Analysis AFC finances - Rich Club, Poor Club?

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
Yep, power and water prices have led to the demise of a number of pubs and other small businesses. It's time we stopped foreign owners ripping off South Australians. Selling or leasing our power and water overseas were masterstrokes. We are governed by lunatics.

We can thank the SANFL President for that

Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just hurry up and buy Nextgen next door to AO. Still run as is but utilise function rooms etc for after games. I assume the function rooms are still there...

As a member of Next Gen, yes there are.

Would concur with this as basically come footy nights the complex is barely used come game time (leave just before). You could pay Next Gen for after match stuff and split the bar. Win-win.

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Canadiens, Maroons.
The club has polled supporters about this before and the fact is that while a small vocal amount talk about wanting a base in the city, the vast majority are not interested. Most people who go to the game leave straight afterwards and go home. Even with an option of somewhere to go, they expressed no interest in doing so. You have to make it profitable throughout the whole year and the cost of staffing, liquor licence et al make it a huge financial drain.

That’s a rather odd view if true as I thought most hospitality business owners Pubs, restaurants etc are in it for profitable reasons. Or is it that it’s not core business?
Wait did someone say competitive computer gaming. That sounds like a winner. :eek:

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I would hazard a guess and say a lot of people don't realize how thin the margins are on a lot of pubs going around.
I expect the profit then might only be realised upon its sale which probably still makes them a good investment, but not so hot if your chasing strong cashflow over capital growths.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don’t know if Manchester United, Golden State Warriors or the Yankees have clubrooms where you’ll find Derek Jeter pulling a few Buds from behind the bar.

When it gets overly busy, I pull a few beers at the Alice Springs Golf Club. I actually enjoy it. Nothing better than serving customers, as long as you don't do it for a living. And can walk away whenever you've had enough.

When it gets overly busy, I pull a few beers at the Alice Springs Golf Club. I actually enjoy it. Nothing better than serving customers, as long as you don't do it for a living. And can walk away whenever you've had enough.
Do you have Responsible Service of Alcohol qualifications?

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
That makes no sense. If you're not making profits, the likelihood of realising profit upon disposal is remote.
You could be making a small profit after all costs but not enough for a yearly windfall.
Real estate will appreciate regardless of this. I’m talking about owning the land and buildings not just running the business.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

I've done the course, but only for an ex-president. I don't think I actually need it as a committee person that's donating my time. I'll have to check the legislation, but I think it only relates to people employed to serve alcohol. I'm not employed.

I've done the course, but only for an ex-president. I don't think I actually need it as a committee person that's donating my time. I'll have to check the legislation, but I think it only relates to people employed to serve alcohol. I'm not employed.
Just didn't want the club getting in trouble, and didn't know if you should keep if shtum. All okay by the sounds though.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
You could be making a small profit after all costs but not enough for a yearly windfall.
Real estate will appreciate regardless of this. I’m talking about owning the land and buildings not just running the business.

Sure, but commercial land values are very much linked to rental income. Which is linked to business profits. There is a stable underlying value of the asset, but there isn't a lot of profit to be made upon disposal if there's not a kick ass lease in place. Otherwise, commercial premises aren't any different to residential in terms of banking coin from acquisition and then disposal.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just didn't want the club getting in trouble, and didn't know if you should keep if shtum. All okay by the sounds though.

I will check when I'm at a PC. It's been mentioned in the past that there's no need for an RSA if you're not actually being paid. But, experience tells me that nearly every person that tells you that something is "law", has never actually read a piece of legislation and would be unlikely to even know what one is.

Apr 1, 2011
Radelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NAFC
It's an opportunity for fan engagement. Albeit an expensive one. We always have a drink or three after night games. As long as they aren't stooges with the pricing, we'd absolutely go back there after every game. I love me a good raffle.

I understand cost wise its prohibitive for the club, but surely there's a way of having a cost effective "home away from home" to go to straight after the game that doesn't sell the farm.
That's what the Magarey Room is. Drinks with other fans post-game, a few player interviews... hell I think they even do raffles sometimes.

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sure, but commercial land values are very much linked to rental income. Which is linked to business profits. There is a stable underlying value of the asset, but there isn't a lot of profit to be made upon disposal if there's not a kick ass lease in place. Otherwise, commercial premises aren't any different to residential in terms of banking coin from acquisition and then disposal.

I guess it’s a bit different in SA than Qld with Pubs and Clubs.
I just see the big Cazalys (Aussie rules) and Brothers leagues club (Rugby league) large entertainment driven facilities which obviously have different licensing, tax and of course pokies, being very popular in Cairns where I live. I think there are plenty of other restaurant options around but the meals are reasonably priced a Schooner (pint in SA) is from $3.80 to $5.00 and you can barely get a seat anywhere in them Friday- Sunday. They still get crowds on Wednesday lunchtime.
I would think with 600,000 supporters a place where supporters can gather, have a reasonably priced meal a cheap beer and watch sports amongst others with similar tastes in afl teams would be patronised pretty well. Look how popular AO has been.
So I think comparing a normal pub with a massive football club facility done correctly really are not operating in the same market.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
I will check when I'm at a PC. It's been mentioned in the past that there's no need for an RSA if you're not actually being paid. But, experience tells me that nearly every person that tells you that something is "law", has never actually read a piece of legislation and would be unlikely to even know what one is.
I think the designated manager would be in trouble if an incident occurred - having someone without an RSA serving the public would leave them liable, but probably not you.

It's maybe not a big risk, depending on the circumstances.

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I think the designated manager would be in trouble if an incident occurred - having someone without an RSA serving the public would leave them liable, but probably not you.

I think half the reason people live in the NT is so they don’t have to worry about petty laws or laws in general.

Tex Danger

Premiership Player
Mar 20, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Maybe we need to do this over the railway yards where the roofed stadium was to be built.

Training facilities, include function venue/bar as well as open space for public use (so more government investment).

Close to AO
Close to hospital (would increase general demand)
More parklands so greenies happy

If only money wasn’t an option!

Attachments

• 9AD5C29C-48ED-4D0F-AF02-92EC228871C8.jpeg
    9AD5C29C-48ED-4D0F-AF02-92EC228871C8.jpeg
    302.3 KB · Views: 6
Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

I think the lack of RSA training would have to have influenced the incident for anyone to be liable for anything.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
The club has polled supporters about this before and the fact is that while a small vocal amount talk about wanting a base in the city, the vast majority are not interested. Most people who go to the game leave straight afterwards and go home. Even with an option of somewhere to go, they expressed no interest in doing so. You have to make it profitable throughout the whole year and the cost of staffing, liquor licence et al make it a huge financial drain.
Did they ask poll the supporters and asked them if they wanted a club?

Kerleys Ghost

Club Legend
May 23, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide

lol, 60 minute online course.

Last time I worked the bar you were only required to have one 'qualified' person on the premises at any given time, but any adult could serve. Might have changed since then.

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals

It's a state/territory issue - each state/territory has it's own RSA laws.

In SA, everyone that serves alcohol has to have a RSA. There's also legislation about Responsible Persons, Management Plans etc. RSA's cost next to nothing though (if you use those 'Groupon' sites, they often appear on there for around $30), and they don't expire.

I'd suspect things in the NT to be more relaxed.

It's a state/territory issue - each state/territory has it's own RSA laws.

In SA, everyone that serves alcohol has to have a RSA. There's also legislation about Responsible Persons, Management Plans etc. RSA's cost next to nothing though (if you use those 'Groupon' sites, they often appear on there for around $30), and they don't expire.

I'd suspect things in the NT to be more relaxed.
You just suspect... ;)

PS. Excluding ATSI lands where there are tight restrictions.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
I think the lack of RSA training would have to have influenced the incident for anyone to be liable for anything.
You'd need to somehow be involved - just working when it happens wouldn't be enough.

Back