Mod. Notice Depressed? Anxious? Call Beyond Blue (1300 224636), Lifeline (131114), resources in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi everyone,
If you're in the Ballarat region and want to help raise awareness and support for depression and anxiety (particular PTSD drive) this page (and subsequent movement as they call it) was set up some time ago in honor of a classmates friends' husband who was an ex-serviceman who ultimately lost his war with himself a little over 12 months ago, despite managing to raise in excess of $30,000 for soldieron.org.au by pack marching from Mildura to the Adelaide war memorial 18 months prior.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/walkingoffthewarwithin/about/?ref=page_internal
https://walkoffww.com/
I live in Ballarat. Thanks for the link

It (sadly) appears former Olympian and current Australian javelin record holder Jarrod Bannister has committed suicide.
They don't specifically mention it in any news articles but when they end with Beyond Blue and Lifeline contact details it's typically a giveaway.

Update on my mental health. Came back from Europe/UK after a 2 month holiday to clear my head. Had been cutting down on my lexapro to half tablets from about Sep/Oct to Jan. Finished the last of my antidepressants towards the end of the trip (had a back up pack just in case). Now back home and pretty much ready to get a job again and start afresh. :)

I just feel like, if you are an infj or an intj, most traditional/common jobs are really hard to cope with, especially if you're a deep thinker. It's just so damn stressful and easy to be picked on as well. Everything is so exhausting.

Update on my mental health. Came back from Europe/UK after a 2 month holiday to clear my head. Had been cutting down on my lexapro to half tablets from about Sep/Oct to Jan. Finished the last of my antidepressants towards the end of the trip (had a back up pack just in case). Now back home and pretty much ready to get a job again and start afresh. :)

Good luck Dylan. I was on lexapro a while ago and have been off them for a couple of years now (with approval of my gp). Still have ups and downs but have learned to be really aware of my thoughts and accept that I won't always feel great, but that's a normal part of life.

I just feel like, if you are an infj or an intj, most traditional/common jobs are really hard to cope with, especially if you're a deep thinker. It's just so damn stressful and easy to be picked on as well. Everything is so exhausting.

That's interesting Mootsy. I'm not sure what group I fit in but as a sensitive introvert I find that after spending 8 hours at work with people I can't wait to get home and have some space to myself. It's taken me a long time to accept that not only is there nothing wrong with this, it is completely necessary.
I spent way too long thinking I had to be like everyone else and suffered badly for it by way of low self esteem and depression.
It's still a struggle at times but at least now I try to not be so hard on myself.

That's interesting Mootsy. I'm not sure what group I fit in but as a sensitive introvert I find that after spending 8 hours at work with people I can't wait to get home and have some space to myself. It's taken me a long time to accept that not only is there nothing wrong with this, it is completely necessary.
I spent way too long thinking I had to be like everyone else and suffered badly for it by way of low self esteem and depression.
It's still a struggle at times but at least now I try to not be so hard on myself.
My life has gone from being torture to slightly difficult but a lot more enjoyment since being self employed.

Mental health issues or not, working for other people in full time jobs only works out well for a small minority of people in the long term (Although some people love it).

Difficult bosses, annoying colleagues, long hours without the financial reward, boredom, stress etc etc etc... - They can be killers.

I still have mental health issues, I always will.

For 15 years I have tried SSRIs, CBT, mindfulness, you name it. The single thing that has helped me is completely changing my life to suit me i.e. being self employed. Has made a massive difference.

One thing I have also found re anxiety and my ability to function well is that dexamphetamine (prescribed for ADHD). It has been significantly more effective than any SSRI. Valium is very handy for me too although you obviously can't take it every day like you can with an SSRI.

Anyway, I wish you all the best and just hope that if you are struggling and have been for a long time that you try and think outside the square for a solution. Mental health professionals are great but they don't always have the answer.

My life has gone from being torture to slightly difficult but a lot more enjoyment since being self employed.

Mental health issues or not, working for other people in full time jobs only works out well for a small minority of people in the long term (Although some people love it).

Difficult bosses, annoying colleagues, long hours without the financial reward, boredom, stress etc etc etc... - They can be killers.

For 15 years I have tried SSRIs, CBT, mindfulness, you name it. The single thing that has helped me is completely changing my life to suit me i.e. being self employed. Has made a massive difference.

One thing I have also found re anxiety and my ability to function well is that dexamphetamine (prescribed for ADHD). It has been significantly more effective than any SSRI. Valium is very handy for me too although you obviously can't take it every day like you can with an SSRI.

Anyway, I wish you all the best and just hope that if you are struggling and have been for a long time that you try and think outside the square for a solution. Mental health professionals are great but they don't always have the answer.

Thanks ezard15. Glad you have found something that works for you.
As you stated, I feel I will always have mental problems. The key, for me, is to be aware of when I'm more vulnerable and be proactive.
Being self employed probably wouldn't work for me but just being aware of how other people affect me has helped me greatly. A psych I was seeing suggested anti anxiety meds at one point but didn't follow it up, and I got to the point where I'd rather not take them if I don't have to.
overall I feel that I'm better off without but my psych and gp had said I was taking a very small dose so I'm not sure how much effect they were having.

Good luck Dylan. I was on lexapro a while ago and have been off them for a couple of years now (with approval of my gp). Still have ups and downs but have learned to be really aware of my thoughts and accept that I won't always feel great, but that's a normal part of life.
:thumbsu::thumbsu:

That has been my experience too. Im aware of my thoughts as they happen, and I can see theyre often just thoughts which I dont need to get caught up in. I can let the thoughts go and experience ups and downs for what they are, just life experiences. It's amazing how our thoughts and feelings about our difficult times make them far worse than they need to be. But it's not as simple as just staying positive. Its about being aware of what you think and not allowing your negative or fearful mind hijack you into imagining it's worse than it really is.

What do you do?

:thumbsu::thumbsu:

That has been my experience too. Im aware of my thoughts as they happen, and I can see theyre often just thoughts which I dont need to get caught up in. I can let the thoughts go and experience ups and downs for what they are, just life experiences. It's amazing how our thoughts and feelings about our difficult times make them far worse than they need to be. But it's not as simple as just staying positive. Its about being aware of what you think and not allowing your negative or fearful mind hijack you into imagining it's worse than it really is.

Exactly. I just wish it was as easy as it sounds. I get exhausted just from having to keep a constant look out for thoughts that could take me to dark places and I'm not always successful. I try not to beat myself up for feeling like crap sometimes. These things will pass.
Reading sites like there is really helpful. I spent way too long thinking it was just me.

What do you do?
Divorce Law mainly with a bit of employment law and wills and estates.

Doesn't sound like the ideal work for someone that suffers from anxiety but weirdly enough I actually enjoy it on the whole (especially now I am my own boss so can pick and choose the work and when I do it to some extent).

Every now and then its unpleasant but I'm well remunerated for that so can't complain all in all.

I am tending to brief the really stressful court appearances to barristers where I can.

Thanks ezard15. Glad you have found something that works for you.
As you stated, I feel I will always have mental problems. The key, for me, is to be aware of when I'm more vulnerable and be proactive.
Being self employed probably wouldn't work for me but just being aware of how other people affect me has helped me greatly. A psych I was seeing suggested anti anxiety meds at one point but didn't follow it up, and I got to the point where I'd rather not take them if I don't have to.
overall I feel that I'm better off without but my psych and gp had said I was taking a very small dose so I'm not sure how much effect they were having.
I get annoyed and a bit angry at people quite easily I must say. Having said that mental health issues aside, people can be very annoying and even very toxic.

I went through a phase after my wedding of 'stewing' over things people had said to me.

I decided that rather than stew on things I would get it off my chest by talking to people, which sounds very mature in theory. Problem is that in hindsight the things were very petty - i.e. things that you either dealt with at the time or let them go.

Anyway, for a little while I got into a habit of ringing people that had annoyed me to discuss things they had said lol. Sounds ok in theory but it became sort of an obsession. I even rang my poor Father in Law three times in one week. I couldn't figure out what it was I wanted to say but eventually I realised it was an anxiety thing and medication actually did the trick. (Not saying it is always the answer for anxiety).

It still continued to happen and then eventually someone pulled me up and said "right, we've discussed this enough. this is now YOUR problem". It hasn't happened since then thankfully.

Do you mind if I ask how do people effect you? Do they make you angry, uncomfortable? anxious?

ps nothing wrong with being sensitive - I would prefer to be sensitive than insensitive any day!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Although not having read all the pages of this entire thread, I'm pretty sure it has been mentioned already. The main issues of depression are 2 fold - external causes and internal causes.
A lot of the depression, we tend to focus externally eg. financial problems, relationship problems, work problems. We tend to do this because they're things we can clearly observe and easy to communicate with others.
On the flipside, internal causes are just as important or perhaps even more common than we'd think eg. Diabetes, Vitamin deficiency, hypertension, any chronic illnesses etc. So with better eating and regular exercise, we would potentially feel fitter, but also reduce the impacts of these internal causes.

With depression therefore, psychiatric meds and psychologists/psychiatrists are important. But equally, your GP has a vital role to play in order to manage or perhaps treat the depression with blood tests, blood pressure checks etc.

Although not having read all the pages of this entire thread, I'm pretty sure it has been mentioned already. The main issues of depression are 2 fold - external causes and internal causes.
A lot of the depression, we tend to focus externally eg. financial problems, relationship problems, work problems. We tend to do this because they're things we can clearly observe and easy to communicate with others.
On the flipside, internal causes are just as important or perhaps even more common than we'd think eg. Diabetes, Vitamin deficiency, hypertension, any chronic illnesses etc. So with better eating and regular exercise, we would potentially feel fitter, but also reduce the impacts of these internal causes.

With depression therefore, psychiatric meds and psychologists/psychiatrists are important. But equally, your GP has a vital role to play in order to manage or perhaps treat the depression with blood tests, blood pressure checks etc.
I can understand blood tests, but is there much of a link between blood pressure and depression?

I can understand blood tests, but is there much of a link between blood pressure and depression?
Yes on 2 accounts:
- the more stress or depressed you are, the increased likelihood you are of having hypertension.
- If you have hypertension, the symptoms commonly are headaches and palpitations, which can exacerbate and overlap with the symptoms of anxiety/depression.

Just came back from an overseas trip. Highlight was the Hellfire Pass Museum.
I say it was highlight as my grandfather was one of the POW’s there in WW2. So it gave me some perspective of what he went through there. Also found out that his brother was executed (beheaded) on a beach in Timor.

On a brighter note. Started looking for a new job today. Have 3 job interviews for tomorrow. So getting all excited, feels like a weight is being lifted off my shoulders.

Yes on 2 accounts:
- the more stress or depressed you are, the increased likelihood you are of having hypertension.
- If you have hypertension, the symptoms commonly are headaches and palpitations, which can exacerbate and overlap with the symptoms of anxiety/depression.
fair enough, hypertension is a symptom rather than a cause

Wanna get your opinion RE antidepressants.

Little intro - diagnosed with depression/anxiety/OCD few years back but apart from a few severe episodes here and there it has been largely managed by meds.

Currently on Lexapro and probably feeling the most balanced ive been in a long time (this was after eventually increasing to the highest dose) However, I have these real crazy/lucid dreams and ive definitely gained some weight.

Do you think I should taper back to a smaller dose? Or live with the side effects and not mess a good thing up? THe thought of having to pump this stuff into my body for the rest of my life scares me...

One thing I have also found re anxiety and my ability to function well is that dexamphetamine (prescribed for ADHD). It has been significantly more effective than any SSRI.

Amazing - I have definitely found that aswell. Really straightens your thinking out and makes it soooooo much easier not to get distracted by anxious/ridiculous thoughts.

Amazing - I have definitely found that aswell. Really straightens your thinking out and makes it soooooo much easier not to get distracted by anxious/ridiculous thoughts.
Great to hear mate.

Has improved the quality of my work and relationships.

Stops things from really spiralling hey.

Very good point, although I must say I used to preach about how it was mainly to do with internal factors i.e. HOW you think, exercise, diet, mindfulness etc.

This was based on what I had read and been told by my pysch(s).

In practice for me (and it's not the same for everyone) the external factors have been the big game changer. Going from working full time for other people making the rules to being self employed has reduced about 90% of my 'suffering'. I am doing less work, choosing the type of work, when I do it and making a lot more money. I was being exploited in private practice but I think most people working for others are being exploited in the sense that there is no tangible reward for all the hard work.

I think a lot more young people are starting to realise there are alternatives to the 9 to 5 working week, looking at start ups etc, but I understand it's not an option for everyone.

There is also the issue that society says we have to work for self worth which I think causes people to stay in jobs they hate to the detriment of their mental health.

I wonder if this new age of positive thinking and mindfulness has overshadowed the importance of looking at what people are actually doing with their lives. Does it align with their core values etc. (Having said that I am a big fan on mindfulness, healthy eating, regular exercise etc but it's no where near enough to alleviate the suffering I feel from mental illness).

My new challenge now is our little one year old son and coping with the enormous challenges of parenting. No doubt it is difficult for everyone but anxiety sufferers like me are probably more sensitive to babies/toddlers crying/falling over etc I suspect. But we are going well so far I think:)

Little intro - diagnosed with depression/anxiety/OCD few years back but apart from a few severe episodes here and there it has been largely managed by meds.

Currently on Lexapro and probably feeling the most balanced ive been in a long time (this was after eventually increasing to the highest dose) However, I have these real crazy/lucid dreams and ive definitely gained some weight.

Do you think I should taper back to a smaller dose? Or live with the side effects and not mess a good thing up? THe thought of having to pump this stuff into my body for the rest of my life scares me...

Unlikely to be an answer that anybody on here is qualified to give.
Is it your GP that’s prescribing the medication?

This is something only your GP should be the one best to answer. Assuming of course, he's good at dealing with mental health problems. As a rule of thumb, if you are stable and are seeing some side-effects, you should in the least discuss this with your GP. Might be worthwhile to try a short period of reducing the dose, and if you feel the symptoms of depression/anxiety worsening, you can always go back on same dose again.
We should not take side-effects lightly, because they also can affect your physical health as well as your mental health over time. Lethargy, weight gain very common, and these will inevitably cause a decrease in self-esteem as well as affecting your mental functioning.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back