Will we win a flag in the next 3 years?

Remove this Banner Ad

We have to or I fear for this clubs future. With zero success for so long, and having finally a list that is truly capable of sustained finals football, there really is no excuses. I suspect we still need a very good outside runner on our list for it to happen, but as the Dogs and Tigers have shown, anything is possible with some talent and hard work. And we have both those things working for us right now. So the answer is yes. And it will be bloody magnificent when it does finally happen!!

We have to or I fear for this clubs future. With zero success for so long, and having finally a list that is truly capable of sustained finals football, there really is no excuses. I suspect we still need a very good outside runner on our list for it to happen, but as the Dogs and Tigers have shown, anything is possible with some talent and hard work. And we have both those things working for us right now. So the answer is yes. And it will be bloody magnificent when it does finally happen!!
Just gotta be patient. Our Rance, Riewoldt, Cotchin, and Dusty are 7 years younger than their Richmond counterparts. If we win one in the next three years it’ll be great, but not the end of the world if we don’t.

I honestly think if we can get our act together and paste over the gaps, we are good enough talent wise to win back to back. 2019 & 2020. The mental demons need exstinguishing, and I think this year could be the year to build the confidence in our group to give them the boost they need to pull it all together next year.

I think that there are a few teams on the rise, Collingwood could come through the ranks quickly (potentially), and I’d expect Hawthorn to rebuild fast, but I think our competition is beatable. GWS have a poor 2018 and they’ll lose more players, Geelong will have a 31 year old Selwood next year and a 35 year old Ablett, Adelaide & Port are a ‘who knows’ scenario, and Sydney are going to thereabouts again for at least another 2 years. Richmond id expect to give it a big tilt again next year, and Essendon could be in a similar position to us.

I think our list is capable of winning one flag minimum in the next 3-4 years, but if we can get galvanised mentally, I feel a back to back is on the card table.

So you’re penciling in this year?
I'm so sure I am using permanent marker to mark it in.

2019 is the problem. I foresee a premiership hangover where we are bundled out by 2 pints in the prelim.

Then in 2020 after an off season of home truths we go 21-1 and win the premiership. We have 9 AA squad players that year as well in particular order Gawn, Hogan, Oliver, Petracca, Viney, Lever, Jetta, ANB & Harmes

I'm so sure I am using permanent marker to mark it in.

2019 is the problem. I foresee a premiership hangover where we are bundled out by 2 pints in the prelim.

Then in 2020 after an off season of home truths we go 21-1 and win the premiership. We have 9 AA squad players that year as well in particular order Gawn, Hogan, Oliver, Petracca, Viney, Lever, Jetta, ANB & Harmes
We haven’t played finals for 12 years Sting Dog. How do you see this unfolding in the finals?

It half depends on how good Petracca, Oliver, and Hogan get, and how good ANB, Brayshaw, and Tyson (etc) can get. First three can be in the top 10 players in the comp. If the second lot come good there’s no way we don’t win one, but we need to have a strong bottom half of our best 22

We haven’t played finals for 12 years Sting Dog. How do you see this unfolding in the finals?
Petracca.

Cometh the moment.....cometh the man!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Dees need to get the offensive aspects in to line to take the next step.

They do this and they should be right in contention.
Snake you’re in danger of becoming an honorary member of this board. I have a soft spot for the Roos. Have an uncle and two cousins who played with them and my entire immediate family follows them. I used to love watching the Krakours and that big red headed o baller you had. Was his name Roberts?

The Dees need to get the offensive aspects in to line to take the next step.

They do this and they should be right in contention.
Offensively I am not overly worried. It’s the mental game we need to get right. We need to have 22 players playing every week that won’t accept anything less than winning every week.

Snake you’re in danger of becoming an honorary member of this board.

I am always respectful on club boards and I seek nothing more than down to earth footy talk when I go to them.

Usually, the response is good most of the time.

I have a soft spot for the Roos. Have an uncle and two cousins who played with them and my entire immediate family follows them. I used to love watching the Krakours and that big red headed o baller you had. Was his name Roberts?

What happened to you then?

P.M. me your families phone numbers so I can berate them.;)

Snake you’re in danger of becoming an honorary member of this board. I have a soft spot for the Roos. Have an uncle and two cousins who played with them and my entire immediate family follows them. I used to love watching the Krakours and that big red headed o baller you had. Was his name Roberts?

The Fridge

I think we have a bigger window than just the next 3 years. Alot of our guns still under 25. I recon we will go close next year and win one in the next 3-5 years.

Would love to win one while Jones is still playing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back