SA v Aus - First Test wash up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hold my hands up and say I didn't expect this and I'm trying to work out whether we're starting to put together a really good team or South Africa were poor. Our bowling attack was superb once again and it was only Ussie and Bancroft in the first innings that were found wanting. So changes, yah or nah?

Bad Horse

Petfood
Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019 Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Steph Chiocci 2017
Mar 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Changes nah for now.

Also surprised. Our bowling attack was just more threatening than theirs. Both our batting lineups look vulnerable.

Will be intriguing to see what pitch is served up next. Anyone for Kermit the frog?

archibald

Club Legend
Dec 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
Pretty over Usman. For someone with his experience he seems rather rigid in his batting approach.

When he was first dropped they asked for him to improve his ability to rotate the strike and I've never really seen a change in that regard. Now he's either led footed or prancing every ball to the spinners, just not intelligent batting. That reverse sweep was also putrid

Big positive was M Marsh. Great innings and has immensely improved and proven me and many others wrong. Hope it can continue

Woody15

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
I dont see any changes for the 2nd test.

Itll be interesting to see what type of pitch is dished up though.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Hold my hands up and say I didn't expect this and I'm trying to work out whether we're starting to put together a really good team or South Africa were poor. Our bowling attack was superb once again and it was only Ussie and Bancroft in the first innings that were found wanting. So changes, yah or nah?

We’ve got one of the best bowling attacks we’ve ever had, simple.

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Why is it we seem to play better over there than we do when they come here? (and vice versa).

Or is that not the case?

I think it’s been a bit coincidental recently. It’s basically 50-50 whether it’s home or away as the conditions are so similar. Last time our side was all over the shop, and this time we have a more settled team and they have a few guys getting towards the end.

In 2009 and 2014 we had peak Johnson

Apr 1, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Concerned that a few of Lyon's old demons resurfaced in that last innings. Has often struggled in that situation when as a spinner he feels the pressure to bowl the side to victory, and gets himself into a frantic zone where he loses control of his plans. South Africans played him well and he bowled a few good spells, but we can't afford him tensing up in the clinch moments and reverting to darts.

Maharaj definitely outbowled him, hopefully Lyon can respond in the 2nd test on a deck that is supposed to offer a bit to spinners as well.

Mar 18, 2012
Vic
AFL Club
Fremantle
Why is it we seem to play better over there than we do when they come here? (and vice versa).

Or is that not the case?

Yes it's been the case for the last 4 or 5 series I think, where the away team has won. Bit bizzare, even despite the similar conditions between SA and Aus, considering how bad most sides are away from home

Woody15

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don't see any batting changes for the series not when the only backup is handscomb.
Hopefully Bancroft can build on his 50 in the second innings.

Its important he makes some runs to avoid a complete restructure of the batting order considering Handscomb is the backup.

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
No need for Australia to contemplate changes at this point. Might change depending on the result in P.E. Bancroft's 50 in the 2nd dig has alleviated some of the pressure on him heading into Friday's 2nd test.

I don't think SA should panic. They lost this test after they bowled out so cheaply on day 2. They did well to ensure they weren't chasing 450+.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
No need for Australia to contemplate changes at this point. Might change depending on the result in P.E. Bancroft's 50 in the 2nd dig has alleviated some of the pressure on him heading into Friday's 2nd test.

I don't think SA should panic. They lost this test after they bowled out so cheaply on day 2. They did well to ensure they weren't chasing 450+.

TBF Australia batted dumb and the first 3 wickets were thrown away and then some nerves set in and it got worse from there. I wouldn't take too much from the second inning tbh.

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think we need more than one good partnership for the whole test to think we are good.

In saying that it's worth noting the pair of disciplined, gritty sort of knocks that Smith and S.Marsh played in each innings that negate the potential of the innings terminally collapsing.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/22634853/australia-break-cycle-collapses

Was a test of two halves, Australia were pretty dominant for the first but then I would certainly have given South Africa the points for the second. I don't think either side needs to change any personnel, should be a great series.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back