Australian Cricket Broadcast Rights 2018 - 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...t-australia-faces-big-decision-over-tv-rights

We've just come off the bruising negotiations between CA and the ACA and this year comes the sequel as CA balance the almighty dollar versus exposure to the unwashed masses as it negotiates with the media conglomerates.

International Cricket is protected by the anti-siphoning list, so even if Foxtel acquires the rights, they have to onsell the rights to a free-to-air network. Channel 9 have had the rights for 40 years now, but recently they questioned the value of the rights, although that could just be a negotiating tactic.

The Big Bash has no such protection. CA took much less than what they could have got when they went to Channel 10 in 2013, but it's paid off due to exposure that's grown the competition to one of the biggest in the world.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out over the next couple of months. I suspect that the BBL will be part hidden behind a paywall this time around, but as we've seen in Britain having all cricket on Pay-TV has led to short term monetary rewards, but has stopped the growing of the game at the local level, putting pressure on the long-term survival of the game.

I'd be gutted if Nine got the BBL. They would make it s**t and a chore to watch like their international matches. Ten have been consistently okay and Seven can't/won't do any better so hopefully it stays with Ten.

My interest in Tests and ODIs is getting very low so I'm much less interested in who gets that.

I think it'll be the status quo but with Foxtel simulcasting one or both deals.

I reckon we could end up with a situation where Weekend BBL games are simulcast free to air, whilst the weekday games are Foxtel only, especially since they want to push the comp into February. Not ideal for most people, but more palatable than the entire thing being on pay tv.

I reckon we could end up with a situation where Weekend BBL games are simulcast free to air, whilst the weekday games are Foxtel only, especially since they want to push the comp into February. Not ideal for most people, but more palatable than the entire thing being on pay tv.
I think Foxtel would have to get involved if the competition is to run longer. Most of the networks want to have their crappo reality show bedding in by then. Implications for the Sheffield Shield is for another thread.

The big question will be how much money CB$ is willing to throw at Australian sport.

The fact that they bought a whole network suggests to me that the answer is 'a lot' - even though it's probably only a stepping stone for the long-term future of streamed television.

I don't think CA has much interest in doing what the ECB did and hiding cricket away from the masses.

wasn't part of the plan (for the future) to only hold BBL games on Friday/Saturday/Sunday with more double/tripleheaders?

wasn't part of the plan (for the future) to only hold BBL games on Friday/Saturday/Sunday with more double/tripleheaders?

It seems that they're only talking about post-school holiday games. Games in January would still take place daily.

Surely Sutherland couldn't be so daft as to put the BBL behind a paywall? Unfortunately dollar signs are the only things he understands so it'd have to be a chance.

I'd be gutted if Nine got the BBL. They would make it s**t and a chore to watch like their international matches. Ten have been consistently okay and Seven can't/won't do any better so hopefully it stays with Ten.

My interest in Tests and ODIs is getting very low so I'm much less interested in who gets that.

I think it'll be the status quo but with Foxtel simulcasting one or both deals.
Basil commentating the Cricket would be the end of the world.

Surely Sutherland couldn't be so daft as to put the BBL behind a paywall? Unfortunately dollar signs are the only things he understands so it'd have to be a chance.

A little unfair, I think. CA has never been as guilty of chasing money as the ECB - or the BCCI.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...t-australia-faces-big-decision-over-tv-rights

We've just come off the bruising negotiations between CA and the ACA and this year comes the sequel as CA balance the almighty dollar versus exposure to the unwashed masses as it negotiates with the media conglomerates.

International Cricket is protected by the anti-siphoning list, so even if Foxtel acquires the rights, they have to onsell the rights to a free-to-air network. Channel 9 have had the rights for 40 years now, but recently they questioned the value of the rights, although that could just be a negotiating tactic.

The Big Bash has no such protection. CA took much less than what they could have got when they went to Channel 10 in 2013, but it's paid off due to exposure that's grown the competition to one of the biggest in the world.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out over the next couple of months. I suspect that the BBL will be part hidden behind a paywall this time around, but as we've seen in Britain having all cricket on Pay-TV has led to short term monetary rewards, but has stopped the growing of the game at the local level, putting pressure on the long-term survival of the game.

pay tv is for muppets

why pay for something which would otherwise be free and only have to put up with an ad between overs

I can't see Foxtel getting even part of the BBL exclusively. The BBL is successful not because of the standard of cricket or big names playing. But because it takes up a lot of dead time during the summer. Putting on Foxtel is as good as not broadcasting it. If it means the comp creeps into February, then the tv stations will deal with it.

I hope channel 10 keep the BBL rights but ease Howie into a different role over summer. Mel Jones and Gilly are better ball by ball callers than him.

pay tv is for muppets

why pay for something which would otherwise be free and only have to put up with an ad between overs

What a stupid thing to say.

It would be a poor move though if majority of the BBL went back to Fox, part of it's success is the routine for people over the summer period.

What a stupid thing to say.

It would be a poor move though if majority of the BBL went back to Fox, part of it's success is the routine for people over the summer period.

Why?

People with high incomes are often time poor and people with low incomes can’t afford it.

If it’s $5 a month great but how many people can really afford $50 plus a month for tv?

To me that would require having your house, an investment portfolio and materially debt free.

Otherwise your living hand to mouth and perpetuating inter generational poverty.

bottled water, mobile phone plans, internet, pay day loans, pay tv, insurance (if you can't afford to lose it, you can't afford to own it), gambling, tatts, ciggies, lattes, avo etc are all in the same boat

Last edited:
I don't mind if Foxtel get some of the rights to the BBL. Foxtel, as much as people hate them, generally produce a quality broadcast compared with amateur hour at the FTA TV networks. How much better is the AFL on Foxtel compared with CH7?

As someone said above, I wouldn't be surprised if CH10 throw a lot of cash at trying to get the BBL and Test Cricket, especially with their CBS funding. They may as well turn themselves into a sport network again, they've really got nothing else going for them at the moment.

Why?

People with high incomes are often time poor and people with low incomes can’t afford it.

If it’s $5 a month great but how many people can really afford $50 plus a month for tv?

To me that would require having your house, an investment portfolio and materially debt free.

Otherwise your living hand to mouth and perpetuating inter generational poverty.
lol, if you can't budget for $12.50 a week you have over extended yourself.

Foxtel will be desperate to get the cricket as their summer sports ratings haven't been the same since they lost the BBL; especially now that the A-League's ratings have dropped away.

Both Australia's matches in NZ rated in the 100-150k range or thereabouts; reckon there wouldn't have been a sports event on Foxtel since the Socceroos qualifiers that would've rated as well.

I hope channel 10 keep the BBL rights but ease Howie into a different role over summer. Mel Jones and Gilly are better ball by ball callers than him.

Disagree. Gilchrist loses a lot by being placed on the ball-by-ball - much less comfortable, and says silly things. Jones doesn't seem suited to calling T20 matches, always sounds about a second behind what's happening, and it's more noticeable because she isn't excitable.

Why?

bottled water, mobile phone plans, internet, pay day loans, pay tv, insurance (if you can't afford to lose it, you can't afford to own it), gambling, tatts, ciggies, lattes, avo etc are all in the same boat

Again, doubling down for another ludicrous post. To get on your high horse and say everyone who has Fox, the internet (how exactly are you posting??), insurance (absolute wtf at this) or goes out for meals is a muppet is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. Budget for the things you want in life, some things I'll value more than you and others you'll spend money where I wouldn't bother. At the end of the day it's none of our business how others spend their disposable income (unless one of those people going around moaning about not having enough, in which case yes the muppet description fits, but just downright stupid to throw a blanket statement out there as you have).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back