Preview Best 22, Round 1 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate I was all over harmes from day 1. Thing with a player of his ability is there are 200 others just like him in the AFL system who fall away every year because they don't work hard enough. Harmes ANB Melk and even Bugg look like they have busted their asses over pre season and look determined to be the best player they possible can be. Harmes took a mark on the back flank pinned a pass into the middle and by the time the ball was centred to the goal square he took and uncontested mark, that's elite work rate and the reason he is coming good.
He looks trimmed down and much faster this year too.

Can see him spending some time in the midfield

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yep Harmes has a massive work rate. I remember Brett Anderson saying he’s a player that gives 100% all game and was always like that.
I'm going to miss BA on SEN :(

I know it is a praccy game but i reckon Harmes proved today he is a walk up start best 22 player.

I called it earlier and i stand by my call

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Harmes has always been hovering around last picked/Just on the outer. Has played some really good games while also playing games having little impact. He has some great attributes like overhead marking, work rate & strength but like many others in our side his disposal can be awful. And not just his kicks but he misses his fair share of handballs to teammates as well. I also believe he got a bit ahead of himself in 2016 after he won a rising star nomination but last season he was a good role player.
I'm hoping yesterdays performance was a sign of things to come this season.

FB: Jetta Frost Hibberd
HB: Hunt Lever Lewis
C: Neal-Bullen Oliver Salem
HF: Petracca Hogan Melksham
FF: Garlett T. McDonald Hannan

Foll: Gawn Viney Jones
Int: Brayshaw Vince Pedersen Harmes

Update after JLT1, I really like Frost but it looks like O. McDonald will get the nod ahead of him.

Fritsch looks a likely starter and as much as a I like Pedersen I'm not sure he will be a first choice.

FB: Jetta O. McDonald Hibberd

Int: Fritsch Vince Brayshaw Harmes

Update after JLT1, I really like Frost but it looks like O. McDonald will get the nod ahead of him.

Fritsch looks a likely starter and as much as a I like Pedersen I'm not sure he will be a first choice.

FB: Jetta O. McDonald Hibberd

Int: Fritsch Vince Brayshaw Harmes
Team looks good. I’d have Tyson in though assuming he’s fit for round 1. Possibly with Vince out.

My team after JLT 1

Jetta Omac Hunt
Hibberd Lever Jones
Salem Viney ANB
Hannan Hogan Petracca
Melksham Mcdonald Garlett
Gawn Tyson Oliver

Harmes Fritsch Lewis ???

I'd pick Frost for the 4th bench spot but I suspect it'll go to Brayshaw or Vince
I reckon Vince will be in our side for round 1.

Jetta O Mac Hibberd
Hunt Lever Lewis
Jones Oliver Salem
ANB Hogan Melksham
Garlett T Mac Hannan
Gawn Viney Petracca
Tyson Fritsch Harmes Vince

Jetta Oscar Hibberd
Hunt Lever Lewis
ANB Jones Salem
Melksham Hogan Petracca
Garlett Tom Hannan
Gawn Viney Oliver
Fritsch Brayshaw Tyson Harmes

I don't think Lever will play CHB for long, and could see Frost coming in for Harmes pretty quickly. I also feel quite bad leaving Pedo out, still think he's great and could have a role to play with his versatility.

That backline is so short.

If a big forward gets hold of O Mac then who switches to play on him?

I can see another year of 200cm forwards kicking bags against us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TMac.

May not be necessary if teams start following the Richmond 2017 blueprint.

The backline accounted for North’s tall timber pretty comfortably, not withstanding the easy goals out the back. With T Mac as backup I don’t think it’s a concern.

I think it's fairly obvious that Goodwin doesn't rate frost, or at the very least has others ahead of him. I share the same belief. Breaking lines is important but hunt and hibberd can carry that torch. Composure and kicking skills is what frost lacks and jetta, lever and omac have this covered, as does lewis. Wagner doesn't have the composure quite yet but he has a decent left hoof and the flexibility to play as a mid.

Frost has some unique ability and athleticism but I don't see him fitting in to the Goodwin game plan

May not be necessary if teams start following the Richmond 2017 blueprint.

The backline accounted for North’s tall timber pretty comfortably, not withstanding the easy goals out the back. With T Mac as backup I don’t think it’s a concern.

It didn't really account for north though, our midfield smashed them so their forward delivery was poor. Wait till a side starts winning the midfield and giving the forwards one on one contests and we might struggle to stop sides again

Daniher should have had 10 on us at half time in the bombers game
Ben Brown was the difference in the the north game at the G
Tim Obrien gave us a bath against the Hawks

It didn't really account for north though, our midfield smashed them so their forward delivery was poor. Wait till a side starts winning the midfield and giving the forwards one on one contests and we might struggle to stop sides again

Daniher should have had 10 on us at half time in the bombers game
Ben Brown was the difference in the the north game at the G
Tim Obrien gave us a bath against the Hawks
Poor delivery or not, I thought they they were largely accounted for. it was the first test of this season and Waite and Brown kicked a couple each, with at least a couple of those being conceded on transition. Wait and see how we fare in JLT2 I guess.

What’s your response to the original question if you see it as an issue?

Poor delivery or not, I thought they they were largely accounted for. it was the first test of this season and Waite and Brown kicked a couple each, with at least a couple of those being conceded on transition. Wait and see how we fare in JLT2 I guess.

What’s your response to the original question if you see it as an issue?

Sorry what was the original question? Was it what do we do if Omac struggles?

Guess we could move Tmac back and play pedo forward or vice versa or get Sam Frost some 1 on 1 training with a former key defender like Darren Glass or someone of that ilk who isn't already at a club

Omac is a better option than Frost, yes Frost's is bigger, stronger faster but his game sense is not up to standard - he just runs and boots the ball and his defending craft on the big gys isn't that good.

Omac's ball use looked really good on the weekend, his defending craft is better than frost and with time will get better as he gets stronger.

I thought OMac was fine on the weekend. The defenders didn't have much to do and as a result he was caught unaware out the back a couple of times - but then again, so were Lever and Hibberd. Give them a few weeks to develop a dynamic along with Jetta and it won't happen so easily.

Omac is a better option than Frost, yes Frost's is bigger, stronger faster but his game sense is not up to standard - he just runs and boots the ball and his defending craft on the big gys isn't that good.

Omac's ball use looked really good on the weekend, his defending craft is better than frost and with time will get better as he gets stronger.

If Frost could keep his feet he would be preferred I reckon, but for some reason he just gets ahead of himself and either tries to accelerate to fast and falls over, tries to weave through oppo and falls over or does a U-turn and falls over.

I really like Frost in the team and he ought to fit in our defensive structure well as he has the pace to sprint back from pressing up hard, but his 1 on 1 defending and reading of the ball in flight is what is keeping him out of the side.

We will always get slaughtered by KPP's that lead and jump high at the ball like Daniher and Brown, and OMac and TMac will never have the acceleration to stop it. Frost could be the best matchup for defending these type of players but the coaching staff would need to make it his number 1 focus.

I really like Frost in the team and he ought to fit in our defensive structure well as he has the pace to sprint back from pressing up hard, but his 1 on 1 defending and reading of the ball in flight is what is keeping him out of the side.

We will always get slaughtered by KPP's that lead and jump high at the ball like Daniher and Brown, and OMac and TMac will never have the acceleration to stop it. Frost could be the best matchup for defending these type of players but the coaching staff would need to make it his number 1 focus.

Frost needs a lot of work, killed the team on a few occasions (that I noticed) last year with fantastic break the line play, then presented the ball on a silver platter to the opposition. If they can fix that, and he can handle the big forwards, he will turn into a massive asset for the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back