Thinking outside the box for revenue streams

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...e/news-story/cda975376f4bdc65924992262b54d86a

AFL team GWS Giants to open day care centres as alternative to gambling revenue

EXCLUSIVE, Rose Brennan, The Daily Telegraph

THE Greater Western Sydney Giants are kicking off a family friendly funding approach with the AFL heavyweights launching their own childcare centres as an alternative to the gambling revenue used to sustain other clubs.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal GWS Giants have partnered with Oxanda Education to run ‘Little Giants’ centres in Auburn and Killara with at least three more in the pipeline.

GWS Giants’ chief executive David Matthews said the partnership is a “win-win” as it raises funds for the club while supporting fans by providing in-demand quality child care.

“When this club first started we were very sincere about making sure it was part of the community — we don’t want it just to be a footy club that puts teams out of a weekly basis,” he said.

“We wanted to make sure that particularly in Western Sydney and broader Sydney we act as part of the fabric of the community. To do this through childcare is a unique opportunity.”

Mr Matthews said the club chose to open childcares as they did not want to rely on revenue from pokies given the damage gambling can wreak on communities.

Many AFL clubs, particularly in Victoria, rely on revenue generated from gaming machines.

“We don’t subscribe to that — we haven’t been in gaming we don’t intend to,” he said.

“We have noted as a board and as a club the drastic effects that gaming has, we know a lot of sporting clubs are reliant on gaming but it has very negative impacts, at times, on families.”

“That’s not to say there’s not a balanced approach to that but we think this childcare model is something that is of great community benefit and of great benefit for the club.”

Man sporting clubs rely on revenue from poker machines but GWS Giants believe day care centres is a “win-win” situation for both sides. Picture: Chris Pavlich

Mr Matthews said it was hoped the childcare centres would also boost support for the Giants.

“It’s a great thing for a lot of these families, their engagement with the Giants as a brand will be through the provision of something that’s so important to so many families — which is childcare.”

In January next year a centre is expected to open at Fern Bay, in the Hunter Region, and at Oran Park, in south west Sydney. In March 2019 another centre is slated to open in St Mary’s, in Western Sydney.

GWS Giants forward Phoebe McWilliams said she welcomed the club’s move into the childcare sector.

“It’s good for us to get fans involved with the club at such an early stage in their life, hopefully it’s something that will stick with them for the rest of their life.”

GWS Giants co-captain Callan Ward said the childcare centre’s reinforced the “community and family culture” of the club, especially in their heartland.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

China and sports diplomacy is Port's out of the box thinking for new revenue streams, which wasn't driven by some grand vision by Koch as the media likes to portray, but by the Port Board Big Footy poster Lockhart Road who has lived in Hong Kong since 1971 for all bar 3 or 4 years in the 1990's when he lived in Sydney for his kids senior schooling, and worked for big European firms dealing with Chinese governments and government business organisations as well as private ones in HK.

Clubs, especially the smaller ones, have to look outside the normal pubs and pokies for new non football revenue streams. They obviously have to assess the risk of these non traditional areas.

But well done on the GWS for combining a business and community aspect to their thinking. It also is a clever way to help indoctrinate kids from the local community at an early age as I have no doubt images of Giants will dominate the child care facility.

Richmond are involved in sports centre management at several facilities around Victoria. Its a very smart move I think

Given they were built up by cain, i wouldnt be surprised if the blues start pushing harder in the area of nonfooty nonpokies revenue development. He is a big believer in the migration away from pokies, and towards revenue streams that have better synergies with a football club

Given proximity, ive been surprised more hasnt been done with melbourne medical precinct

Rabman

Club Legend
Nov 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide, Arsenal.
The crows and the bombers moving into the E3 area, considering how big E3 is could really pay off for both clubs.

Richmond are involved in sports centre management at several facilities around Victoria. Its a very smart move I think

Also education & training...Sports management and leadership, which seems like another good fit.

Still to be seen if they make much money out of these things, but they're clearly worth a shot.

A future salary cap question mark however will be Richmond players getting training at the club's institute and going on to get jobs within the centers the club manages (either PT as players or FT after retirement).

Well done GWS. The lure of easy lucre from pokies is hard to ignore, as most clubs demonstrate.

Can't be too easy, at least one club tried and failed to make money out of it....

Also education & training...Sports management and leadership, which seems like another good fit.

Still to be seen if they make much money out of these things, but they're clearly worth a shot.

A future salary cap question mark however will be Richmond players getting training at the club's institute and going on to get jobs within the centers the club manages (either PT as players or FT after retirement).

The last isnt an issue. Registration for any clasd attached to a qualification is regulated, and its simple math. They pay, outside the cap. They dont, inside it. Its impossible for players to attend for free, not be registered, and get a qualification

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The last isnt an issue. Registration for any clasd attached to a qualification is regulated, and its simple math. They pay, outside the cap. They dont, inside it. Its impossible for players to attend for free, not be registered, and get a qualification

Not the course so much as the resulting job.

Not really a 3rd party deal if it's in house. Probably would get treated in a similar way to players getting coaching gigs. (e.g. Maric).

On a semi related note, Richmond has said that they hired several members of last years class....One of those 'synergies' I suppose is getting first dip at the best 'off field' recruits. (not sure if this was for the club itself or the fitness business...quite possibly both).

Not the course so much as the resulting job.

Not really a 3rd party deal if it's in house. Probably would get treated in a similar way to players getting coaching gigs. (e.g. Maric).

On a semi related note, Richmond has said that they hired several members of last years class....One of those 'synergies' I suppose is getting first dip at the best 'off field' recruits. (not sure if this was for the club itself or the fitness business...quite possibly both).

Rto instructors and facilitators need appropriate credentials in line with the coursework being delivered, we cant gift these gigs.

Dudes cleaning pools in eltham? Will only be an issue if the wage is above norm and they didnt go through an application process. Tbh, i think most ex footy players would see working at a community leisure center as beneath them

What are you trying to say? Instead of being coy about your club's involvement, just spit it out lad.

Sure.

North had pokies, and had to sell them because they clearly couldn't make enough money off them to cover the debts that needed paying.

They also tried 'roobet' and failed, before suddenly deciding to turn their failure to make any of this 'easy lucre' into pretending they're somehow virtuous by not being involved in gambling.

Or to put it another way, North fans moralising over the matter are full of crap.

B4Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sure.

North had pokies, and had to sell them because they clearly couldn't make enough money off them to cover the debts that needed paying.

They also tried 'roobet' and failed, before suddenly deciding to turn their failure to make any of this 'easy lucre' into pretending they're somehow virtuous by not being involved in gambling.

Or to put it another way, North fans moralising over the matter are full of crap.

No worries mate. I fully support North getting out of the gambling industry. But you keep up the good fight.

The events you are talking about, and there are many reason for the failure which I will not regurgitate here, happened close to ten years ago. Since being ditched, the no gambling position has been maintained and strengthened by the board and club as one of our principles; and this is a bad thing how? We have had multiple opportunities to get back into the business, and have refused; this is a bad thing how?

How many years does it take for North fans to be able to say we are gambling free before they are not full of crap? 20, 30, maybe 50?

NMFC have climbed the mountain, and have the intestinal fortitude to not go back into the swamp. And I congratulate GWS for doing the same thing.

If you are happy for your club to continue on its merry way with the gambling industry in general and pokies in particular, good for you.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Sure.

Telsor is there as big a push from areas to end pokies in Victoria/Melbourne as there is in Sydney?

Are clubs preparing for life without them?

Telsor is there as big a push from areas to end pokies in Victoria/Melbourne as there is in Sydney?

Are clubs preparing for life without them?

AFL clubs seem to be trying to move away from them although that seems to be an AFL thing.

There doesn't seem to be much of a broader groundswell of support to get rid of them as a whole. (there is always SOME pressure towards this end, I just haven't noticed any appreciable change).

So the end result is likely to be the same pokies, in the same places, taking the same money, from the same people. Just owned by other (non AFL) organisations.

If there was going to be a reduction in numbers, I'd be all for it! (I hate the things) but as it is, if they're going to be out there anyway, I don't really see why AFL clubs can't get some of the profits.

I give it 2 years before it folds.

If it actually happens. Basketball doesn't have anywhere near enough of a following in Melbourne to be able to only appeal to 15% of football supporters.

Remember hearing tigers looked at an nbl side in recent years, but decided against it. No idea how far down the rabbit hole they went

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Really?
Thought Melbourne was the heartland of Basketball in Australia.

It may well be, but only Essendon football fans are going to support an Essendon NBL side. No supporter of any other AFL team will, so consequently their potential supporter base is limited to a tiny fraction of Melburnians. Basketball isn't big enough there to be doing that.

Thats why Collingwood and Carlton soccer teams both failed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back