General MFC Discussion 2.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw Jesse Hogan at a grocery store in Richmond yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
Did you just make that up or is it from a movie? Because that was ******* hilarious

Hogan is a very shy dude. Clearly taking the piss.
I talked to him at the BBQ after the family day. He’s quite jittery - nervous habits from shyness I think. But he was otherwise pretty normal - I liked him.

I’m trying to remember what he said. He was talking a bit about the preseason training being well organised into blocks of training, which helps with staying engaged even when you’re not playing matches - and the footy club environment being so enclosed that you end up knowing everything about everyone else, so he’s lucky he is good mates with the other guys because they share so much. He said Petracca is the crazy guy of the club but everyone loves him. I offered to get him a beer and he rolled his eyes and said he wished he could (preseason plus being surrounded by club officials presumably prevented him).

Okay not earth-shattering as conversations go, but he looks you in the eye when speaking and, other than his wiggly legs, was more comfortable making small talk then I expected. He even smiled a few times, so I had to go sit down after that because I went all wobbly.

I talked to him at the BBQ after the family day. He’s quite jittery - nervous habits from shyness I think. But he was otherwise pretty normal - I liked him.

I’m trying to remember what he said. He was talking a bit about the preseason training being well organised into blocks of training, which helps with staying engaged even when you’re not playing matches - and the footy club environment being so enclosed that you end up knowing everything about everyone else, so he’s lucky he is good mates with the other guys because they share so much. He said Petracca is the crazy guy of the club but everyone loves him. I offered to get him a beer and he rolled his eyes and said he wished he could (preseason plus being surrounded by club officials presumably prevented him).

Okay not earth-shattering as conversations go, but he looks you in the eye when speaking and, other than his wiggly legs, was more comfortable making small talk then I expected. He even smiled a few times, so I had to go sit down after that because I went all wobbly.

Any other player interactions?

Question: why did we give Charlie spargo number 9. Seems very premature. Should have bumped OMAC up the pecking order.
I don't think the club has the view that jumper numbers have weight anymore

Question: why did we give Charlie spargo number 9. Seems very premature. Should have bumped OMAC up the pecking order.

I'm guessing after Grimes/Trenners/Scully undermining of the famous numbers we have given that a rest.

Any other player interactions?
Sorry schmuttt - I've been getting around to responding to this.

SH pretty much spoke to every player there and collected autographs. He's posted a summary on the Jake Lever sponsor thread.

The guys I met in particular other than Hogan were:

Jake Lever - obviously we hooked up with him what with being his sponsor. I agree with SH, he is very mature and collected for a guy that young (just as well since he is planning on being married in October). Definitely a smoooooooth operator, and I can see how he managed the pressure last year around speculation about his contract. I think he has natural ability in fielding questions and will probably be an asset for publicity and promotion. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the club get him to do some impromptu pressers as they do.

He's a huge unit up close, even knowing he was a tall guy didn't stop me being surprised in person and getting a crick in my neck. He said he hasn't felt at all that it has been difficult slotting into a new backline during preseason, but real games will show how much their practice can stand up under pressure. He likes playing with an attacking defensive structure, which he said is an asset they work on a lot.

Random facts that came out, I'm not certain how: he currently lives with ANB and he has installed an excellent coffee maker. He also likes the coffee at My Other Brother in Camberwell, and Rustica on Swan Street. I asked him what made him pick Melbourne - I meant the team, not the city but he misunderstood (possibly deliberately - I think he is careful what he says) and gave a pretty standard answer about family, friends - loves the city etc.

He and everyone are literally hanging out for the season to start, he said it had been a great preseason (though he is hardly likely to say otherwise to some random) but they are all just waiting to test where they really are in competition. Literally every person I spoke to said the same, so I think that bit is real.

ANB - other than form comments like preseason going great, looking forward to the season, he was literally bewildered that people (well us) know he is called nibbler or nib because he didn't think that was out there in the media. I explained that the group that hang about watching training would have picked that up long ago and circulated it, and there is nothing weird about finding out everything about AFL players and going to their home address after dark and rummaging around his recycling bins for information. He laughed at that - seems a very relaxed, friendly person.

Gawn - I stalked him specifically to get a photo with me and him because I was wearing a Max Gawn t-shirt. Other than the photo arrangements, we mostly talked about how tall he is. He reckons on balance the positives outweigh the negatives - positives being getting a good view, negatives being special clothes etc. He liked my taste in t-shirts and SH had to back a fair way away to get two people of vastly different heights into the same picture.

Buggy was a classic. I stayed talking to him for a bit because he was being hounded by some older member (and idiot) who was literally berating the team for effort and getting stuck into Hogan in particular - droning on and on about how he thinks he's lazy and won't put in the effort and will leave etc. He's welcome to his opinion and everything, but I have no idea what anyone expects to achieve doing this crap. What the hell was Bugg supposed to say? I was already saying hi to Thomas Bugg when this guy sort of appeared, and Buggy gave me one of those looks to say "please don't leave me alone with this guy" so I hung on. He handled it very well - said of course supporters all have different opinions, but for his part he said that Hogan was one of the best players he had played against or alongside and that his workrate and mobility are excellent and that he is one of the most committed in terms of training and development. I took on a minor wingman role and tried to divert the train with "you must all be looking forward to the season" type rubbish, so we eventually neutralised the older party who wandered off with his Carlton Draught (probably to bail up Hogan in person).

Buggy also liked my T-shirt. I asked him when there was going to be a Bugg t-shirt released - Jordan Lewis wandering past said there was but they sold out immediately. Lol.

I've been wittering on for ages. I will return later with impressions of OMac / Frosty etc.

The fact that some member went to one of these days to have a crack at players makes me irrationally angry.
It really annoyed my partner when I told him about it. It just puts them in a ridiculous position of having to be polite to some unknown, and its incredibly embarrassing to have to stand there and cop it while someone has a go at your colleagues/mates. I also swear that this bloke sat behind me in a 2016 match against St Kilda (or someone very like him anyway) and that guy embarrassed even his own family on that day.

The fact that some member went to one of these days to have a crack at players makes me irrationally angry.
There's flogs out there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Hogan leaves I am now going to blame this guy. All of my hate and rage will be directed at him for chasing Hogan away by being a massive knob.
Needs to be sent to Canada

It really annoyed my partner when I told him about it. It just puts them in a ridiculous position of having to be polite to some unknown, and its incredibly embarrassing to have to stand there and cop it while someone has a go at your colleagues/mates. I also swear that this bloke sat behind me in a 2016 match against St Kilda (or someone very like him anyway) and that guy embarrassed even his own family on that day.
Sounds like the kind of bloke to ring talk back and start with "I've been a member for x years..."

I swear to god Weideman better turn out to be a gun bc Charlie Curnow was such a ******* obvious pick. Like I can accept any of our draft blunders inc Toumpas over Wines and Tyson/Salem over Kelly but Cook over Darling and Weideman over Curnow make me cringe.

Sounds rational to me

Oi it’s a nice place

Also wtf wrt lever getting married this year. Dude is younger than me
I forgot. I was going to say this bit...

He is ******* young. The reason Lever was talking about his wedding was that I introduced the topic by saying congratulations, I heard you were engaged etc... and in that spirit eventually in the chit chat I asked whether there was a specific day planned which turned out to be some week in October. I fielded some randomised bullshit about hoping that they don’t let the pressure of organising the occasion get to them because it’s your day and you should enjoy it ... or something. Anyway, he even commented about how some people think he’s pretty young etc.

This is where some alien started speaking on my behalf doing some kind of pseudo self help bullshit and I actually came out with “it’s not about the when, it’s getting the who right...” (deep)

He liked the sound of that and said “thanks - you’re right”.

I had absolutely no idea what I was talking about at all or what made me come out with that. I even wondered on the spot why I was appointing myself as a mystical relationship expert for Demons I had never met before.

I went off at that point and had a soothing chat with OMac.

OMac does not strike me as one you have a “soothing conversation” with. Not sure why, I don’t know the bloke
I thought he was a hoot. He surprised me in this. Gotta go stir hot plate stuff now but I’ll return and tell you about Oscar shortly.

He also likes the coffee at My Other Brother in Camberwell
Awesome to know- that's where I take my laptop when I get tired of working in an office or in a bathrobe. Will have to hang out there permanently now.

(FYI the coffee is much better at PUNTO though, and the people that hang out at MOB are a absolute w***ers).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back