Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Need some help with dumbbell chest press.

I can get the 22kg dumbbells up by myself for 10 reps (flat bench) so naturally I feel I should be able to move up to the 24kg dumbbells but I can't get them up at all.

If I have a spotter I can get them up and then I'm fine without a spotter there (hope that makes sense).

It's really frustrating because I know I can lift the weight but the initial laying back on the bench and pressing them up I can't do :(

Any tips?

What technique do you use to get them up?

What technique do you use to get them up?

Sit the dumbbells on my thighs and when I lean back I nudge them straight up, if that makes sense haha.

So basically I'll be like this (then obviously change the position of the dumbbells to press):

dumbbells.PNG

Like this?

Nope, I bring my arms straight up, probably an odd technique if I think about it but I've always done it that way.

The way Ronnie does it in the video is the most efficient

Ok sounds like I might need to change my technique, do you recommend dropping the weights back down till I get the hang of it or should I just be able to switch over?

Ok sounds like I might need to change my technique, do you recommend dropping the weights back down till I get the hang of it or should I just be able to switch over?

Do it for your warm up sets and see how you go.
In theory you should be able to switch straight over and be fine.

Need some help with dumbbell chest press.

I can get the 22kg dumbbells up by myself for 10 reps (flat bench) so naturally I feel I should be able to move up to the 24kg dumbbells but I can't get them up at all.

If I have a spotter I can get them up and then I'm fine without a spotter there (hope that makes sense).

It's really frustrating because I know I can lift the weight but the initial laying back on the bench and pressing them up I can't do :(

Any tips?
Funny one that, my mate had that and he couldn't manage the 17s I don't think when he could easily lift it.

Its probably technique, but it could be a slight weakness in the forearms/grip strength if you can get the 22s up. Could try farmers carry for that.

Funny one that, my mate had that and he couldn't manage the 17s I don't think when he could easily lift it.

Its probably technique, but it could be a slight weakness in the forearms/grip strength if you can get the 22s up. Could try farmers carry for that.

Yeah my grip strength isn't the best I will admit, good to know and I'll incorporate farmers carry into my routine :)

Thanks guys! It would be much easier if I had a gym partner haha :p

In the expo area at the US Arnold Steph Cohen just deadlifted 248kg . . . She weighs 56 kiloS
That is absolutely insane

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wait, really? I always got told when you talk numbers you just talk weight added to the bar.

Gets murky when you have bars that weigh different amounts
Eg I have an 8kg weightlifting training bar, a 16kg MacDonald bar, an 18kg fat bar, regular 20kg bars, a 22kg bow bar, 28kg football bar and a 30kg squat bar.
If I was to base everything off just weight on the bar it would skew my percentages too much (granted I round everything to the nearest 5kg for simplicity)

Gets murky when you have bars that weigh different amounts
Eg I have an 8kg weightlifting training bar, a 16kg MacDonald bar, an 18kg fat bar, regular 20kg bars, a 22kg bow bar, 28kg football bar and a 30kg squat bar.
If I was to base everything off just weight on the bar it would skew my percentages too much (granted I round everything to the nearest 5kg for simplicity)

Now I'm confused, I seriously always thought for bench its whatever plates you have on there, bar was always 20 but you didn't count it toward the total.

Feels like we should have a poll... I'm wanting this to get up, ive just put 20kgs on my best and current bench.

It certainly makes me feel stronger haha.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back