Women's Footy AFLW and MFC Women's General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Bombshell news!

A couple of days ago I contacted the AFL expressing my displeasure with their points ranking/forced surrendering of players plan to help the 2019 expansion clubs. Well, I just got a reply informing me the plan has been dismissed! From what was said I get the feeling the AFLPA might have stepped in and put their foot down saying this is not going to happen.

In my diatribe against the plan I suggested priority draft picks would be a better way to go - it was the method used to try to speed up the competitiveness for Gold Coast and GWS, after all. With most of the VFLW teams now associated with AFL clubs the standard of coaching, facilities, etc. will improve, so the quality of player coming through should improve. This year we've already had Huntington, Conti and Molloy - not too bad. And of course Geelong and North could, if they wished, trade their priority picks for established players at the other Vic clubs.

I know that at the Dees Geelong are apparently eyeing off our players that are Geelong VFLW listed, and as much as I'd hate to lose them if any of them wish to play for their local club at AFLW level then getting a priority draft pick in exchange lessens the pain.

I guess we'll see what transpires over the next couple of months.

Bombshell news!

A couple of days ago I contacted the AFL expressing my displeasure with their points ranking/forced surrendering of players plan to help the 2019 expansion clubs. Well, I just got a reply informing me the plan has been dismissed! From what was said I get the feeling the AFLPA might have stepped in and put their foot down saying this is not going to happen.

In my diatribe against the plan I suggested priority draft picks would be a better way to go - it was the method used to try to speed up the competitiveness for Gold Coast and GWS, after all. With most of the VFLW teams now associated with AFL clubs the standard of coaching, facilities, etc. will improve, so the quality of player coming through should improve. This year we've already had Huntington, Conti and Molloy - not too bad. And of course Geelong and North could, if they wished, trade their priority picks for established players at the other Vic clubs.

I know that at the Dees Geelong are apparently eyeing off our players that are Geelong VFLW listed, and as much as I'd hate to lose them if any of them wish to play for their local club at AFLW level then getting a priority draft pick in exchange lessens the pain.

I guess we'll see what transpires over the next couple of months.

Posted to twitter 15 minutes ago.

Posted to twitter 15 minutes ago.

Ok, that sounds not so bad. But a bit vague - "..can target up to four players.....". Does that mean they nominate four they wish to target at a particular club and then do their best to recruit them? If they fail to get any of those, that's it, they can't then try for someone else? Or can they try a couple, then a few more, until such a point as they succeed in recruiting four from a club and then that's it, even if more want to make the move? And will the clubs who lose players be compensated in any way?

But of course this plan may still not go ahead. "The current plan, which is yet to be signed off by the league and clubs....". :) Prefer it to the previous idea, though.

Ok, that sounds not so bad. But a bit vague - "..can target up to four players.....". Does that mean they nominate four they wish to target at a particular club and then do their best to recruit them? If they fail to get any of those, that's it, they can't then try for someone else? Or can they try a couple, then a few more, until such a point as they succeed in recruiting four from a club and then that's it, even if more want to make the move? And will the clubs who lose players be compensated in any way?

But of course this plan may still not go ahead. "The current plan, which is yet to be signed off by the league and clubs....". :) Prefer it to the previous idea, though.
Its very vague. My guess is clubs can sound out as many players as they like (how could you stop them unofficially having a word anyway), but they can only make formal offers to 4, and clubs have a right of reply, so they can offer an improved contract to try to keep them if they wish.

Sorry to intrude but from everything that I've heard regarding the new teams taking players, players from the Victorian teams will be given a score based on how they are rated/perform and then each Victorian club has to give up players totalling 100 points. So it's not quite as simple as giving up the bottom 5 on the list.
Basically it guarantees that the Demons would lose a player that is rated as around the quality of Paxman

Sorry to intrude but from everything that I've heard regarding the new teams taking players, players from the Victorian teams will be given a score based on how they are rated/perform and then each Victorian club has to give up players totalling 100 points. So it's not quite as simple as giving up the bottom 5 on the list.
Basically it guarantees that the Demons would lose a player that is rated as around the quality of Paxman
See further up the page. WolfgangV contacted the AFL and was told that plan had been scrapped.

A win is a win... and the season is still alive so I'm trying to be positive but the game should never have been in the balance that late, it was almost another one we threw away.

It's going to be a bulldogs brisbane GF, looking at the fixture ahead. brisbane won't lose nother game and we'll go to water against either doggies or Carlton next week. Another year of 'what might have been' I'm afraid

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's going to be a bulldogs brisbane GF, looking at the fixture ahead. brisbane won't lose nother game and we'll go to water against either doggies or Carlton next week. Another year of 'what might have been' I'm afraid
I still reckon Pies could knock off the Dogs.

A win is a win, but again we just can't get scoreboard reward for dominance of play and opportunities created. I have a fear that we may produce a carbon copy of last year. There is a very real chance that even if we win our last two we'll still miss the GF on percentage having lost a game we should have won easily (GWS last year, Freo this), and other games we should have won by much more. Maybe we'll finally break the wasteful streak (11.23 in the last three games plus god knows how many other misses) against either Carlton or the Doggies and kick 16.0. :) Just hope it's not against the Doggies after we've lost to Carlton and put ourselves out of the race........

Unfortunately the Herald-Sun link is now behind a subscription wall, but it clearly stated that the points ranking system has been dumped.

Hickey was really bad in the last few minutes

It's almost heresy but I'm a little worried about Mel. She's trying to burst through traffic and getting caught too often, I'm wondering if it's a case of years of being able to brush off most of the players at state league level but the quality of tackling has risen now and she hasn't adjusted. She's never been quick over the ground, I think they may need to use her judiciously and not expect too much. She still is immensely valuable and has a lot to offer but at 33 it needs to be tempered with realism.

I have a question for those in the know. Does anyone know who are Melbourne's Tier One and Tier Two listed players? Obviously Daisy is one of the Tier Ones, and I'd assume Mel is the second based on her 2017 marquee status (or did they promote Paxy, maybe?) And who are the four Tier Twos?

I'm asking as under the current proposed scheme for helping North and Geelong build their lists it would seem one of the ways the expansion teams could potentially lure players would be to offer them a higher "ranking" at the new club. For all we know the AFL may change the whole player ranking and payment system tomorrow, I'd put nothing past them, but at the moment that's what we've got to work with.

Last edited:
I have a question for those in the know. Does anyone know who are Melbourne's Tier One and Tier Two listed players? Obviously Daisy is one of the Tier Ones, and I'd assume Mel is the second based on her 2017 marque status (or did they promote Paxy, maybe?) And who are the four Tier Twos?

I'm asking as under the current proposed scheme for helping North and Geelong build their lists it would seem one of the ways the expansion teams could potentially lure players would be to offer them a higher "ranking" at the new club. For all we know the AFL may change the whole player ranking and payment system tomorrow, I'd put nothing past them, but at the moment that's what we've got to work with.
If I had to take a guess at the 6 of them, I'd say Daisy, Paxy, Mel, Elise, Bianca Jakobsen and Lily Mithen. That's the top 5 from the BnF, and the big recruit.

If I had to take a guess at the 6 of them, I'd say Daisy, Paxy, Mel, Elise, Bianca Jakobsen and Lily Mithen. That's the top 5 from the BnF, and the big recruit.

If I'm redoing that list I'd take out Hickey and Mithen and sub in Meg Downie and Tegan Cunningham. Meg Downie has had an excellent year and unfortunate she injured her shoulder against the pies. Tegan Cunningham is better than Carltons gun key forward but without the media spotlight. Rocky is a bit unreliable but could almost replace BJ on that list

If I'm redoing that list I'd take out Hickey and Mithen and sub in Meg Downie and Tegan Cunningham. Meg Downie has had an excellent year and unfortunate she injured her shoulder against the pies. Tegan Cunningham is better than Carltons gun key forward but without the media spotlight. Rocky is a bit unreliable but could almost replace BJ on that list

Interesting names you mentioned. Rocky plays for the Geelong VFLW team, as does Mithen, so I suspect they may be approached. And of course Mel has a strong family connection to Geelong.

Re Meg's shoulder, I'm hoping it will be Ok this week. She didn't seem too restricted in the after match celebrations on Friday night so here's hoping.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back