Preview Best 22, Round 1 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

That backline is so short.

If a big forward gets hold of O Mac then who switches to play on him?

I can see another year of 200cm forwards kicking bags against us.

But that's what good key forwards do, they kick bags against anyone.

Our game plan will seemingly always allow the odd cheap goal out the back or mismatch in the goal square. I suspect Goodwin is happy to take one of those a quarter if we can play the rest of the game on our terms.

Feel like people are remembering frost 2016 not 17. Whilst he doesn't have elite disposal he tidied it up last year. It's his defensive work that isn't getting him a game

If he could fix up his aerial work, he'd be fine. He can certainly work back as hard as anyone defensively.

We'll probably need to find a replacement for OMac at some point this season as he's one of our better forward options. Hogan may find himself playing a more defensive role this year.

It's like you aren't even trying anymore.

That's a fair assessment. I'm going to take your feedback on board and spend some time reflecting on my past behaviour. I will return at a later date, refreshed, renewed and ready to meaningfully contribute to the interesting discussion taking place in this forum.

You're still a campaigner though.

That's a fair assessment. I'm going to take your feedback on board and spend some time reflecting on my past behaviour. I will return at a later date, refreshed, renewed and ready to meaningfully contribute to the interesting discussion taking place in this forum.

Spoken like someone who’s had to roll that line out in the work place more than once!

I wish I could like this again after just now discovering the last part of your post

Time to go back & read all your posts just to see if there are any easter eggs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really like Frost in the backline as it allows Lever to concentrate on intercepting and launching attacks quickly. Frost has his downsides but his weapons are huge imo. If he's in form, I'd play him.

I'd like to look like this as a best 22 - I've got Lewis and Vince out of the team (although I can't imagine the footy dept actually doing that).

B Hibberd O Mac Jetta
HB Lever Frost Hunt
C Salem Tyson Jones
HF Petracca Hogan ANB
F Hannan T Mac Jeffy
Foll Gawn Oliver Viney
Inter Melksham Brayshaw Harmes Fritsch
Emerg Pedo Lewis Vince Bugg

I really like Frost in the backline as it allows Lever to concentrate on intercepting and launching attacks quickly. Frost has his downsides but his weapons are huge imo. If he's in form, I'd play him.

I'd like to look like this as a best 22 - I've got Lewis and Vince out of the team (although I can't imagine the footy dept actually doing that).

B Hibberd O Mac Jetta
HB Lever Frost Hunt
C Salem Tyson Jones
HF Petracca Hogan ANB
F Hannan T Mac Jeffy
Foll Gawn Oliver Viney

Problem is his one on one defending is one his biggest weaknesses

B Hibberd O Mac Jetta
HB Lever Frost Hunt
C Salem Tyson Jones
HF Petracca Hogan ANB
F Hannan T Mac Jeffy
Foll Gawn Oliver Viney
Watching us v the Roos I have a feeling we’ll tey and play a more mobile defence. And potentially Wagner or Smith get a gig and have to play a little taller on occasion. Having said that Frost is very agile and super quick. I actually think having him means we are quiet versatile as he can play tall or on smaller players.
I think Lewis is a lock. He plays if fit. I personally didn’t see both Vince and Lewis playing this year but have a feeling the coaches will pick both.

B Hibberd O Mac Jetta
HB Lever Frost Hunt
C Salem Tyson Jones
HF Petracca Hogan ANB
F Hannan T Mac Jeffy
Foll Gawn Oliver Viney

I really like this team, but I want both Lewis and Bernie in there to start the season. I would take out Brayshaw, but for the life of me I can't pick a second to take out. Let's hope Tyson isn't fit (even though I rate him) :think:

On a side note, if we have Vince & Lewis in the team it gives us the opportunity to rest Salem & Jones, who are both excellent kicks for goal, up forward as opposed to down back. I like that idea.

Does anyone hope that Viney plays like 50 percent forward pocket, 50 percent midfield. Would be a very good short term solution to our forward pressure woes and it looks like ANB Trac will take up even more of Vineys minutes in the guts anyway. Since our bench is likely to have a few guys who can play all over the ground like Pedersen, Harmes, Gus, Lewis, Vince, Maynard, Stretch, Bugg etc. does that mean Viney’s minutes in the guts are accounted for?

I’m all for Petracca Oliver Tyson Salem playing heavy minutes together since all 4 are primarily seen as extractors, but the former 3 hav pretty underdeveloped outside games and their spread from a contest is subpar. If the former 3 especially can learn to properly spread from a clearances, that means that Viney can ease back into his inside midfielder role without major issues. But whilst these guys are developing their outside games, could we use Viney as a small forward more and try to solve one of our issues this way, because I feel like we didn’t make the most of Jack as a midfielder last season from rounds 1-10, and he mainly shone in the middle of the season when we were struck down by injury to Jones, Salem, Brayshaw, Tyson etc.

If anyone here follows soccer I feel we have a real Bayern Munich dilemma with our surplus of midfielders, which has shunted Kimmich to RB(and it seems h will stay there forever, much like->)Alaba to LB and it seems he will never return to midfield where he originated, Rudy to CB/RB although he was depth in the first place, Martinez to CB at times despite being a top 5 CDM in the world, and the problem only gets more complicated with Goretzka coming in. What I am proposing with Viney is similar to the Kimmich move to RB, but I am worried if fans will be okay if Viney ends up playing forward pocket almost permanently, because Oliver Petracca Tyson are already midfield stalwarts, Salem is being pegged for a move there, ofc we have Jones and then to succeed him we have Balic, Maynard and Brayshaw too.

Does anyone hope that Viney plays like 50 percent forward pocket, 50 percent midfield. Would be a very good short term solution to our forward pressure woes and it looks like ANB Trac will take up even more of Vineys minutes in the guts anyway. Since our bench is likely to have a few guys who can play all over the ground like Pedersen, Harmes, Gus, Lewis, Vince, Maynard, Stretch, Bugg etc. does that mean Viney’s minutes in the guts are accounted for?

I’m all for Petracca Oliver Tyson Salem playing heavy minutes together since all 4 are primarily seen as extractors, but the former 3 hav pretty underdeveloped outside games and their spread from a contest is subpar. If the former 3 especially can learn to properly spread from a clearances, that means that Viney can ease back into his inside midfielder role without major issues. But whilst these guys are developing their outside games, could we use Viney as a small forward more and try to solve one of our issues this way, because I feel like we didn’t make the most of Jack as a midfielder last season from rounds 1-10, and he mainly shone in the middle of the season when we were struck down by injury to Jones, Salem, Brayshaw, Tyson etc.
I don’t mind it only because Viney’s extractions up forward tend to lead to goals

Petracca has a pretty good outside game, he is a genuine in/out mid. Rest of your post I agree with though, problem is Vineys drive is so important to our side (He has that Selwood quality of willing himself to win the clearance).

I said exactly this in another thread earlier. There is no way he’s going to have the fitness base to play the sort of midfield minutes he did last year for the first month or so, and splitting his time mid and forward seems the logical option. I hope he’s fixed his set shot kicking, because I reckon he’ll create a few for himself!

Petracca has a pretty good outside game, he is a genuine in/out mid. Rest of your post I agree with though, problem is Vineys drive is so important to our side (He has that Selwood quality of willing himself to win the clearance).
Agree play Petracca forward and midfield,Viney is a midfielder first imo.

Absolutely, carried us on our backs Vs the Eagles and first half Vs Port really sets the tone..think we make finals if Viney plays vs Pies last season.

But the young guys need to learn how to play with intensity like Viney if we are going to make finals because one man isn’t enough. Jelwood over the last two years had Danger and Duncan next to him and he’s still not getting a flag. It’s because the Guthrie’s, Caddy’s, Motlops,Blicavs, Cockatoos haven’t become consistent contributors. We have consistent contribution from Clarry and Jones, but we need more consistency from Tyson, Salem, Stretch, Trac etc.

You’re right on Trac thinking back to the large number of outside fifty goals he has scored spreading from a clearance. Seriously excited about him. We will have some really exciting games this season, Hope we can get 80 touches and 3 goals a week from Clarry/Trac/Tyson,if so I think we will make a deep run into finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back