Players that were pumped up but didn't deliver?

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Matthew Capuano springs to mind and Brett Chalmers for the Adelaide Crows/Power These guys were pumped up by the media as the next big things but didn't deliver.

Who were touted as good things by the media/clubs/fans but failed to deliver the goods?

Apr 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hamish Hartlett.

He still has time, but he will turn 28 this year and has been nothing but a tease his whole career. He was taken at Pick #4 in the 2008 draft so that came with some expectation. The gap between his best and worst is very significant, and he has one great game then disappears for what feels like an eternity.

He had a lot of injuries early in his career and we all thought he would come good once he got fit and stayed on the park for longer., but he's been relatively fit and has played most games since 2012-13ish and still isn't delivering.

It'd be a great shame if someone of his talent never fulfils their potential, but I cross my fingers that he can now have a big few years for Port.

Brennan Huff

Debutant
Mar 1, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
There's too many to mention, really. Half of Melbourne's list over the last decade could be included for example.
Name a few players on the list that were pumped up and how so. We’ve certainly had a lot of spuds over the last decade but I don’t know many who were pumped up.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Hamish Hartlett.

He still has time, but he will turn 28 this year and has been nothing but a tease his whole career. He was taken at Pick #4 in the 2008 draft so that came with some expectation. The gap between his best and worst is very significant, and he has one great game then disappears for what feels like an eternity.

He had a lot of injuries early in his career and we all thought he would come good once he got fit and stayed on the park for longer., but he's been relatively fit and has played most games since 2012-13ish and still isn't delivering.

It'd be a great shame if someone of his talent never fulfils their potential, but I cross my fingers that he can now have a big few years for Port.
x 2.

Good post.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Luke Vogels for Sydney. A few campaigners wanked off to this campaigner from the bush saying how good he was. Everyone jumped on board. Didn't do a *en thing.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Name a few players on the list that were pumped up and how so. We’ve certainly had a lot of spuds over the last decade but I don’t know many who were pumped up.

Seriously mate?

Sylvia Toumpas Gysberts Morton Trengove Scully Watts Jurrah Grimes Clark .. could go on for years.

Brennan Huff

Debutant
Mar 1, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Seriously mate?

Sylvia Toumpas Gysberts Morton Trengove Scully Watts Jurrah Grimes Clark .. could go on for years.
Yeh they were all pumped up. Most wouldn’t have even heard of Gysberts. I don’t recall Grimes and Morton being pumped up and Jurrah is a completely different story.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
James Aish and I got a bad feeling about Hugh McCluggage

How come about McCluggage?

Definitely Jack Martin. I believe it was Gary Ablett or Guy McKenna who said he could be the best and most gifted footballer they've ever seen when he first came to the club. Been 4 years now and dude still looks like he hasn't lifted a dumbbell in his life. Output has been very ordinary too.

Yeh they were all pumped up. Most wouldn’t have even heard of Gysberts. I don’t recall Grimes and Morton being pumped up and Jurrah is a completely different story.

Jack Grimes was a captain and Jurrah had a book written about him and featured in many highlight reels.

Obviously Melbourne are in a hell of a better place now but not so long ago it was littered with duds that promised much but delivered little.

Back