MFC Fans Only Non-Dees AFL thread: 2018 Edition: Weighed in the balance, who will be found wanting?

Remove this Banner Ad

Its a fair point, but look at their 22.

B: Howe Dunn Goldsack
HB: Crisp Moore Scharenberg
C: Wells Pendlebury Varcoe
HF: Elliott Reid Fasolo
F: Daicos? Cox WHE
R: Grundy Treloar Sidebottom
Int: Blair Maynard Adams Greenwood

Yes, the inside brigade rocks. But those KPP stocks are average, and there's nothing behind them.
I think you have to have De Goey in there, for now anyway.

Fitzy was so much better than Cox. Had decent pace for a big lump of a lad
Can't agree, think Cox has the potential to get on top of a defender which Fitzy never did. Still pretty s**t otherwise though.

True but probably not til Rd5. Replaces Maynard.
They love Maynard at Collingwood, would think that Scharenberg would make way. Roos made me laugh yesterday though, talking about his laser kicking off HB. Never seen a player more prone to a shank, reminds me of Melksham when we played him there. Tough but pretty useless by foot.

Can't agree, think Cox has the potential to get on top of a defender which Fitzy never did. Still pretty s**t otherwise though.

If you mean on top in the literal sense then yeah. Fitzy did bag 4 against some at some stage. Not exactly gold standard either though. Shows the terrible standards of the recruiting of forwards that Cox still gets a game.

They love Maynard at Collingwood, would think that Scharenberg would make way. Roos made me laugh yesterday though, talking about his laser kicking off HB. Never seen a player more prone to a shank, reminds me of Melksham when we played him there. Tough but pretty useless by foot.
Well ostensibly he would replace Blair but Blair could be caught committing murder and still play on Saturday. Unfathomable how he continues to get a game.

Well ostensibly he would replace Blair but Blair could be caught committing murder and still play on Saturday. Unfathomable how he continues to get a game.

I played country footy with Blairy, he was on another level to everyone but it shows how much physical attributes are needed at AFL level.

Confident if Cox was not an American import, he would have been long ago ejected from an AFL list, that's if he even made one in the first place. That experiment has gone beyond silly. It's like having the unco spare ruck as your full forward. Sure he might snag a couple of marks, but if the ball hits the ground he becomes a total liability.

Now watch him kick 40 goals this year.

Collingwood are so bland now it's incredible to think how far they've fallen under bucks. Under Mick they had players you could really love to hate like dids, swan, daisy and heater. Massive flogs the lot of them but at least they were interesting and brought a bit of colour to the game.

Now what do they have? Who are they? What do they stand for? As damming as their fall down the ladder is their drop in relevance. And nothings going to change while bucks and more importantly ed has his hands on the controls

Confident if Cox was not an American import, he would have been long ago ejected from an AFL list, that's if he even made one in the first place. That experiment has gone beyond silly. It's like having the unco spare ruck as your full forward. Sure he might snag a couple of marks, but if the ball hits the ground he becomes a total liability.

Now watch him kick 40 goals this year.
He would still be on a list, but only because he’s 211cm, some coach (from basketball I think) had a saying, if you’re over 200cm, you’ve got 5 years to show you aren’t up to it, when you’re under 180 you’ve got 5 mins to show you are.

He’s a target down forward because he’s so tall, and he will continue to get opportunities, if not from taking the mark himself, then from the undersized defender panicking and giving away a free kick. But as you say, as soon as the ball hits the deck, he’s a liability. If he was my main target down there I’d be very worried

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He would still be on a list, but only because he’s 211cm, some coach (from basketball I think) had a saying, if you’re over 200cm, you’ve got 5 years to show you aren’t up to it, when you’re under 180 you’ve got 5 mins to show you are.

He’s a target down forward because he’s so tall, and he will continue to get opportunities, if not from taking the mark himself, then from the undersized defender panicking and giving away a free kick. But as you say, as soon as the ball hits the deck, he’s a liability. If he was my main target down there I’d be very worried

And if you're 230 cm tall, you can have a lengthy NBA career as a moving hat-rack.

Yeh the tall guys can take a lot longer, but feels like he'd need to have shown more by now. I could understand if he was playing reserves mostly, but he is learning in the seniors, it's just a bit hopeful for mine.

I played country footy with Blairy, he was on another level to everyone but it shows how much physical attributes are needed at AFL level.
He’s done an amazing job to play league footy given how short he is. He must have been phenomenal as a kid.

He’s done an amazing job to play league footy given how short he is. He must have been phenomenal as a kid.

Like a young Shane Crawford. Clean hands run all day between the 50s. Brilliant agility etc. Dominant midfielder in the south gippy league back in the day which for anyone who's seen Gippsland footy is a bloody good standard.
Few boys came from that area. Mitch Golby, Roughy, Heppell, Trent West, Docherty, Brent Mcaffer etc. Played against a few of them. In underage footy he was as good as Heppell and Rough.

Won the larke(?) Medal for the best player at the national carnival.

Like a young Shane Crawford. Clean hands run all day between the 50s. Brilliant agility etc. Dominant midfielder in the south gippy league back in the day which for anyone who's seen Gippsland footy is a bloody good standard.
Few boys came from that area. Mitch Golby, Roughy, Heppell, Trent West, Docherty, Brent Mcaffer etc. Played against a few of them. In underage footy he was as good as Heppell and Rough.

Won the larke(?) Medal for the best player at the national carnival.
Yeah I lived down at Tidal River for just under two years and saw some South Gippy League games. I was very surprised at how good the standard was. I think the league is close to ****ed now though. No numbers.

Yeah I lived down at Tidal River for just under two years and saw some South Gippy League games. I was very surprised at how good the standard was. I think the league is close to ****** now though. No numbers.

It all merged into the Alberton league and Wonny joined the one tralagon Maffra Moe etc.

Geelong's depth on display right now. Missing Danger, Ablett, Selwoodx2 and Taylor, but still with plenty of players who will be filling their 22 come Round 1, and they're being absolutely canned by Gold Coast. With a minute before 3qrt time, the margin is 54 points, they've managed 2 goals for the game, and as far as I can tell, their forward line is pretty close to full strength ... and it serves them right for that sleeved monstrosity of a jumper.

Geelong's depth on display right now. Missing Danger, Ablett, Selwoodx2 and Taylor, but still with plenty of players who will be filling their 22 come Round 1, and they're being absolutely canned by Gold Coast. With a minute before 3qrt time, the margin is 54 points, they've managed 2 goals for the game, and as far as I can tell, their forward line is pretty close to full strength ... and it serves them right for that sleeved monstrosity of a jumper.

Don't underestimate them; I think Gold Coast will surprise a lot of NEAFL teams this year.

Yeah I think it was pretty obvious they didn't really care about today's game, but at the same time I'm not sure they're good enough to just nonchalantly lose to GC by 9 goals a few weeks before the season starts with the expectation that they'll switch it on when the real stuff comes. Sydney circa 2006 could get away with that, but Geelong are not Sydney circa 2006. Their top 1-6 players are among the best in the league, but we saw today that their players ranked 22-28 are just flaming hot garbage. Very shallow list.

Now watch us get pumped by 80 points in round 1. :$

Remove this Banner Ad

Back