Europa League 17/18

Europa League Round of 16 draw on tonight 11pm Melb time on BEINSports2

Remaining Sides: AC Milan, Arsenal, Borussia Dortmund, Athletic Bilbao, Atletico Madrid, Marseille, Dynamo Kyiv, Lazio, Lokomotiv Moscow, RB Leipzig, Plzen, Red Bull Salzburg, Sporting CP, Lyon, Zenit, CSKA Moscow.

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
You poor bastard

Once I was teased because I followed Footscray and Tottenham

You've got two great sides in Port and Sunderland

I feel for you, and I've shared your pain

I have no shame in being a Port supporter but I just shake my head sometimes with Sunderland. Worse part is when people give me s**t for being a Sunderland fan, I can't say anything because it's true.

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Zenit/Dynamo Kyiv needs to happen for the epic Russia/Ukraine s**t fight that would ensue. Wouldn't mind seeing the RB clubs go at it either (Salzburg knocking out Leipzig would be fantastic). Marseille and Sporting would be a good tie to watch.

David Schwarz

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 30, 2013
M9 - M10 Standing Room
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
The last 3 pages make me smile. :)

Thinking of some of the names mentioned makes you realize how inferior current defenders actually are.

Different game, isn't it?

My answer to the question of who is my favourite player is Hagi, and I get looks of confusion.

Something about 1985 - 2005, everyone just seemed better than now

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Different game, isn't it?

My answer to the question of who is my favourite player is Hagi, and I get looks of confusion.

Something about 1985 - 2005, everyone just seemed better than now
There are no genuine wingers anymore ala Figo.

Football at the turn of the decade was infinitely better. We may have Messi and Ronaldo now, but take them two out, the best players now, and then, the former take it easily IMO.

David Schwarz

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 30, 2013
M9 - M10 Standing Room
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur

Football at the turn of the decade was infinitely better. We may have Messi and Ronaldo now, but take them two out, the best players now, and then, the former take it easily IMO.

You had me at your first sentence :thumbsu:

Further, a friend of mine sent me a YouTube video of Baggio's highlights recently - and when you watch it you can only think about how all of his free kicks, runs, and deft passes would annihilate anything around now

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
Zenit/Dynamo Kyiv needs to happen for the epic Russia/Ukraine s**t fight that would ensue. Wouldn't mind seeing the RB clubs go at it either (Salzburg knocking out Leipzig would be fantastic). Marseille and Sporting would be a good tie to watch.
In all seriousness, would that game be played behind closed doors?

The Ukraine and Russian teams were deliberately prevented from being drawn in the same group, right? I wonder what contingency UEFA have for a situation where they play each other in the knockouts.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
You had me at your first sentence :thumbsu:

Further, a friend of mine sent me a YouTube video of Baggio's highlights recently - and when you watch it you can only think about how all of his free kicks, runs, and deft passes would annihilate anything around now
Baggio, oh boy.

My favourite piece of commentary is from a Baggio goal. His vs Czechoslovakia at the 1990 World Cup when Alan Parry is commentating. Baggio, oh yes! Oh YES! OH YES! WHAT A GOAL BY BAGGIOOOOOOOO!

Then you had players like R9, Zidane, Rivaldo, Batistuta, Bergkamp, Henry, Figo, Nesta and so on. Don't make them like the used to.

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers

Messi is a GOAT but CR7 isn't even in the all time top 10. Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Zidane, Eusebio, Puskas, Di Stefano, Baggio, Ronaldo (the original), Maldini, van Basten, Beckenbauer, Platini, Muller and plenty of others out rank him on that one.

David Schwarz

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 30, 2013
M9 - M10 Standing Room
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Baggio, oh boy.

My favourite piece of commentary is from a Baggio goal. His vs Czechoslovakia at the 1990 World Cup when Alan Parry is commentating. Baggio, oh yes! Oh YES! OH YES! WHAT A GOAL BY BAGGIOOOOOOOO!

Then you had players like R9, Zidane, Rivaldo, Batistuta, Bergkamp, Henry, Figo, Nesta and so on. Don't make them like the used to.

That insane free kick Baggio scores when he was at Juve? I would love to know how to find that.

All I remember is an insane curler from what could have literally been another postcode

Best part about it was that he celebrated like it was just another day at the office

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Messi is a GOAT but CR7 isn't even in the all time top 10. Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Zidane, Eusebio, Puskas, Di Stefano, Baggio, Ronaldo (the original), Maldini, van Basten, Beckenbauer, Platini, Muller and plenty of others out rank him on that one.
I'm inclined to agree, though his numbers are ridiculous that he deserves to be in the conversation. He is one of the GOAT goalscorers, without a doubt. Much like Gerd Muller.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
That insane free kick Baggio scores when he was at Juve? I would love to know how to find that.

All I remember is an insane curler from what could have literally been another postcode

Best part about it was that he celebrated like it was just another day at the office
Probably remember it if I saw it.

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
In all seriousness, would that game be played behind closed doors?

The Ukraine and Russian teams were deliberately prevented from being drawn in the same group, right? I wonder what contingency UEFA have for a situation where they play each other in the knockouts.

With the amount of Russian teams in there, it's possible that Dynamo get one of them. Common sense means that would be behind closed doors but it wouldn't stop idiots on social media going at it like the Yugoslav s**t fights that flair up every now and then.

David Schwarz

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 30, 2013
M9 - M10 Standing Room
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
hinking of some of the names mentioned makes you realize how inferior current defenders actually are.

Someone mentioned Thuram before, what about Desailly?

He's about four inches shorter than the average defender height nowadays, but he seemed like a giant despite that, and could move around players like they weren't even there

Wouldn't mind seeing the RB clubs go at it either (Salzburg knocking out Leipzig would be fantastic).
For some reason I think if that happened, Salzburg would "take a dive".

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal

He's about four inches shorter than the average defender height nowadays, but he seemed like a giant despite that, and could move around players like they weren't even there
Another beast. Excellent leader.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
It was against a blue team

And I am well aware that that is a terrible description :$
Sampdoria, Empoli and Brescia wear blue
For some reason I think if that happened, Salzburg would "take a dive".
Ah yes, speaking of Salzburg, geez Sociedad have been poo this season, I would've thought Sociedad wins that tie

They won't get relegated as the teams below them in trouble are even more gash, but they'd want to improve next season otherwise they could get into trouble

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon

Loved him.

Cannavaro and Puyol as well.

Buffon is the last of that Era and he's just about done.

I'd add Del Piero to that above list as well.

David Schwarz

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 30, 2013
M9 - M10 Standing Room
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Sampdoria, Empoli and Brescia wear blue

Ah yes, speaking of Salzburg, geez Sociedad have been poo this season, I would've thought Sociedad wins that tie

They won't get relegated as the teams below them in trouble are even more gash, but they'd want to improve next season otherwise they could get into trouble

I could name about a thousand clubs in Italy that wear blue

Even bloody Pescara :$

Just cannot remember the year or the team, otherwise I'd share - it's a ridiculous strike

Back