Votes: 14 17.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

ProFootball

Draftee
Dec 6, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
The FFA last week set a firm date for two teams to enter the competition in 2019-20, and with ongoing debate still very much alive, how will it work, who benefits, which teams join, and are the fans in on it?

The FFA last week set a firm date for two teams to enter the competition in 2019-20, and with ongoing debate still very much alive, how will it work

Probably already have two bids already locked in but there'll presumably be some bid process

who benefits,

Whoever wins the bid presumably.

which teams join,

it'll be two teams from Sydney/Brisbane/greater Melbourne

and are the fans in on it?

I'd say most of them would be though some no doubt would only want entry based on pro/rel

I'd say its almost certainly going to end in tears though

The competition is tanking really badly. I'd say the wanderers entry had a huge impact on renewing the competition when it was stagnating last time but it is highly unlikely that will happen again. There are no more western Sydney's without a team.

Only chance of it giving things a sustainable bump is if they let South Melbourne back in...which they won't

I'm really cynical about the FFA's announcement last week. I think it probably has more to do with their ongoing barney with grass roots clubs and with the FFA than the FFA actually believing in expansion. I still don't think it's going to happen. If FIFA turf out the FFA administration - which they should - then it'll be back to square 1, again, in terms of expansion.

The other problem they have is that we don't have any new bids that are ready to go. So if we are going to expand, in ~18 months, it's going to be clubs that the FFA have made clear they don't want, like South Melbourne, Wollongong Wolves or Brisbane Strikers.

In my view, the "right" answer is definitely Canberra.

The other "right" answer, if the FFA has half a brain, is to commit some funds and some development and take advantage of the basket case that the AFL has created for itself in Tasmania. No doubt this is the native Tasmanian in me influencing this, but I've long believed that Tasmanians will follow almost anything that has a Tasmanian brand attached. If the aim of an A-League club is still "only" to build local support, grow the game among kids, and to be able to average 10k to their games - which most current teams can't do - I think Tasmania is can't miss. The only thing that it's really missing is the start up capital, which is where the FFA should step in.

Its all talk. Thry did the same in 2016.

If they do give it a go they will add Southern expansipn and another Melbourne team.

They arent the brightest sparks.

The only hope is thay AFC and FIFA force the FFA to make the A-League independant and let them run an A2 under the AAFC plans(except for that garbage about the winner of the A2 getting an ACL place).

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Nothing will happen while the current FFA board and Gallop are in place. All smoke and mirrors.
Maybe in a league where your side isnt favoured to no end and can still only pull a pathetic 13,000 to games. The sporting city.... lol pathetic.

Having seen my side on the disgraceful end of refereeing three times against your side this season... three times... why should anyone care about expansion when the league is corrupt. Why should anyone support it.

Maybe in a league where your side isnt favoured to no end and can still only pull a pathetic 13,000 to games. The sporting city.... lol pathetic.

Having seen my side on the disgraceful end of refereeing three times against your side this season... three times... why should anyone care about expansion when the league is corrupt. Why should anyone support it.

ffs mate chill out your embarrassing yourself!

13K is still bigger than any crowd your pathetic mob can pull this season btw

Last edited:
ffs mate chill out your embarrassing yourself!

13K is still bigger than any crowd your pathetic mob can pull this season btw
Really? Might want to check that again... nice crowd for the sporting city and the biggest club lol. Absolutely pathetic. And you have the referees in your pocket. That much is undeniable. Don't let me ever hear you complaining about referees considering the charmed run you get and considering what other clubs are subjected to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really? Might want to check that again... nice crowd for the sporting city and the biggest club lol. Absolutely pathetic. And you have the referees in your pocket. That much is undeniable. Don't let me ever hear you complaining about referees considering the charmed run you get and considering what other clubs are subjected to.

has your pissant club produced anything over 20k this season??

lol no wander you club is a laughing stock always with the excuses just like you pathetic coach and captain always whinging! filters down to the fans I see.

Last edited:

tenor.gif

I don't think I've seen a bigger melt for a game that was of no real significance, it's brilliant.

Would love it to be Canberra and Tasmania, be the first code to be a truly national competition (sorry NT, you don't count)

Canberra could work if done right, still very sceptical through. Tassie no chance! would become another North Queensland, there’s a reason why the AFL haven’t got a team there yet. I don’t agree with it but it’s the reality Tassie just doesn’t work in a corporate sporting world.

If the league does expand which I’m still sceptical of, it will 100% be two clubs out of Sydney, Brisbane or Melbourne with the third one most likely to replace the Nix once their booted out.
The games HQ have constantly said “fish where the fish are” mantra as they are chasing the population and tv dollars.

Either way I have minimal confidence in the league developing the criteria, following through with it and managing the transition successfully.

Canberra could work if done right, still very sceptical through. Tassie no chance! would become another North Queensland, there’s a reason why the AFL haven’t got a team there yet. I don’t agree with it but it’s the reality Tassie just doesn’t work in a corporate sporting world.
How doesn't it work in a corporate sporting world? That's a very outdated opinion (imo), it's the fastest growing economy in Australia at the moment and has had very decent population growth over the last 2 years. The reason the AFL doesn't want a team down there is because they currently have two teams filling that void and it is costing them nothing, there's no incentive to put up money whilst people are supporting the Hawks and Roos.

The guys putting there cash up for the Tassie bid aren't just some Clive Palmer type who want a team to look good, they're serious businessmen who have been involved in the A League and have a very good idea of what a successful team requires (in a business sense).

The tourism numbers coming into Hobart alone are staggering. The airport is now an international airport and has began (or is about to) direct flights from Beijing every week, add to that the other destinations that follow. The only competition during the season is a bit of 20/20 that happens for a month and some pre season AFL games.

I can see why people have the view you do and I'm not trying to sound like a jerk here (but probs am :oops: ) but as someone who lived there for a long time when the only prospect was really to leave the changes that the place has undertaken are phenomenal and I, along with a lot of football fans I know would be lining up for an away trip down there.

How doesn't it work in a corporate sporting world? That's a very outdated opinion (imo), it's the fastest growing economy in Australia at the moment and has had very decent population growth over the last 2 years. The reason the AFL doesn't want a team down there is because they currently have two teams filling that void and it is costing them nothing, there's no incentive to put up money whilst people are supporting the Hawks and Roos.

The guys putting there cash up for the Tassie bid aren't just some Clive Palmer type who want a team to look good, they're serious businessmen who have been involved in the A League and have a very good idea of what a successful team requires (in a business sense).

The tourism numbers coming into Hobart alone are staggering. The airport is now an international airport and has began (or is about to) direct flights from Beijing every week, add to that the other destinations that follow. The only competition during the season is a bit of 20/20 that happens for a month and some pre season AFL games.

I can see why people have the view you do and I'm not trying to sound like a jerk here (but probs am :oops: ) but as someone who lived there for a long time when the only prospect was really to leave the changes that the place has undertaken are phenomenal and I, along with a lot of football fans I know would be lining up for an away trip down there.

OK i’ll back you on this, you made a strong case to argue.

I just feel in the current climate the game is in it will be to risky for the FFA to venture in to Tassie. I feel its best they should stick to where the game has been historically and culturally significant such NSW, Victoria and SA for now until the game can get back on its feet again. (if it ever will)
Maybe your right it can work but I think its best to wait till another round of expansion is proposed in future.

Also do Tassie have a decent enough rectangular stadium to play out of? If not will one be built for the new franchise?

OK i’ll back you on this, you made a strong case to argue.

I just feel in the current climate the game is in it will be to risky for the FFA to venture in to Tassie. I feel its best they should stick to where the game has been historically and culturally significant such NSW, Victoria and SA for now until the game can get back on its feet again. (if it ever will)
Maybe your right it can work but I think its best to wait till another round of expansion is proposed in future.

Also do Tassie have a decent enough rectangular stadium to play out of? If not will one be built for the new franchise?
Apparently they have a site in Hobart for a rectangular stadium but it wont be even considered turning the soil until a license is given so games would be played out of North Hobart oval which looks like this (it's very small for an AFL ground)

llkLai2.jpg

Do you see another team working in Melbourne? If it's South Melbourne then I think it has a case but then again are you just robbing supporters back from Victory? Not to mention the obvious "old soccer" ties. I just don't want to see another club that attracts 6000 fans in a 30,000 seat stadium type setup like we have at the moment.

Apparently they have a site in Hobart for a rectangular stadium but it wont be even considered turning the soil until a license is given so games would be played out of North Hobart oval which looks like this (it's very small for an AFL ground)

llkLai2.jpg

Do you see another team working in Melbourne? If it's South Melbourne then I think it has a case but then again are you just robbing supporters back from Victory? Not to mention the obvious "old soccer" ties. I just don't want to see another club that attracts 6000 fans in a 30,000 seat stadium type setup like we have at the moment.

If I was to choose I'll have South Melbourne and Wollongong in, through the FFA have set there sights on a South Sydney expansion bid. It could work but don't expect another WSW through! I would like to see a stand alone Wollongong bid come through.

South Melbourne to me is the most logical choice for a third Victorian club. They have a ready made bid with rich backing, they have there own stadium, youth development, a women's team, and already have a core fan base. I don't think they will dilute fans away from Victory or City if it does it will be very minimal. If South can prove they have separated from their ethnic ties then they are a shoe in no questions asked! But I'm yet to see clear evidence of this. To most outsides they are still regarded as "Hellas". Still even then I feel they are worth the punt. May open a Pandora's box in terms of other NSL clubs wanting to join through.

In terms of other expansion options a Geelong bid could work if its setup and focused as a community club one that could also partner with the Cats to give it an advantage. But again lack of a decent rectangular stadiums in the area is a worry, one will have to be built. It's OK to hold games at Kardinia Park for a while but that novelty will wear off quick. You can still have big games against Victory/City there but a decent rectangular stadium is needed probably 15K max. I would probably put the Geelong bid in the some basket as Tassie, one for the next round off expansion options.

The SE Melbourne bid will only work if a stadium is built down that way otherwise it will just become another Heart. Massive growth area down that way, it has potential. I know there are a lot of football people working on this bid to make it work, hopefully there is already a stadium planned in proposal.

can't see any other options for Victoria apart from those three.

Last edited:
South Melbourne's proposal have them playing in their 13000 seat Bob Jane stadium. As for them cannibalising supporters from Victory and City, that is probable, but i believe they will also introduce more supporters (Greeks) into and (back into) the game.
I have always had my doubts about the financial sustainability of the A League clubs and felt that talks of expansion were unrealistic. But the league needs an injection and quickly. Three teams out of Melbourne sounds like lunacy but if any team can make a good fist of it,it's South Melbourne. I couldn't care less if they call themselves SM Hellas. ( ironic given the ethnic crap the NSL had to endure).
I would not have expressed this opinion even last year. That's how far the A League has sunk in my eyes. It's a farking shambles.

Of course, my Greek descent would love either a West Adelaide (won't happen) or a South Melbourne to come into the league, but personally, only the Greek-Aussies are the only ones that cling on to the "ethnic" part of the club right now, and even the South social media pages keeps well away from the use of Hellas.
Without any bias, I'd love a Tassie team to tap into the market desperate for a permanent footy code team, and fought between a Canberra team or Brisbane Strikers' recent bid.

If the league does expand which I’m still sceptical of, it will 100% be two clubs out of Sydney, Brisbane or Melbourne with the third one most likely to replace the Nix once their booted out.
*if they're booted out. It's not a sure thing, yet.

Wollongong a dead cert and so it should be. Wouldn't mind either Canberra or Tassie with the latter a good option seeing as the AFL are currently treating it like a ginger step child.

Doubt Geelong region could sustain a team.

Back