Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Well folks.

There's Majak Daw for you.

Gives away 8cms and 10 kgs to a bloke, with the ball dropping in his lap, and still gets pushed out of position.

A disgrace. There's no other word for it.

ABray10

All Australian
Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
I've also had shitty experiences w/ HR when the proles have complained about the manner in which I've whipped them (or, as you describe it, "constructively criticised"- I like that!).

To be honest though, I'm not sure whether this is a result of a "softer" generation or the fact that people like me are just complete assholes to work for.

As a 28 year old I suspect I fall into the category of young kid not taking feedback well. However I can say from my experience that a lot of the older people I work with (prior generations) have no ability to adapt and little desire to learn new skills. The amount of whinging I hear from people about not being able to use this or that piece of software, who then steadfastly refuse to learn the skill is quite frustrating. Yet I get a 20 year old who barely speaks English in and they learn how to use the software in a couple of weeks.

I guess what I am getting at is that different generations might have a different view on tough, based on the current environment that generation has grown up with.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I've also had shitty experiences w/ HR when the proles have complained about the manner in which I've whipped them (or, as you describe it, "constructively criticised"- I like that!).

To be honest though, I'm not sure whether this is a result of a "softer" generation or the fact that people like me are just complete assholes to work for.

You sound like a terribly mean and inconsiderate person to work for. Pity. Such a pity.

“We’re staying in Apollo Bay for 2 weeks” and the family would go on the arranged day and all have a good time or whatever.
That was how holidays worked round my place, but its revisionist rubbish to say that everyone went along with it and had a great time because they were kids who 'grew up right'. The divorce rate has been at 50% for years now, how many broken families has that caused? Is that owing more to the entitled nature of Baby Boomers and Gen X, or the fact that Gen Y kids didn't want to go to Apollo Bay for two weeks?

I really think that the best way to judge a generation is to analyse the one that they were responsible for bringing up. Gen Y haven't had much of a crack at it yet, lets see how it falls in 10 years.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Knees and heads don’t come together that often though, right? If somebody elected to enter a marking contest with their knee and caused injury (or was deemed dangerous enough that it could have caused injury), I imagine in the current system they would be cited and have a case to answer.

Seen quite a few knees to the back of the head in marking contests (Howe, Daniher, etc) and I'm surprised they don't do something about that. You'd think someone putting their knee into the base of someone's skull is somewhat of a risk given they've no way to protect themselves. Certainly more of a risk than high contact when a player can see the other guy coming (and then position themselves to get a clip across the noggin accordingly).

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
That was how holidays worked round my place, but its revisionist rubbish to say that everyone went along with it and had a great time because they were kids who 'grew up right'. The divorce rate has been at 50% for years now, how many broken families has that caused? Is that owing more to the entitled nature of Baby Boomers and Gen X, or the fact that Gen Y kids didn't want to go to Apollo Bay for two weeks?

I really think that the best way to judge a generation is to analyse the one that they were responsible for bringing up. Gen Y haven't had much of a crack at it yet, lets see how it falls in 10 years.
Don’t get me wrong. I’m not necessarily saying old school grew up right. Nor was the random consultant who raised the matter. His point was that in more recent generations the rights and choices of the child have been championed - and that this could make a difference (good and bad) in how they think and act. I didn’t regard it as crazy when he said it.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Don’t get me wrong. I’m not necessarily saying old school grew up right. Nor was the random consultant who raised the matter. His point was that in more recent generations the rights and choices of the child have been championed - and that this could make a difference (good and bad) in how they think and act. I didn’t regard it as crazy when he said it.

Children who answer anything other than "Wally World" when quizzed on holiday destination should be punished severely.

Baby Boomers are the worst generation. I reckon their parents were brilliant. I reckon soft parenting is the X response to the near abuse we copped from Boomer parents.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Children who answer anything other than "Wally World" when quizzed on holiday destination should be punished severely.
I actually have that DVD somewhere. I’m too drunk to find it now but I am scheduling it for tomorrow.

Seen quite a few knees to the back of the head in marking contests (Howe, Daniher, etc) and I'm surprised they don't do something about that. You'd think someone putting their knee into the base of someone's skull is somewhat of a risk given they've no way to protect themselves. Certainly more of a risk than high contact when a player can see the other guy coming (and then position themselves to get a clip across the noggin accordingly).
Nah, firstly hangers are pretty rare, secondly, the percentage of hangers that result in knee/head contact would be relatively low. The most would be knee/upper back and knee/shoulder. Thirdly, due to gravity, in the rare event that a knee contacts a head in a marking contest, there is usually nowhere near as much force involved. Overall, an order of magnitude lower risk, compared to “the bump”. In my humble opinion of course.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Nah, firstly hangers are pretty rare, secondly, the percentage of hangers that result in knee/head contact would be relatively low. The most would be knee/upper back and knee/shoulder. Thirdly, due to gravity, in the rare event that a knee contacts a head in a marking contest, there is usually nowhere near as much force involved. Overall, an order of magnitude lower risk, compared to “the bump”. In my humble opinion of course.

The hangers that end up on the highlight reel are pretty rare, but guys leaping into packs or trying to use old mate in front of them as a stool is a pretty common occurrence. If a guy has a running jump at the pill, he'll have plenty of forward momentum, and if the guy in front of him is back-pedalling, relative velocities are greater. Plus, Porky on the spot in front doesn't have eyes in the back of his head. I don't think gravity is going to protect me if Nic Natainui takes a running leap and uses my aft bonce as a step.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
The point is *head contact* not a knee in the back. It's not rocket science, AFL doesn't have a problem with hard footy, marking contests. They have a problem with intentional, reckless or careless head high contact that can lead in the short term to concussions and in the long term brain damage.

Now your seperating knees to the head and shoulders to the head because you like watching one but not the other when in reality they are the same. Tell Sam Newman or Tom Lonergan that a knee to the back is nothing who both spent days in the hospital half dead getting blood supplies replaced that a knee to the back is nothing.

DeesFanTheMan

Team Captain
Feb 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Cubs, NUFC
Now your seperating knees to the head and shoulders to the head because you like watching one but not the other when in reality they are the same. Tell Sam Newman or Tom Lonergan that a knee to the back is nothing who both spent days in the hospital half dead getting blood supplies replaced that a knee to the back is nothing.

aeM37Op_700b.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

That interview was painful to watch.

"So you're saying [complete misrepresentation of his point]"