Toast Esava

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
did not get a lot of it, but he looked very promising!!!!

Moves extremely well, is quick, built big and athletic, amazing ground level work and clean hands.

Very good lead and mark player as well, that lead mark and 60m goal was exactly what you want to see from a young second year key forward.

I love the look of this boy and wouldn’t mind seeing him get a few games this season.

Very impressive big sav

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
did not get a lot of it, but he looked very promising!!!!

Moves extremely well, is quick, built big and athletic, amazing ground level work and clean hands.

Very good lead and mark player as well, that lead mark and 60m goal was exactly what you want to see from a young second year key forward.

I love the look of this boy and wouldn’t mind seeing him get a few games this season.

Very impressive big sav

all of that but he also showed a very hit and miss kicking action that has not changed too much. He looked far more dynamic and dangerous than Buzza ... and if he can take a couple of bigshowtime marks maybe the kicking will just be tolerated... yet another roll of the dice that looks promising , perhaps a good value pick.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
all of that but he also showed a very hit and miss kicking action that has not changed too much. He looked far more dynamic and dangerous than Buzza ... and if he can take a couple of bigshowtime marks maybe the kicking will just be tolerated... yet another roll of the dice that looks promising , perhaps a good value pick.

Can’t recall all his kicks but recall the two set shots for goal, one of them shifted far right across, the other was a very good long range goal from 60m out that showed he has a penetrating long leg on him.

I think he is still raw and only second year key forward, but showed a lot of talent and potential to show patience and give a few senior opportunities too.

Do you rate him as a kid or are you a bit on the fence?

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Did almost everything well, kicked 2 goals (don't care if it was touched) and took some good grabs, has a bit of touch and nouce when the ball hits the ground too. Something to work with for sure.

Not fussed about the overall stats and output, more interested in what potential and skills he showed out there. The kid has a lot to work with.

Can see why wells picked him up with our second round draft pick.

I am quite impressed with the way he goes about things, not sure if I am in a minority or majority with this opinion, but I am a big fan.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Looks a good type. I'd def give him more time to develop and build his fitness base. I like what I saw. He has more upside potential than Buzza IMO.

Wouldn’t play buzza ahead of esava. Think esava has a lot more talent and ability to work with.

Loved the look of the kid and what he can offer and develop into with games and work put into him.

Ratcat

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Wouldn’t play buzza ahead of esava. Think esava has a lot more talent and ability to work with.

Loved the look of the kid and what he can offer and develop into with games and work put into him.

Hope they're working on his second effort aerobic recovery, so special to have that ability when you're a big guy.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Can’t recall all his kicks but recall the two set shots for goal, one of them shifted far right across, the other was a very good long range goal from 60m out that showed he has a penetrating long leg on him.

I think he is still raw and only second year key forward, but showed a lot of talent and potential to show patience and give a few senior opportunities too.

Do you rate him as a kid or are you a bit on the fence?

Good potential , high athleticism but the game is built around moments. 100 minutes of game time and he may have it his hands seconds each game..so if he can learn to make the most of those moments then who knows. I have rated some guys that have done zero and other have become champs ...its nothing more than hint of what he may be at this stage....

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Good potential , high athleticism but the game is built around moments. 100 minutes of game time and he may have it his hands seconds each game..so if he can learn to make the most of those moments then who knows. I have rated some guys that have done zero and other have become champs ...its nothing more than hint of what he may be at this stage....

Agree with what you say.

Have you watched him at VFL??

First real glimpse I had of him today, and I am a very big fan.

His ability to provide high quality leads will be difficult for key defenders to go toe to toe with, he is quicker than I thought.

Got a good penetrating leg, fantastic work at ground level and second third efforts to fight in the contest.

Didn’t have a lot of chances today at it but others say he has a big leap and can clunk a mark overhead.

If he puts in a good game against Essendon; can see him being in the frame for a round 1 birth instead of buzza.

I’m not a fan of buzza, but I am already a big wrap for this kid. Very raw, has a lot of upside and development to work with.

I knew when he lined up for that long set shot he'd kick it as it required him to kick the s**t out of the ball, I reckon his action will cause more grief with closer shots.

His attack on the ball was first rate though.
Good of Tommy to look to get him the ball early as well (he had plucked a good mark mind you when Hawk ended up with the free)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
I knew when he lined up for that long set shot he'd kick it as it required him to kick the s**t out of the ball, I reckon his action will cause more grief with closer shots.

His attack on the ball was first rate though.
Good of Tommy to look to get him the ball early as well (he had plucked a good mark mind you when Hawk ended up with the free)

Did you see the ball drop ? .. I agree I didn't rule him out of kicking it ..but he really may deliver some head shakes and peter Johnston type moments. Id hate to see someone get to that where its ... scream of delight when the mark is taken and then a loud expulsion of air as the crowd thinks on a setshot that could go anywhere.

Yes TH definitely looked for him...

Did you see the ball drop ? .. I agree I didn't rule him out of kicking it ..but he really may deliver some head shakes and peter Johnston type moments. Id hate to see someone get to that where its ... scream of delight when the mark is taken and then a loud expulsion of air as the crowd thinks on a setshot that could go anywhere.

Yes TH definitely looked for him...
Yeah he still drops it from his chin

TheCattery2007

Team Captain
Nov 21, 2007
USA
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Washington Redskins & Caps
I read that he had come to pre season even fitter than the club was expecting and lost a heap of weight. That shows attitude and intent.

It appears he has more talent than Buzza based purely on draft selection and what I saw today. (A rough guide I know..)

Definitely worth persevering with him. He leads straight to the ball carrier and demands it.

Imagine with Ablett, Selwood, Danger and Duncan feeding him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
IF he can tighten up his kicking

Its a big if, and far from guaranteed.

But if he can polish that rough edge out then there'll practically be no limit to what he can become. Such an exciting prospect and I'm so happy my weird suspicions about him playing today were borne out by reality.

Warhorse

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Still miles away and this thread is extreme premature ejaculation.

Buzza was a hell of a lot better last year in the vfl than Esava. Esava will have to improve dramatically from last year as he was so far off the pace.

He could barely run out a quarter today which is a major concern.

Personally, I think Buzza and Esava are both long shots to be anything more than a servicable key position forward. Which is what is expected from low draft picks spent on key position players.

I look for young players to have good hands. His pick up and handball to Menzel ( who missed) in the last quarter was as clean as any on the day.

We'll be seeing him around the club for a while I think....no limits or expectations should be applied just yet.

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong

Buzza was a hell of a lot better last year in the vfl than Esava. Esava will have to improve dramatically from last year as he was so far off the pace.

Personally, I think Buzza and Esava are both long shots to be anything more than a servicable key position forward. Which is what is expected from low draft picks spent on key position players.
I was wondering when you would show up and as usual you pick the weak targets to attack

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I look for young players to have good hands. His pick up and handball to Menzel ( who missed) in the last quarter was as clean as any on the day.

We'll be seeing him around the club for a while I think.... no limits or expectations should be applied just yet .
Don’t think too many have made any expectations as of yet, I believe many are just stating he showed some good glismpse today in terms of his talents but still need to work on a few things.

For key forwards it takes years before we see anything consistent if ever.

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
What part of my post do you disagree with?

Yeah ok

It seems you’re the only one with high expectations from a 2nd year player hat hasn’t even played a senior game yet. You are just not worth engaging with in all honesty...dead serious

Remove this Banner Ad

Back