Remove this Banner Ad

Well, I have no idea how, but KC Karan has scored 42 off 31 and won Nepal the game off the last ball.

While on the other pitch Namibia fell 20 runs short of their target, and Oman has snuck home by two wickets after going at 8 an over for the first ten overs or so.

So despite probably being the best two teams in the tournament, Namibia and Canada miss out on the World Cup Qualifier, and are stuck in cricketing limbo with absolutely no idea when their next international games will be. It's possible that whoever wins in their playoff for 3rd tomorrow will be in the next WCL Championship (thanks to the Netherlands playing in the big league), and that both will be able to play in the next Intercontinental Cup...but we have no idea what the plans are for either, because the ICC hasn't told us.

(Canada would've been hoping for a dot off the last ball, because a tie would've sent both teams through and forced the UAE to miss out!)

Well, I have no idea how, but KC Karan has scored 42 off 31 and won Nepal the game off the last ball.

While on the other pitch Namibia fell 20 runs short of their target, and Oman has snuck home by two wickets after going at 8 an over for the first ten overs or so.

So despite probably being the best two teams in the tournament, Namibia and Canada miss out on the World Cup Qualifier, and are stuck in cricketing limbo with absolutely no idea when their next international games will be. It's possible that whoever wins in their playoff for 3rd tomorrow will be in the next WCL Championship (thanks to the Netherlands playing in the big league), and that both will be able to play in the next Intercontinental Cup...but we have no idea what the plans are for either, because the ICC hasn't told us.

(Canada would've been hoping for a dot off the last ball, because a tie would've sent both teams through and forced the UAE to miss out!)
That was insane. I was just watching the score updates and was getting goosebumps. Can't imagine how hard it would be for Canada and Namibia. Wish more people knew about this stuff it's cricket at its best.

That was insane. I was just watching the score updates and was getting goosebumps. Can't imagine how hard it would be for Canada and Namibia. Wish more people knew about this stuff it's cricket at its best.

I actually put my hand over my mouth in shock when I saw 49.5 Pervez to Karan KC, SIX

Erasmus got out to a full toss just as he had reached full flow too. He has been one of the players of the tournament, and yet he must be feeling like he failed to get his team over the line.
Yep and now he doesn't know where his career lies. Just adds to the disappointment. Hopefully more cricket for all these teams at this tournament

It might turn out alright for them, but with the massive funding cut it's hard to know. There were whispers that the ICC would be scrapping the ICup now that Ireland and Afghanistan have 'graduated' because they're short on funding for it...but the last WCL Championship included the top four Associates from the Qualifier, plus the top four from Division Two.

Division Three will be held later this year, so it may end up being that Division Two will be played again next year? And then the Championship will begin after that.

Glad to see Nepal get there. When they made the T20 Worlds a few years back, there was a little bit of media about how they get crowds for their local (T20) comp. A bit like how Bangladesh sued to get crowds for club games before their rise to the Test tier. Its hard to see Nepal getting any further, especially with a ten team world cup; but good to see progress in a longer form than T20.

Well, the least exciting day of WCL tournaments has begun - the finals. They don't really mean much other than bragging rights, although the result of UAE vs Nepal will decide which group the two teams are in at the WCQ next month. Beyond that, the top two teams are still through, the bottom two teams are still relegated, and the middle two teams are still in limbo, so...?

Gondaria has figured he may as well do what he did a couple of days ago against Namibia, and is currently 57 off 29. Sedate start for the UAE. Gunasekera was out for a duck, but Canada have been scoring well enough since then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, the least exciting day of WCL tournaments has begun - the finals. They don't really mean much other than bragging rights, although the result of UAE vs Nepal will decide which group the two teams are in at the WCQ next month. Beyond that, the top two teams are still through, the bottom two teams are still relegated, and the middle two teams are still in limbo, so...?

Gondaria has figured he may as well do what he did a couple of days ago against Namibia, and is currently 57 off 29. Sedate start for the UAE. Gunasekera was out for a duck, but Canada have been scoring well enough since then.
I guess in the past teams have thought games are dead rubbers only for the ICC to decide they meant everything in stuff like the WCL, status or funding so they might be important they might not.

So with that, my team of the tournament:

R Gunasekera (Can) - 216 runs @ 36.00
His average was brought down by the last game and the final, but Gunasekera was one of the crucial pieces of the puzzle for Canada. His first four games brought them within an inch of the title.

Rohan Mustafa (UAE) - 183 runs @ 36.60, 13 wickets @ 12.38
The stats overstate how well Mustafa performed during the tournament, massively. But there were few stand-out performers with the bat in the tournament, and his economical bowling was crucial in a couple of games. His behaviour after the presentation probably deserves a ban from this team, but there's no-one to replace him.

NR Kumar* (Can) - 206 runs @ 41.20
By contrast, here's a young captain who is polite and intelligent...and a match-winner. Got his team over the line against the UAE with his shrewdness, which should've been enough to get Canada a WCQ berth.

CG Williams (Nam) - 225 runs @ 45.00, 9 wickets @ 22.88
An unheralded player who can lay claim to being Namibia's greatest ever player, Williams was half of the reason his team had a shot at winning the whole thing. Two of his great performances, alas, came in losing causes.

Ghulam Shabber (UAE) - 204 runs @ 34.00
Technically Shabber could be picked as a wicket-keeper, but he only took three catches and no stumpings in six games. Thankfully his batting made up for it, particularly with a match-winning knock against Oman.

MG Erasmus (Nam) - 229 runs @ 57.25
It will be a crying shame if Erasmus disappears from the world of cricket after what was, to be honest, a coming of age tournament. The 22 year old had only one failure - a duck in the first game - and was, in my opinion, the player of the tournament.

Hamza Tariq+ (Can) - 77 runs @ 15.40, 12 catches & 2 stumpings
Hit boundaries and did very well behind the stumps.

N Dutta (Can) - 11 wickets @ 11.45
In only two matches did Dutta stray into going at 3 runs an over - and I mean that in the literal sense. Never did he get near even 3.5 an over. Dutta forced batsmen to see him off, allowing his teammates the freedom to attack at the other end.

Sompal Kami (Nep) - 10 wickets @ 23.00
There were a few bowlers who could've got this position, but Kami's efforts early in the tournament against Namibia and the UAE deserve special praise for putting his team on the attack, and providing the path for his bowlers to get stuck into the middle order. He was also relatively economical, particularly given fast bowlers copped it a lot more than spinners.

S Lamichhane (Nep) - 17 wickets @ 10.35

While I think the stats somewhat overstate his impact, there's no doubt that Lamichhane was the bowler of the tournament. He seemed to be taking wickets for fun, and always in a row, which kept the pressure on his opponents.

Bilal Khan (Oman) - 17 wickets @ 10.76

When he's on, he's really on. Took at least one wicket in every match, and made Oman seem like a genuine threat, especially with his 5/33 that nearly derailed Namibia's chances completely.

Namibian veterans Craig Williams and Sarel Burger have retired. Williams will be an especially big loss.
Sad to hear. Probably the right time though, Namibian cricket has a future but they don't have much to look forward to for the next few years except provincials. Hopefully, their young squad can stick together.

I was looking through some stats earlier today and was wondering what happened to Afghan pace bowler Izatullah Dawlatzai. Low and behold, he's just been announced in the German squad for the T20 European qualifier. Would like to know the story behind that.
I think his fiance moved there so he moved to be with her.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back