Best Current Player To Never Play AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Dav

Hotel? Trivago.
10k Posts Koala SFA State of Origin Coney Island Warriors - Sweet F.A. Pantskyle SFA Fight For MND SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Brisbane Dolphins Player - BFFCL BFFCL Club Captain Blue Mountain Bounders Player - BFFCL
Jul 23, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Brighton, McLaren F1
In the NT, a lot of people consider Cameron Ilett to be one of the better players in the country that never played at AFL level. At one stage, he went down to the SANFL and played but never got onto an AFL list. He's gone on to be probably the best player in NEAFL history and at the age of 32 will likely win his second Nichols Medal for best and fairest in the NTFL, after a very high profile move to Nightcliff. He has 6 best and fairests for NT Thunder and that award is now named the Ilett Medal after him and his brother.

Just wondering which players from the other major state leagues currently playing are also considered too good to have never played AFL.

Chris Cain just retired from the VFL but he was surely good enough physically and way too skilled not to get a chance. There was a rumour that the Pies chose between Cain and Dwyer (who did ok) as mature age rookies a few years ago.

Stephen Michael. Geelong had him signed up but he never made the move. WA based posters can tell us more about him but from all accounts he was a gun

Edit: Just saw the OP asked about "current" players. My bad

In the NT, a lot of people consider Cameron Ilett to be one of the better players in the country that never played at AFL level. At one stage, he went down to the SANFL and played but never got onto an AFL list. He's gone on to be probably the best player in NEAFL history and at the age of 32 will likely win his second Nichols Medal for best and fairest in the NTFL, after a very high profile move to Nightcliff. He has 6 best and fairests for NT Thunder and that award is now named the Ilett Medal after him and his brother.

Just wondering which players from the other major state leagues currently playing are also considered too good to have never played AFL.
His brother was pretty bloody good too. Unlucky not to get picked up as well.

Anthony Anastasio who used to play for Williamstown but now is at Port Melbourne.

I don't know all that much about the 2nd tier leagues around Australia but this guy stands out to me.

Anthony Anastasio who used to play for Williamstown but now is at Port Melbourne.

I don't know all that much about the 2nd tier leagues around Australia but this guy stands out to me.
Really? He's about 5 foot tall and quite a handy small forward at VFL level. Nowhere near this category though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hi Cameron!

In recent times in the VFL it'd be Michael Gibbons, Willie Wheeler, Toby Pinwill, Lucas Cook, etc.

Is this the same Lucas Cook that was a top-10 draft pick for Melbourne, but couldn't crack a game in a rubbish Demons side, and was delisted after just two years on an AFL list?

Had a number of chances to prove himself with the big fish but chose to stay in a small pond.

Yeah ok.
Back then your VFL + West Coast wasnt actually any better than the SANFL.
Keep up your fantasies.

92-93-94 we won SOO each year.

Andrew Jarman played in your expanded VFL and still listed McIntosh as his toughest opponent.

Yeah ok.
Back then your VFL + West Coast wasnt actually any better than the SANFL.
Keep up your fantasies.

92-93-94 we won SOO each year.

Andrew Jarman played in your expanded VFL and still listed McIntosh as his toughest opponent.

David Rhys Jones was tough. Doesnt mean he was more than an above average player.

I have always loved the way SAussies talk about State of Origin like it means something. Look at the teams Victoria sent over the years. Top players were always rested because coaches didnt want to risk them for a nothing event. SAussie teams on the other hand... full of "SAussie stars" who wanted to prove themselves in front of SAussie only crowds, because they games were pretty much only ever played in South Australia.

Oh wait, I looked at the wiki. Oh dear.

"Former North Adelaide and Norwood player Andrew Jarman cited McIntosh as his toughest SANFL opponent."

Also, Andrew Jarman was the very inferior of the 2 Jarmans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back