Bugg v Stretch - who will play more games in 2018?

Place your bets.

• Bugg

• Stretch

Results are only viewable after voting.
Dec 24, 2008
Luxembourg
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
NEC Nijmegen, Sunderland
I wonder if Billy will make it. He's not really a super quick, break-the-lines type of player. Nor does he have much of an inside game or is he a penetrating kick. As an aside I hate how he wobbles the ball from side to side before he kicks.
With Bugg, you know he can tag, can run all day and is an excellent overhead mark.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Billy has got decent vision but neither have any elite AFL traits so they are in a giant pool with about 300 other AFL hopefuls where they have to out work their teammates and opposition in every department or they will be delisted.

Tempy Tiger

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think Stretch because he’s obviously so hungry for it. Perseverance is a hell of a thing and I reckon he’s going to will himself to become a solid AFL player. He’s going to have to toughen up though because he looked gun shy last year.

Bazza97

Premiership Player
Nov 17, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm confident Stretch will be a good long-term player for us. I don't think he has any glaring weaknesses in his game nor does he have a point of difference. That's fine, he's a good all-rounder I reckon. Best way to describe him as a player would be that he's neat. Already regarded for being one of the most professional players at our club, he'll give himself every opportunity. I think he's going to be one of the more interesting players to watch at our club this season.

DeesFanTheMan

Team Captain
Feb 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Cubs, NUFC
I voted Stretch but after reading some of the discussion I am more on the fence. Hope they both have massive seasons.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Surprised to see people rating Bugg above Hannan earlier in the thread. Hannan has genuine X factor, majority of his goals this year were half chances that most of our list wouldn’t have been able to take. As a forward I’m taking Hannan every time over Bugg.

Just on Stretch, I have been a big fan but I don’t see him being on our list in 2 years time if he doesn’t improve his kick:handball ratio. For a guy who is meant to be outside he gets sucked into the contest too much and whilst he goes bloody hard for a small guy he is pretty useless there at AFL level. If you asked this board 12 months ago who will be better out of ANB and Stretch you’d probably get everyone (Including me) saying Stretch looks good and ANB wont make it.

Surprised to see people rating Bugg above Hannan earlier in the thread. Hannan has genuine X factor, majority of his goals this year were half chances that most of our list wouldn’t have been able to take. As a forward I’m taking Hannan every time over Bugg.

Just on Stretch, I have been a big fan but I don’t see him being on our list in 2 years time if he doesn’t improve his kick:handball ratio. For a guy who is meant to be outside he gets sucked into the contest too much and whilst he goes bloody hard for a small guy he is pretty useless there at AFL level. If you asked this board 12 months ago who will be better out of ANB and Stretch you’d probably get everyone (Including me) saying Stretch looks good and ANB wont make it.
Hannan is the perfect medium tall. Can clunk a mark and get up in the air, but can also be a cumber at ground level. Assuming his endurance will increase this year. Truth be told i was sad about losing Watts, but i felt okay with it in the end because i know Hannan will take his role easily

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

Hannan has the quickest hand to foot on our list and his ability to be front and centre is only second to Garlett. Also is very comfortable in traffic so can push up to half forward and do damage as well.

Also agree re- stretch. He spends far too much time sucked into the contest which is the reason he would have been dropped. I see no reason he can't play the exact same role as Neal Bullen other than he might night have the football intelligence that ANB does. Clearly has the fitness.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hannan is the perfect medium tall. Can clunk a mark and get up in the air, but can also be a cumber at ground level. Assuming his endurance will increase this year. Truth be told i was sad about losing Watts, but i felt okay with it in the end because i know Hannan will take his role easily

Hannan won’t have the elite games that Watts could but we will get far more consistency of effort throughout games and the season.

Wonderful little group of Stretch, Bugg, ANB, Melksham, Harmes and a couple of others vying for the last few spots in the 22.

Our list is getting better and better.
ANB is in his own category, and Melksham and Harmes are just below it

CTHORANGE

Premiership Player
May 7, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hannan won’t have the elite games that Watts could but we will get far more consistency of effort throughout games and the season.

Yeh Hannan could certainly kick a bag, but he won't be setting up goals for fun like Watts did when he was on

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
We're not going to miss Watts. Some will lament his kicking skills when some lump shanks one into the forward 50, but Watts was hardly teeing up goals on a regular basis. He's equal 8th with TMac on the Dees list for goal assists in 2017, which includes being behind one Mitch Hannan in equal 6th.

CTHORANGE

Premiership Player
May 7, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
We're not going to miss Watts. Some will lament his kicking skills when some lump shanks one into the forward 50, but Watts was hardly teeing up goals on a regular basis. He's equal 8th with TMac on the Dees list for goal assists in 2017, which includes being behind one Mitch Hannan in equal 6th.

A goal assist stat, in the AFL... really?

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Stretch will have the same kind of season as ANB last year I reckon. Perhaps a but of time finding his role in the first half of the year, but in 12 months time he will be best 22.

May 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I still find it hard to define what Stretch brings over others. From all reports, a great trainer, but on the park I want to see him bring something that not many others can.

Tempy Tiger

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
I still find it hard to define what Stretch brings over others. From all reports, a great trainer, but on the park I want to see him bring something that not many others can.
It’s just being a link up player. We are probably weaker in this area than anywhere else as has been well documented. He just needs to be a great runner with a good work ethic and beat foot skills. All of which he can do. Plus he’s a good finisher in front of goals. He just looks a bit timid occasionally.

Fork n Hell

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Bugg is way ahead of billy at this stage imo. While hes a bit unpolished Bugg cracks in and doesnt like to get beat and keeps running defenders ragged and can play more positions. I would like to see billy back at casey and dominate in the vfl for a while as it would be good for his confidence, before he gets a call up again. He doesnt seem to do anything exceptionally well at this stage of his career.

Back