Malcolm Turnbull - How long?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems that Malcolm Turnbull and Barnaby Joyce has forgotten the edict issued by former PM John Howard-'Disunity is death'.

And Howard would know what he was talking about. After all, who could ever forget the 'Joh for PM' debacle in 1987, which completely split the Coalition apart and handed Bob Hawke his third successive election victory. Howard was leader of the Liberals in that period.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It’s not like the disunity appeared overnight

It seems that Malcolm Turnbull and Barnaby Joyce has forgotten the edict issued by former PM John Howard-'Disunity is death'.

And Howard would know what he was talking about. After all, who could ever forget the 'Joh for PM' debacle in 1987, which completely split the Coalition apart and handed Bob Hawke his third successive election victory. Howard was leader of the Liberals in that period.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It wasn't just the 'Joh for PM' thing either, the constant rivalry between Howard and Peacock played a large part in keeping the Libs in Opposition for most of the 80s

Turnbull has exhibited reverse metamorphosis. What we at first saw as a colourful butterfly when he upended Abbott has morphed into a colourless grub.

I guess that's what happens when you join the wrong party

Surely you jest. What makes you think the ALP would be interested in a multimillionaire economic liberal?
MALCOLM Turnbull wanted to become Kim Beazley's shadow finance minister during the second term of the Howard Government.

The Sunday Telegraph has confirmed Mr Turnbull approached at least six senior ALP figures, including former Prime Minister Bob Hawke, actively seeking their endorsement to join the ALP at the time of the republic referendum.

Speaking for the first time on the issue, Mr Hawke said Mr Turnbull approached him on November 6, 1999, at Sydney's Marriott Hotel following the referendum's defeat.

Mr Hawke said yesterday he remembered the conversation clearly. Mr Turnbull told him: "Bob, the only thing I can do now is join the Labor Party.''

Mr Hawke said he replied by telling Mr Turnbull ``he could be accommodated'' and that "the Labor Party was a broad church''.

Kind of proves my point. If he was so keen, how come they didn't get him?

Willing to bet that Hawke's idea of accommodating him involved some crappy marginal seat that none of the union cronies or factional powerbrokers were interested in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MALCOLM Turnbull wanted to become Kim Beazley's shadow finance minister during the second term of the Howard Government.

The Sunday Telegraph has confirmed Mr Turnbull approached at least six senior ALP figures, including former Prime Minister Bob Hawke, actively seeking their endorsement to join the ALP at the time of the republic referendum.

Speaking for the first time on the issue, Mr Hawke said Mr Turnbull approached him on November 6, 1999, at Sydney's Marriott Hotel following the referendum's defeat.

Mr Hawke said yesterday he remembered the conversation clearly. Mr Turnbull told him: "Bob, the only thing I can do now is join the Labor Party.''

Mr Hawke said he replied by telling Mr Turnbull ``he could be accommodated'' and that "the Labor Party was a broad church''.

Ohhhh * they want him gone like YESTERDAY !!!!!
I hope he burns it all down on the way out , they don't deserve to just be able to switch out ANOTHER pm anymore.
Time to take their toys away from them.

The ALP has always been willing to accept people across the economic spectrum, less so the social conservatives.
Haha, this is satire surely. What parallel universe are you living in? Proper economic liberalism would never be countenanced by the union-dominated national executive.

On the other hand, the influence of Joe de Bruyn and his cronies are ample evidence that there is plenty of room in the ALP for socially conservative loons.

Haha, this is satire surely. What parallel universe are you living in? Proper economic liberalism would never be countenanced by the union-dominated national executive.

On the other hand, the influence of Joe de Bruyn and his cronies are ample evidence that there is plenty of room in the ALP for socially conservative loons.
Turnbull probably has more in common economically with Keating than Howard.

Keating was also a working class kid who left school at 14 to shill for a union.

The idea that a private school educated merchant banker and venture capitalist like Turnbull would get anywhere in the ALP is risible.

You mean like K. Rudd?

Turnbull probably has more in common economically with Keating than Howard.

I would have personally thought that Turnbull's hostility towards welfare recipients (disability or otherwise) and partiality towards big business would have placed him closer to Howard TBH.

I would have personally thought that Turnbull's hostility towards welfare recipients (disability or otherwise) and partiality towards big business would have placed him closer to Howard TBH.
I'm no particular fan of Mal but I don't really recall him getting stuck in to welfare recipients; that's always been the purview of someone else. Yes, he's the leader of the party, but he's bound by their ideology or he wouldn't be leader anymore. I think he could easily slip in to the right of the ALP, which has its own business loving group. Economically, there's not as much separating the two parties as many think; welfare is one, but for the most part, they both embrace the power of the market and respond to its whims.

I'm no particular fan of Mal but I don't really recall him getting stuck in to welfare recipients; that's always been the purview of someone else. Yes, he's the leader of the party, but he's bound by their ideology or he wouldn't be leader anymore.

This argument could easily be made of Howard as PM as well. (Not Abbott however - he was the Employment Minister under Howard for a while.)

It is difficult for me to believe that the disastrous robodebt scheme was pushed through by Tudge/Porter without at least tacit approval from Turnbull, for example.

I think he could easily slip in to the right of the ALP, which has its own business loving group. Economically, there's not as much separating the two parties as many think; welfare is one, but for the most part, they both embrace the power of the market and respond to its whims.

Agreed.

I'm no particular fan of Mal but I don't really recall him getting stuck in to welfare recipients; that's always been the purview of someone else. Yes, he's the leader of the party, but he's bound by their ideology or he wouldn't be leader anymore. I think he could easily slip in to the right of the ALP, which has its own business loving group. Economically, there's not as much separating the two parties as many think; welfare is one, but for the most part, they both embrace the power of the market and respond to its whims.

The "ideology of the party" is not a static thing so technically he is not bound by it at all.

Howard and then Abbott took the party a long way further to the right. And under Fraser it was a long way further left - maybe further left than the Labour party today.

It is Turnbull's job to lead. He can take the party in whatever direction he wants provided they agree to go. And if the likelihood of him going places they don't want to go is high then they would not vote him leader in the first place.

Instead of leading though, Turnbull has allowed the right to tie his hands.

And the result is he ends up being nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back