FTA-TV Offsiders

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
Gotta say I find Kelly's voice really grates. It's at its most shrill when she's calling. Was hoping Paul Kennedy would get the hosting gig. Thought he was excellent when he took the guest hosting chair.

Except she's not calling during Offsiders.

Teagueeee15

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Gotta say I find Kelly's voice really grates. It's at its most shrill when she's calling. Was hoping Paul Kennedy would get the hosting gig. Thought he was excellent when he took the guest hosting chair.

Her calling of the AFLW on Fox has been good, her voice is nowhere near as nasally as it was when she broke through on channel 10’s AFL coverage.

bullish23

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2002
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
Her calling of the AFLW on Fox has been good, her voice is nowhere near as nasally as it was when she broke through on channel 10’s AFL coverage.

I’ve always thought she was a good AFL caller. Even back in the ch10 days (I know I’m pretty much on my own there).

However she knows nothing of any other sport and therefore is useless as offsiders host.

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I’ve always thought she was a good AFL caller. Even back in the ch10 days (I know I’m pretty much on my own there).

However she knows nothing of any other sport and therefore is useless as offsiders host.

That's rubbish. She's very knowledgeable on the netball and tennis.

Feb 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

Yeah, nah. She has a better all-round sporting knowledge than most.

For a long time, the knock on her was that her AFL knowledge was too heavily based on her love of Geelong. I’m not sure that applies so much now.

Feb 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
A good commentary yesterday on the ball tampering affair off a few hours' notice. But Kelli Underwood's little dig at Supersport's "extremely patriotic" camera work was weird - they're just fulfilling their role as the host broadcaster and have cameras everywhere. What else was expected?

I'm a bit tired of the "leave the girls alone, man!" group agreement that goes on re AFLW, especially when Leach and Caro get on the show. They had Bec Goddard only a few weeks ago saying that women's footy is a different product and the clubs agreed with the AFL approach to the game style. The best women's sport works precisely because it doesn't ape what the men do.

BartBart

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 30, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Jeremy McGovern called by multiple people on the panel "Mitch" a couple of weeks ago. But he is a bit of an unknown so probably understandable that a sports program would get that wrong.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
Bizarre seeing Michael Felgate from channel 7 hosting Offsiders this morning - among their own stable of Underwood, Kennedy, Nicholson etc they couldn't find an ABC person to host? I guess to make a political point, it demonstrates how far the cuts to the ABC have gone. They struggle to really nurture their own talent now cos they don't even have a dedicated sports journo on the 7pm news.

Feb 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
It's the Melbourne Cup show this Sunday, which frees up half an hour for me to do something else. A nice annual tradition

That's Barrie Cassidy's legacy - he's Melbourne Cup obsessed. I don't think ABC audiences share the same enthusiasm.

There are some fairly critical discussions to be had at the moment regarding cricket, soccer and basketball - half an hour just on the Cup is a waste.

Back