FTA-TV AFL 360 2018

mr bagcroft

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
King & Sellers, yeah nah...
One is a lunatic for pointless stats, the other bit of a dinosaur.
Murphy/Riewoldt is a no brainer.

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I would have contemplated some changes to coaches night. To be honest, Chris Scott and Alan Richardson aren't exactly interesting to listen to. Either bin the segment, or have some different coaches on each Monday night.

My concern with recently retired players joining the media is some can have a tendency to be very reluctant to criticise their ex club, ex team mates and maybe players in general. I hope Bob Murphy and Nick Riewoldt prove me wrong in that regard.

Last edited:

mr bagcroft

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Chris Scott is good I think. Alan Richardson is very stock and cliched and talks a lot without saying much at all.

Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
Chris Scott is pretty good, he's super articulate and a little grumpy towards Robbo sometimes (which we all want). Not to Buckley's extent though!

Richardson is terrible. Can't think of a good replacement though. Must be a Vic based coach. Clarkson and Bevo probably wouldn't be interested, Worsfold, Goodwin and Bolton would be just as boring as Richo. Bucks has gone. Brad Scott would be pointless if Chris is already there! haha... Hardwick might be good value now that's he's won a flag and his job is safe. He's pretty good in the media.

Get two new players on too - J Riewoldt and Lewis are articulate enough but pretty boring. Get someone a bit funnier on as players will never say anything controversial.

mr bagcroft

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
King must have pissed someone off in the higher ranks at Fox Footy because he has been booted from On The Couch too.
Or maybe his bullshit stats he makes up and craps on about incessantly has just got really tired. Seriously it’s just absolute rubbish of the highest level. Metres gained? Possessions per picking the shorts out of the bum etc. absolute hogwash.

The show felt stale last year, so it needs a revitalisation this year. It was peaking around 2014/2015.

It's become bland because the showrunners are content with filling the entire length of scheduling with boring interviews with players and coaches who have nothing to say.

Rather than the lively discussion and debate about the former weekends games and a preview of upcoming games we just get cliched answers to uninteresting questions.

Chris Scott is pretty good, he's super articulate and a little grumpy towards Robbo sometimes (which we all want). Not to Buckley's extent though!

Richardson is terrible. Can't think of a good replacement though. Must be a Vic based coach. Clarkson and Bevo probably wouldn't be interested, Worsfold, Goodwin and Bolton would be just as boring as Richo. Bucks has gone. Brad Scott would be pointless if Chris is already there! haha... Hardwick might be good value now that's he's won a flag and his job is safe. He's pretty good in the media.

Get two new players on too - J Riewoldt and Lewis are articulate enough but pretty boring. Get someone a bit funnier on as players will never say anything controversial.

I second bringing in Hardwick. He's a great conversationalist.

mr bagcroft

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
It's become bland because the showrunners are content with filling the entire length of scheduling with boring interviews with players and coaches who have nothing to say.

Rather than the lively discussion and debate about the former weekends games and a preview of upcoming games we just get cliched answers to uninteresting questions.
Alan Richardson dosent help that. Gives nothing. Personality of a warmed up taco.

Recorded the show last year and just ended up watching first 10-15 mins of each show. The players and coaches were boring as batshit. Bring in other journos or ex players to have some kind of discussion. Really poor stale format

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Recorded the show last year and just ended up watching first 10-15 mins of each show. The players and coaches were boring as batshit. Bring in other journos or ex players to have some kind of discussion. Really poor stale format

100% agree I did exactly the same. Mixing up the players and coaches is a must. Never understood the Bob Murphy fanfare, just used to put me to sleep.

Problem with current players/coaches is they always have to toe the line to stay in the industry. I’d much rather hear from someone who perhaps retired a few years ago, still has insight but far enough removed to actually be able to say something

wagstaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2001
The Sea of Holes
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars, Arsenal

Totally agree; amazed it still rates as well as it does.

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
Mondays should be no guests - enough footy to talk about
One night should be coaches - but maybe have a pool of 4-5 they rotate from? Including those out of Melb via video
One night can be players - again, a pool to rotate, and again, via video if need be
and then Bob and Nick as regulars (just out of game, but easy enough to handle for 15 mins each week)

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Mondays should be no guests - enough footy to talk about
One night should be coaches - but maybe have a pool of 4-5 they rotate from? Including those out of Melb via video
One night can be players - again, a pool to rotate, and again, via video if need be
and then Bob and Nick as regulars (just out of game, but easy enough to handle for 15 mins each week)

Yes I quickly grew sick of Monday night Geelong and St Kilda fest, and the players night is often not any better either as those nights tend to be largely devoted to discussing those players teams.

enzso

Senior List
Mar 6, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton

It's good for variety but interviews via video suck, especially when it's supposed to be a conversation. There's always delay, and the video guy always feels like a hanger-on. I wouldn't like to see a video guest as a semi-regular, unless he's the only guest for that segment.

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
It's good for variety but interviews via video suck, especially when it's supposed to be a conversation. There's always delay, and the video guy always feels like a hanger-on. I wouldn't like to see a video guest as a semi-regular, unless he's the only guest for that segment.
True, once a month or so will do. can then cover coaches of freo/west coast, adel/por adel, GC/bris, and Syd/GWS

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Yes I quickly grew sick of Monday night Geelong and St Kilda fest, and the players night is often not any better either as those nights tend to be largely devoted to discussing those players teams.

Yeah originally wasn't the idea they get the same players/coaches on to talk all football? But every week it was about their teams only and most people don't give a s**t about their teams and boring cliché answers

AFL 360 returns on March 19 at 7.30pm AEDT

As mentioned in another thread, Bob Murphy has signed for Fox Footy and will be a regular on the show.
Am I the only one who gets annoyed with Bob Murphy?

His 'I'm too cool for school s**t as I listen to 60's rock and write poems' persona is annoying as *

The_Eagles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2005
North Fremantle
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
australia
Coaches and players night, utterly boring. Talking about suspensions, boring. Crossing to Sam Mitchell or Dan Hannebery or whoever, boring. Melbourne Storm player coming on, boring.

I just want discussion and debate on the games, tactics, politics, forecasting, predicting, Brownlow favourites, trade value etc.

Kinda like the ESPN shows.

I dont even watch the interview section for On The Couch, you learn nothing.

Back