Preview Best 22, Round 1 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I found it pretty funny after the first AFLX match when Campbell Brown was interviewing Melk, and was speaking as if playing Half Forward was a new role for him. Made me wonder how many people were clueless about the fact that he was up there with the best performing Half Forwards in the comp over the back end of last season ... and additionally, do Essendon fans realise that if he continues on that form, we've robbed them blind a second time!
Melk's never going to get over the Essendon hate train. But he keeps playing like that, bloody hell, he's going to be brilliant.

I'm a huge fan, and I definitely wasn't sold. He was made for that half-forward role, and he showed he can be a break-in-case-of-emergency midfield option too.

This is how I'd like us to line up to start round 1:

B: Jetta Omac Hibberd

HB: Lever Frost Hunt

C: Brayshaw Jones Lewis

HF: Melk Hogan Petracca

FF: ANB Tmac Garlett

R: Gawn Viney Oliver

IC: Salem Tyson Harmes Hannan

All our leaders start around the ball, along with Oliver (of course), and the scene is set for us to make a real statement of intent from the first bounce of the season, against a highly lauded opposition midfield. I don't doubt that we'll probably line up with something very different to this, but I'm starting to get frickin pumped for this game. It's gonna be awesome!

I can't wait for the first game. Although it's not the be all and end all of the season if Viney Jones Tyson Oliver Lewis and Trac/Bray can hold their own or beat Selwood Ablett Danger Duncan and Menegola then anything is possible in 2018

Excited for tomorrow. Meantime here's my updated Round 1 side
FB: N Jetta, O McDonald, S Frost
HB: J Hunt, J Lever, M Hibberd
C: C Salem, C Petracca, A Neal-Bullen
HF: J Melksham, J Hogan, N Jones
FF: J Garlett, T McDonald, M Hannan
Ruc: M Gawn, J Viney, C Oliver
Int: J Harmes, J Lewis, A Brayshaw, T Bugg

EMG: C Pedersen, B Vince, B Stretch

Assuming that Tyson is unavailable for Round 1

I can't wait for the first game. Although it's not the be all and end all of the season if Viney Jones Tyson Oliver Lewis and Trac/Bray can hold their own or beat Selwood Ablett Danger Duncan and Menegola then anything is possible in 2018
It's the first opening game we've had in years that actually has a big game feel to it.

B: Jetta OMac Hibberd
HB: Lewis Lever Hunt
C: Petracca Oliver ANB
HF: Melksham Hogan Fritsch
F: Garlett TMac Hannan
R: Gawn Viney Tyson
Int: Salem Brayshaw Harmes (Bugg/Vince/Stretch/someone)

I think Frost is out. He's not playing JLT1, he had a shocker late last year and we're going with a restructure.

B: Jetta OMac Hibberd
C: Petracca Oliver ANB
HF: Melksham Hogan Fritsch
F: Garlett TMac Hannan
Int: Salem Brayshaw Harmes (Bugg/Vince/Stretch/someone)

I think Frost is out. He's not playing JLT1, he had a shocker late last year and we're going with a restructure.
I think he'll be a matter of match ups with who we're up against, and will come in against the teams with 3 talls.

FB Jetta OMcDonald Lewis
HB Hunt Lever Hibberd
C Harmes Oliver Neal-Bullen
HF Petracca Hogan Melksham
FF Garlett TMcDonald Fritsch
R Gawn Jones Viney
IC Tyson Salem Hannan Frost

E Brayshaw Stretch Pedersen Maynard Vince Bugg J Smith Wagner

Those emergencies with genuine best 22 claims. Beautiful.

Last edited:
I know it is a praccy game but i reckon Harmes proved today he is a walk up start best 22 player.

I called it earlier and i stand by my call

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know it is a praccy game but i reckon Harmes proved today he is a walk up start best 22 player.

I called it earlier and i stand by my call

I always will be a Harmes fan

I think he did too, his athleticism combined with seemingly improved disposal is a good combination.
Very under rated player

I know we write him off every year but think Pedersen only plays if TMac or Hogan get injured, our half forwards (Hannan Fritsch Harmes and sometimes Petracca) are more than good enough in the air to cover when TMac rucks.

Damn Salem’s kicking was on point today, he cannot afford to get injured or suspended for stupid s**t if we are to feature past the first week of September. His ball use makes us such a better side.

Also anyone know if Frost was injured? If he wasn’t I really get the feeling the coaches don’t rate him that highly. If he is fit for JLT2 and doesn’t play against the saints tall forwards can’t see him playing round 1.

I know we write him off every year but think Pedersen only plays if TMac or Hogan get injured, our half forwards (Hannan Fritsch Harmes and sometimes Petracca) are more than good enough in the air to cover when TMac rucks.

Damn Salem’s kicking was on point today, he cannot afford to get injured or suspended for stupid s**t if we are to feature past the first week of September. His ball use makes us such a better side.

Also anyone know if Frost was injured? If he wasn’t I really get the feeling the coaches don’t rate him that highly. If he is fit for JLT2 and doesn’t play against the saints tall forwards can’t see him playing round 1.
Don't think the coaches rate Frost for whatever reason (probably his lack of game sense). They seem to prefer the 190cm types plus OMac for the gorillas and Jetta as Mr Fix It. Once a defender falls out of favour it's generally only injuries that get them back. Think Dunny back in 2016. A shame because Frost is capable of great highlights!

I had him pegged as a fringe player, but willing to concede I may have gone too early. Looks good
Seems like i was the only one who had him penned in for round 1.

But too be fair we all get a few right and a few really, really wrong

FB: Lever O McDonald Jetta
HB: Salem Hibberd Hunt
C: Jones Oliver Lewis
HF: Harmes Hogan Petracca
FF: Melksham T McDonald Garlett

I/C: ANB Stretch Fritsch Hannan

Revised side from me. Brayshaw needs time in the VFL because he’s going to be a liability otherwise, and Frost needs proven form too. I like Fritsch enough for a R1 berth - was lucky to constantly be in space yesterday given the lack of Norf pressure and he won’t get that against Geelong, but he’s a lively type and I like a forward rotation that has him, Garlett, Hannan, Trac, Harmes, and Melksham running through. Bugg not far off, still like him a lot as a player. I reckon the coaching staff will give Bernie a run, so Hannan probably to miss in the end

FB: Hibberd O Mac Jetta
C: Jones Oliver Salem
HF: ANB Hogan Petracca
FF: Garlett T Mac Melksham

I: Vince Harmes Bugg Fritsch

E: Hannan Brayshaw Stretch

Starting 18 picks itself if all fit. Nibbler is no longer fringe imo. That bench however is very tough to pick. Going to be some unlucky players in Round 1.

Seems like i was the only one who had him penned in for round 1.

But too be fair we all get a few right and a few really, really wrong

Mate I was all over harmes from day 1. Thing with a player of his ability is there are 200 others just like him in the AFL system who fall away every year because they don't work hard enough. Harmes ANB Melk and even Bugg look like they have busted their asses over pre season and look determined to be the best player they possible can be. Harmes took a mark on the back flank pinned a pass into the middle and by the time the ball was centred to the goal square he took and uncontested mark, that's elite work rate and the reason he is coming good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back