Game Day JLT1 v Norf - Kingston Twin Ovals, Hobart - Saturday

Tempy Tiger

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
I doubt we could accommodate a draft pick trade. Our next couple of 1st round picks would be too high and our 2nd round picks would be bettered by someone else. We also have Kelly in the cross hairs again at the end of 2019, so that will be the overriding priority (2019 and 2020 1st round picks). It all depends on what the Dees would want in return for what will basically be a surplus player. If we could cough up pick 20-22 in 2019 and the Dees would be happy to let either player leave for better opportunities, then that would be a good deal for us.
I’d trade Dom for pick 20-22 in a heartbeat. Gus I think I’d give a year to see if he can regain his confidence. But I think he might be done.

I suspect he wouldn't have been renewed if his contract elapsed at the end of 2017.

I think the plan has always been to use him as a playing coach and transition him into an off-field role.

I’d trade Dom for pick 20-22 in a heartbeat. Gus I think I’d give a year to see if he can regain his confidence. But I think he might be done.

Done? Dude is 22 and has come off a year missing a heap. Played pretty well at the back end of last year too.

Can we stop writing blokes off at 22 please.

Frosty was given a two year extension, so no need to administer the last rites just yet. If it had been one year it would be a worry, i’m just guessing the coaches don’t fully know our defensive structure now that we have Lever and that Frost, Smith and Wagner are all in with a shout for that last spot depending on form and opposition.

With regards to Gus, the impact of barely playing for two years at his age is huge. Add in the psychological impact of how serious the next head knock is, as well as the change of technique he’s had to learn to protect himself, and it’s no shock he looks wonky. Don’t be too hasty to judge.

Mar 31, 2010
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Middlesbrough FC
Do you think your mob is a little too top heavy with inside mids? Jones, Brayshaw, Oliver, Tyson, Viney and Lewis?
I think the great sides over the years have been like this though. I don't think you can really have too many, they just might not all make the side. The key theme I keep hearing out of melbourne management is 'versatility' though. Pretty much every player or coach interview you'll hear them say they want players to be able to play in multiple positions.

Out of that group, Jones, Lewis and Brayshaw have all played on the half back line.

Also, when last year happens and Gawn goes down, the midfield injuries tend to follow (in my opinion tgat contributed to them). There was a point in time last year where we had 4 or 5 of our top 6 mids out injured. Pretty sure if there's any position you absolutely want to bat deep in its inside mids. Absolutely cannot win finals without them.

I think out list is balanced better than it had been in forever. The only improvement I'd make is a genuine back up ruckman. Everywhere else on the park we have genuine competition for spots and players that can genuinely play 2 different positions. Whether they are good enough to be better than 17 other sides or haven't been Melbourned enough though is another issue

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Mar 31, 2010
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Middlesbrough FC
Bloody hell, just read the rest of this thread. Gus has one quiet NAB Cup game and he's finished?

Did we forget how much better we looked last year when he finally came back and rescued us of half back last year?

Sure, he doesn't really possess skills like Pendlebury but he has huge endurance, excellent tackling and strength and does sneak forward and kick the odd goal. He also wins his own ball at what, 22 years old? The only valid question mark is his head knock history. Not much anyone can do about that

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
Lewis was third in the B&F last season. Just cos he looks old and has been playing since the stone age doesn't mean he's on the way out.

Latter half of 2019 will be interesting for him but he's a lock for this season.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Done? Dude is 22 and has come off a year missing a heap. Played pretty well at the back end of last year too.

Can we stop writing blokes off at 22 please.

You can have a negative opinion on a player mate, this board assumes every young kid will be a superstar until the day they are delisted. I don't think Gus is anywhere close to delist territory but with everything that's happened I'd be surprised if his ceiling hasn't come dowm a little.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Just some insight from an Adelaide supporter in Lever

Great intercept player and according to Champion Data is the #1 intercept defender in the Comp, Jake is also good at leaving his man and creating a 2:1 situation helping out his other defenders

However the knock on Jake is his 1:1 defending, when isolated 1:1 he can get exploded and I think Champion Data has him in the top 5% of defenders in losing 1:1 contest

At Adelaide Jake was fortunate to have players like Talia and Hartigan that we’re able to play the KPD shutdown roles that means that our structure could allow Jake to play to his strengths and not expose
His weaknesses, the MFC will need to do something similar because I can’t see him playing that KPD role

Good win yesterday and all the best for 2018

Look I mean I doubt the coaching staff traded him in to be key back, I'm sure they were fully aware of what they were getting and intercept marking has been a bit of a weakness for us anyway so lever will be a bloody good add for us. I was a little concerned with how aggressive his pressing forward was though because it wasn't a high ball that was spoiled to his opponent it was a quick play where he was 20m towards our goal while his man got an easy one over the top. In any case we play a highly aggressive almost suicidal zone at times an it was his first pre season game but I worry teams will be able to expose him a lot more than they could at Adelaide.

You can have a negative opinion on a player mate, this board assumes every young kid will be a superstar until the day they are delisted. I don't think Gus is anywhere close to delist territory but with everything that's happened I'd be surprised if his ceiling hasn't come dowm a little.
‘Get rid of Brayshaw’ isn’t a negative opinion, it’s just ******* stupid. A negative opinion would be ‘yeah he’s not as good as he used to be’ but that’s not what people were saying, they’re talking about trading/delisting him as though that’s at all realistic when the club has outlined a clearly policy over the last few years of supporting players like Trengove, Clark, and Lumumba

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
‘Get rid of Brayshaw’ isn’t a negative opinion, it’s just ******* stupid. A negative opinion would be ‘yeah he’s not as good as he used to be’ but that’s not what people were saying, they’re talking about trading/delisting him as though that’s at all realistic when the club has outlined a clearly policy over the last few years of supporting players like Trengove, Clark, and Lumumba

I think it's a valid question to weigh up when we have a few inside midfielders who have gone past him and a few players like Harmes and ANB playing more influential roles. I don't think he plays round 1 at this stage which does open that door. Mind you I don't think it will happen for a second this season.

Franky_024

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
Any idea what Clarry did to Ben Jacobs? Copped a $1500 fine for "Misconduct" ... I assume he gave him one during a pretty hard tag?
"Melbourne midfielder Clayton Oliver was charged with misconduct against Ben Jacobs and can accept a $1500 fine with an early guilty plea. Oliver struck Jacobs to the body, but not with enough force to justify a low impact striking charge."

Remember seeing it on tv, similar to Ryders gut punch

I think it's a valid question to weigh up when we have a few inside midfielders who have gone past him and a few players like Harmes and ANB playing more influential roles. I don't think he plays round 1 at this stage which does open that door. Mind you I don't think it will happen for a second this season.
Gone past him? It's his fourth year and he's spent most of the past two injured. I agree that he won't play R1 but I think it's dangerous culture-wise for any club to consider shafting a young player who has through no fault of their own struggled a bit. That's not how you build lists

The debating of Brayshaw's career is surely a bi-product of there being generally only positives from Saturdays game doesn't it? Wowee.
Also a bi-product of Tempy Tiger being a bit lost after we finally traded Watts. Would have hurt that Tyson missed Saturday.

Back