2nds Geelong Cats 2018 VFL Season - Tom Atkins B&F Winner

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh wait, is O'Bree still the VFL coach?

That throws a spanner in the mix for a Premiership.... The list should be good enough now.

We needed to add depth here, wanna take a look @ the last 2 premiers..?

As well as what look like good outside additions, the improved depth will come from having fewer new kids. Over the past couple of years we have had a fairly big number of listed players who were very raw - project types.

GFC likes to ease these types in the game. Often some were rested even if not injured. Added to injuries to a number of senior players the side played quite a few games with far fewer listed players than the opposition fielded. It is a credit to players like Tsitas, Hickey, Reid, Atkins and Edwards that we stayed in some of those games for a long time before dropping off.

This year the 2/3 year kids will be played and expected to improve further. Only the new 2 or 3 to get the
kid gloves.

If a couple of the last year senior players are forced back and the forever injured get out there it promises to be a fun season.

Contacted Ladbrokes today, as I'm so curious about our VFL premiership odds... this is what they said:

"Thank you for contacting ladbrokes.com.au/?a=574141&c=2

Our VFL markets will be available closer to the AFL season kick off.

Please do not hesitate to contact us as required if we can be of any further assistance.

Kind Regards,"

As well as what look like good outside additions, the improved depth will come from having fewer new kids. Over the past couple of years we have had a fairly big number of listed players who were very raw - project types.

GFC likes to ease these types in the game. Often some were rested even if not injured. Added to injuries to a number of senior players the side played quite a few games with far fewer listed players than the opposition fielded. It is a credit to players like Tsitas, Hickey, Reid, Atkins and Edwards that we stayed in some of those games for a long time before dropping off.

This year the 2/3 year kids will be played and expected to improve further. Only the new 2 or 3 to get the
kid gloves.

If a couple of the last year senior players are forced back and the forever injured get out there it promises to be a fun season.
Well said, I was too abrupt and you've nailed it.

Was peeved that I didn't get to see many VFL games last season, compared to the year b4. Hoping we get wider coverage this year.

VFL Team 2018 - Possible Best 22

FB House, Gardner, O'Connor/Capiron
HB Constable/Edwards, Siggins, Thurlow/Zuthrie
C Murdoch/Cunico, GHS/Kiel, Gore/Tsitas
HF Dobson/Henry, Stanley/Buzza, Black/Crameri
FF Gregson/McCarthy, Ratugolea, Miers/Fogarty
RR Abbott, Parsons, Keras

Rookie/Senior Inter: Hayball, Jones, Narkle, Simpson etc.
VFL Inter: Atkins, Blood, Kol,
2017 Falcons: Floyd, Garner, ??

* The interchange are probably our weakest 4 players on our Senior/Rookie list....

Looking pretty strong for VFL grade.

Form slumps might see these players rotate through the VFL: Guthrie, Blicavs, Menzel, Parfitt, etc

VFL Team 2018 - Possible Best 22

FB House, Gardner, O'Connor/Capiron
HB Constable/Edwards, Siggins, Thurlow/Zuthrie
C Murdoch/Cunico, GHS/Kiel, Gore/Tsitas
HF Dobson/Henry, Stanley/Buzza, Black/Crameri
FF Gregson/McCarthy, Ratugolea, Miers/Fogarty
RR Abbott, Parsons, Keras

Rookie/Senior Inter: Hayball, Jones, Narkle, Simpson etc.
VFL Inter: Atkins, Blood, Kol,
2017 Falcons: Floyd, Garner, ??

* The interchange are probably our weakest 4 players on our Senior/Rookie list....

Looking pretty strong for VFL grade.

Form slumps might see these players rotate through the VFL: Guthrie, Blicavs, Menzel, Parfitt, etc
Very interesting. Thanks.

I assume you have removed the best 22 (in your eyes ) from the VFL selections . If so just the fact that you can name 2 players in so many positions is a positive sign. Jones will play all games when fit IMO. High half forward tackling machine. Simpson is an AFL challenger he would go on to a wing IMO. Gore has some catching up to do - on to the bench for him.

Anyway even a small run of injuries will see everyone get their time. They will know they have to put in tho.

Very interesting. Thanks.

I assume you have removed the best 22 (in your eyes ) from the VFL selections . If so just the fact that you can name 2 players in so many positions is a positive sign. Jones will play all games when fit IMO. High half forward tackling machine. Simpson is an AFL challenger he would go on to a wing IMO. Gore has some catching up to do - on to the bench for him.

Anyway even a small run of injuries will see everyone get their time. They will know they have to put in tho.
I thought Simpson showed good signs also, especially his attack on the footy, but he needs to seriously build up to be more competitive at AFL level. I think blokes like Keras, Tsitas, Kiel are ahead of him though for now, until he bulks up that is. Even Gore will perform pretty good at VFL, he wasnt that bad in the SANFL...

Am hoping blokes like Zuthrie and Simpson can put on 5-7kgs this off-season, but they may just have the skinny genetics, hard to say.

Just read the signed names in the Addy article listed above (thanks Rabbi).

If Capiron, C Floyd, Tsitas, Reid, Gow, Dobson and Atkins are on board already - the main ball winning ability and some of the flashy stuff is going around again. Plus the 4 add ins announced weeks ago. interesting - its going to be hard to get a gig from here.

The two newbies are from country Vic too. Good to see.

Bring on 2018 season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just read the signed names in the Addy article listed above (thanks Rabbi).

If Capiron, C Floyd, Tsitas, Reid, Gow, Dobson and Atkins are on board already - the main ball winning ability and some of the flashy stuff is going around again. Plus the 4 add ins announced weeks ago. interesting - its going to be hard to get a gig from here.

The two newbies are from country Vic too. Good to see.

Bring on 2018 season.

DO you ever get to a VFL game CW?

I try to get to all home practice games and fixtures. Was away from Geelong for 35 years and missed going to the footy. When I got back 2 years ago i decided to go to VFL matches as well and have enjoyed every minute. Its relaxed and I can watch carefully without feeling like i want to barrack (unless its Box Hill)! The kids have a ball too.

I don't know much about Domic either but there was some spruiking prior to the draft and he could be a surprise packet -

AFL DRAFT WATCH – AIDEN DOMIC
Aiden Domic has progressed along AFL Victoria’s indigenous player pathway to become one of this year’s leading draft prospects from the GWV Rebels.

The 185cm 18-year-old started on the pathway in the Kickstart program in 2013 and has developed into a hard-running and skilful midfielder who averaged 21 disposals and six marks per game as well as kicking 14 goals in 18 TAC Cup matches in 2017.

An East Point and Mount Clear (both Ballarat FL) product, Domic missed out on selection for Vic Country at the 2017 NAB AFL U18 Championships but used lessons in perseverance learned in the indigenous programs to finish his season in prolific form.

Aiden Domic-A good game for the North Ballarat Rebels wingman. He provided lots of run and carry, as well as setting up play forward. He was massive for Vic Country early and but faded out later in the game. His decision making was average and that’s something I think he needs to work on.

From H-S article - Aiden Domic's running capacity is something that he will be hoping appeals to an AFL club. Domic played 18 games for the Rebels during the 2017 TAC Cup season, where he was predominantly used as a running midfielder. He was named in the team’s best on 12 occasions.

From Knightmare - Impressing with his all-around midfield play, Aidan Domic, 185cm, 81kg used the ball efficiently and was clean at ground level. He contributed 21 disposals, eight contested possessions, seven marks and one goal.

Cats VFL Premiership Odds for 2018 is 21-1 @ TAB. Ladbrokes is 17-1.

I just hit the TAB given those odds.

My only concern is not the list depth or ability, but whether O'Bree is good enough to improve the team.

Don't know much about these signings, maybe some more youngsters...

There could be a diamond in the rough amongst that trio.

There could be a diamond in the rough amongst that trio.
DQvPSgE.gif

This is as good a place as any...

The AFL has stopped the pre-match warmup that was apparently interfering with having VFL curtainraisers. Teams will only have ten minutes pre-bounce instead of being able to come out half an hour before the bounce and then returning to the rooms.

Hopefully we see more curtainraisers now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back