Remove this Banner Ad

WolfgangV

Debutant
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
All Blacks, Darebin Falcons
No thread? Thought I should start one, then.......maybe we'll look back on this match as the turning point to our first real flag (don't count the night flags in the 80s) since '64. :)

Daisy was great (what a shock), racked up the possessions and kicked two snap goals in the first quarter that got us going and in the end probably turned out to be the difference. Paxy again great, Kate Hore really starting to have an impact (needs to improve set shots though), Shelley Scott good value, O'Dea, Mithen, Anna Teague and Lauren Pearce all good. MASSIVE improvement in commitment from last week. Still need to sort out the wastefulness up forward, the game should have been wrapped up long before the end.

Last edited:
No thread? Thought I should start one, then.......maybe we'll look back on this match as the turning point to our first real flag (don't count the night flags in the 80s) since '64. :)

Daisy was great (what a shock), racked up the possessions and kicked two snap goals in the first quarter that got us going and in the end probably turned out to be the difference. Paxy again great, Kate Hore really starting to have an impact (needs to improve set shots though), Shelley Scoot good value, O'Dea, Mithen, Anna Teague and Lauren Pearce all good. MASSIVE improvement in commitment from last week. Still need to sort out the wastefulness up forward, the game should have been wrapped up long before the end.
Apologies Wolf... I’ve been caught up on other things.

Daisy is a gun and not given due credit. Probably because of coming into the competition with a heavyweight reputation. The commentary just manage to ignore half the things she does.

Apologies Wolf... I’ve been caught up on other things.

Daisy is a gun and not given due credit. Probably because of coming into the competition with a heavyweight reputation. The commentary just manage to ignore half the things she does.
Couldn't believe when the final siren went, Kellie Underwood was talking about what a star Frederick-Traub was with 2 goals ... Daisy with 24 and 2 is the AFLW equivalent of 35 and 4. The commentators were barracking hard for Brisbane most of the game tho, so it was on par.

Couldn't believe when the final siren went, Kellie Underwood was talking about what a star Frederick-Traub was with 2 goals ... Daisy with 24 and 2 is the AFLW equivalent of 35 and 4. The commentators were barracking hard for Brisbane most of the game tho, so it was on par.
The commentary of most of these games is terrible, though I do think Montagna has done okay.

I was very glad for the girls to redeem themselves and get a win. I do think Melbourne and WB are the best teams in the competition at the moment, but once again this is unlikely to get us to the GF. I got a strong feeling watching the last few weeks that one of our issues is that we are working on having a system, some set plays etc. essentially contemporary football methods. But we’re still so green (like all AFLW teams) that as soon as we are under pressure - see Freo and C’wood matches - the system falls apart and every individual starts to try and save the game on the spot. This never works for anyone. And it is going to be hard work for Steiner for years to come to build systems that withstand pressure owing to the part-time nature of the league plus the hit every list will continue to suffer each year with too rapid expansion.

The commentary of most of these games is terrible, though I do think Montagna has done okay.

I was very glad for the girls to redeem themselves and get a win. I do think Melbourne and WB are the best teams in the competition at the moment, but once again this is unlikely to get us to the GF. I got a strong feeling watching the last few weeks that one of our issues is that we are working on having a system, some set plays etc. essentially contemporary football methods. But we’re still so green (like all AFLW teams) that as soon as we are under pressure - see Freo and C’wood matches - the system falls apart and every individual starts to try and save the game on the spot. This never works for anyone. And it is going to be hard work for Steiner for years to come to build systems that withstand pressure owing to the part-time nature of the league plus the hit every list will continue to suffer each year with too rapid expansion.

Well said. I get the feeling that they are almost trying to play perfect football - noble intentions, but somewhat misguided. Right from early last season I thought they were looking to play a level of football that if they could achieve would see them light years ahead of the other teams, but at their still developing skill level would be extremely difficult to manage and leave them open to serious exploitation when it faltered.

Last edited:
Eden Zanker, there is a lot to work with there. Watching the replay of the game on Fox, clean pick up of a ground ball in the middle of the ground, hands off, then follows the play looking to shepherd, before getting it back and having a shot from about 35. She will make it hard for Mifsud to get back in the team.

Eden Zanker, there is a lot to work with there. Watching the replay of the game on Fox, clean pick up of a ground ball in the middle of the ground, hands off, then follows the play looking to shepherd, before getting it back and having a shot from about 35. She will make it hard for Mifsud to get back in the team.

I really liked her game. Thought she did some very nice things.

Yeah I said similar things after the first round.

We clearly look the best 'footy side' in the comp. We play the best style and actually have a system that we use. We spot up players and hold possession easily better than the next best side. Unfortunately though, in this league, it doesn't always translate to winning actual games. Even the games we've lost, I think in both of them we managed to keep the opposition scoreless for entire quarters and still lost.

Our two biggest problems are failing to captalise on golden scoring opportunities and getting burned on a turnover. Fix those two things up and we'd pretty much never be beaten.

Too many easy set shots are missed and too many gilt-edged chances are scuffed. Even if we just fixed that up, we'd score too many goals each week for other teams to get close. It seems to me like if you score more than one goal a quarter in AFLW, you pretty much win every week. Like if you kick 6 goals, you're either winning or within a kick of winning 90% of games. If we just worked on set shots alone that'd just about get us there.

It seems to me like if you score more than one goal a quarter in AFLW, you pretty much win every week. Like if you kick 6 goals, you're either winning or within a kick of winning 90% of games. If we just worked on set shots alone that'd just about get us there.
Just to back this up with the cold hard numbers, below is a breakdown of all the scores kicked in every AFLW game so far (except for drawn matches, because they're annoying).

0-19: 1 win, 16 losses
20-29: 6 wins, 18 losses
30-39: 12 wins, 9 losses
40-49: 18 wins, 3 losses
50+: 9 wins, 0 losses

Just to back this up with the cold hard numbers, below is a breakdown of all the scores kicked in every AFLW game so far (except for drawn matches, because they're annoying).

0-19: 1 win, 16 losses
20-29: 6 wins, 18 losses
30-39: 12 wins, 9 losses
40-49: 18 wins, 3 losses
50+: 9 wins, 0 losses
Well there you go. Thanks for that. Good post.

So I was pretty much right. 6-7 goals with a few behinds gets you to 40+, which means you're winning almost 90% of games. Not far off.

When I see Melbourne have 12 inside 50s to 0 in the first quarter of a few games and have 2-5 to nil to show for it, I know it is going to be touch and go. Change that to even 3-4 or 4-3 and it's almost game over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back