sudden vanishing act.

See how easy that is? Maybe you'll find his articles on AFLW or Football in Tasmania and grassroots (you know that subject you profess to support so much) to go with his articles on Cricket, Tennis, Rugby League and others on Soccer and AFL. Maybe not every negative article is a plot by Soccer to bring down AFL by deflecting what is going on in their code. Do your own research for once would help

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Hinds was insulting to the AFLX, was biased & TOTALLY negative about it.
Do you disagree -if so, on what basis?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-...-shed-light-on-the-games-current-woes/9384964
I already quoted Hinds from this source -in post #526 above, where Hinds said "...the standard of the A League, and drama of the games themselves, has steadily improved".Do you agree with Hinds' view -if so, on what basis?
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-...e-football-suffering-serious-hangover/9295626
Hinds is not suggesting the A League or W League be shut down. In this source, Hinds writes "This is not to be confused with the quality of the competition (A League -my words) which, if measured by the recent performances of barnstorming Sydney FC, is at at an all time high".
Do you agree with Hinds' view -if so, on what basis?

The level of Hinds' criticism in these 2 abc sources above of soccer was polite & measured (despite the Aust. taxpayer being dudded re the WC bid c. $45,000,000, secret pay-offs to very "dodgy" persons etc.; & irrefutable significant falls in A League crowds & ratings). This is in complete contrast to his ferocity & vilification of the AFLX. Do you disagree -if so, on what basis?

I have provided the recent quotes from A. Thompson, T. Cahill, & C.Foster re their strong negativity re the A League in post #526 above.
Do you disagree with their views -if so, on what basis?
Thompson, Cahill, & Foster are three of the most prominent figures in Aust. soccer. Hinds, who wrote on 1.1.18 that the quality of the A League"... is at an all time high", obviously has different views. Is it reasonable to expect that Hinds will soon write articles analysing/contradicting their views?

See how easy that is? Maybe you'll find his articles on AFLW[I know he is generally supportive of the AFLW] or Football in Tasmania and grassroots[Nearly every journalist is very concerned about the decline of Tas. football] (you know that subject you profess to support so much) to go with his articles on Cricket, Tennis, Rugby League and others on Soccer[Can you nominate a Hinds' article on these sports that was as vicious as what he wrote on the AFLX -a comp. c. 2 hours old] and AFL. Maybe not every negative article is a plot by Soccer to bring down AFL by deflecting what is going on in their code.[I never said it was] Do your own research for once would help

Last edited:

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood

See how easy that is? Maybe you'll find his articles on AFLW or Football in Tasmania and grassroots (you know that subject you profess to support so much) to go with his articles on Cricket, Tennis, Rugby League and others on Soccer and AFL. Maybe not every negative article is a plot by Soccer to bring down AFL by deflecting what is going on in their code. Do your own research for once would help

Actually, I have read Richard hinds claim the afl's ventures into both aflw and aflx are about "stealing" either girls and grounds from soccer. He has genuinely used the verb "steal" in relation soccer to portray as the dominant and deliberate motivation of the afl in its creation of both aflw and aflx

I've never heard torps or anyone else for that matter claim there is a conspiracy by "soccer to bring down AFL". The reverse is tragically very common though which is what hinds is either channelling or cultivating.

The article was a shocker

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Hinds was insulting to the AFLX, was biased & TOTALLY negative about it.
Do you disagree -if so, on what basis?

Not insulting toward AFLX, not biased towards Aussie Rules (either as an article or as a writer in general) but just negative of what was on show. But hey thats allowed... he wasn't the only person to do so.

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Actually, I have read Richard hinds claim the afl's ventures into both aflw and aflx are about "stealing" either girls and grounds from soccer. He has genuinely used the verb "steal" in relation soccer to portray as the dominant and deliberate motivation of the afl in its creation of both aflw and aflx

I've never heard torps or anyone else for that matter claim there is a conspiracy by "soccer to bring down AFL". The reverse is tragically very common though which is what hinds is either channelling or cultivating.

The article was a shocker

Actually, where did I state anything about "stealing" to have it used as part of a reply to my post. The context is just not there as I really don't care.

Torps said he was wanted to see the article from Hinds on the A-League (as if one would never be written), I provided two examples from many.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Actually, where did I state anything about "stealing" to have it used as part of a reply to my post. The context is just not there as I really don't care.

Torps said he was wanted to see the article from Hinds on the A-League (as if one would never be written), I provided two examples from many.

I'm saying hinds (not you) used the term "steal" in the context of both the aflw and aflx in relation to soccer's young girls and facilities...as in this is the afl's intent. Weird toxic stuff that fans genuine and pretty widespread paranoia of an antisoccer conspiracy...which is why I found your implication that torps was claiming it as an example of soccer trying to bring down afl pretty strange

No doubt hinds has written negative articles about soccer's predicament. The one you linked to is from a position of concern mind you.

His article on the aflx was atrocious and completely inappropriate on the ABC.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
10 point goal if you kick a goal from the goal square instead of outside 40m.

Thoughts?

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I reckon just get rid of the ten point goals, or reduce them to 8 points and add an extra player or two on the ground.

I'd also narrow the goals somewhat. The logically approach would be to reduce the goals to 5.6 metres which is the width of rugby union goals

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
I reckon just get rid of the ten point goals, or reduce them to 8 points and add an extra player or two on the ground.

I'd also narrow the goals somewhat. The logically approach would be to reduce the goals to 5.6 metres which is the width of rugby union goals
Keep two players behind the 40 mt arc at all times or have a goal keeper. I dont like seeing a player run half way down the ground with no opposition and at least one more player would be a good start

vaughany

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 23, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Has AFL X been abolished or still on the cards to be played in 2019?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

vaughany

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 23, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
e126b019a3f509704fd116835ca9e256.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Back