General MFC Discussion 2.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing we haven’t really spoken about is Hogan, which I’m glad for. Seems to have just quietly put together a very good preseason, will be a huge season for the big man I reckon. Will be the first time he hasn’t played as the only forward target, and his dynamic with TMac is very good. Will put in a 55+ goal effort for mine

He is going
One thing we haven’t really spoken about is Hogan, which I’m glad for. Seems to have just quietly put together a very good preseason, will be a huge season for the big man I reckon. Will be the first time he hasn’t played as the only forward target, and his dynamic with TMac is very good. Will put in a 55+ goal effort for mine
to be super vital to the teams success imo.

Got a feeling he will kick 60+ and average around 17-18 possies a game

Putting what happened to his old man aside I think last year can be the making of him. He's no longer looked at as the superstar saviour and in his absence both he and the team are aware we can play good footy without him needed to develop into Tony Lockett. We were able to develop other forward options and now he's going to spend time up in the midfield aswell which should help him stay involved in games and avoid the frustration he can get.

If he can be more Nick Riewoldt/Jarryd Roughead than Josh Kennedy/Tom Hawkins we will be a better side

Putting what happened to his old man aside I think last year can be the making of him. He's no longer looked at as the superstar saviour and in his absence both he and the team are aware we can play good footy without him needed to develop into Tony Lockett. We were able to develop other forward options and now he's going to spend time up in the midfield aswell which should help him stay involved in games and avoid the frustration he can get.

If he can be more Nick Riewoldt/Jarryd Roughead than Josh Kennedy/Tom Hawkins we will be a better side
I think his game might benefit from TMac doing some of the heavy lifting in the forward line

I think his game might benefit from TMac doing some of the heavy lifting in the forward line

I just love TMac up forward because his elite fitness and attack on the ball in the air makes him such a reliable target. I still haven’t forgotten the Port game last year where he only kicked 1 but he constantly broke even in 1v2 situations, guy is a hug competitor. Agree with Topkent that it lets Hogan roam around and do what he wants, Jesse is such a naturally talented player (Good field kick and handball, excellent mobility and ball handling) that you don’t want him stuck inside F50 all game.

I’m seriously bullish about our forwardline this year, we’ve got 7 players on our list who have kicked 20+ in a season and next year whilst having a 60+ goalkicker is unlikely we could have 4-5 guys with over 30.

I just love TMac up forward because his elite fitness and attack on the ball in the air makes him such a reliable target. I still haven’t forgotten the Port game last year where he only kicked 1 but he constantly broke even in 1v2 situations, guy is a hug competitor. Agree with Topkent that it lets Hogan roam around and do what he wants, Jesse is such a naturally talented player (Good field kick and handball, excellent mobility and ball handling) that you don’t want him stuck inside F50 all game.

I’m seriously bullish about our forwardline this year, we’ve got 7 players on our list who have kicked 20+ in a season and next year whilst having a 60+ goalkicker is unlikely we could have 4-5 guys with over 30.

One thing I hate is when commentators pick and arbitrary number and say if Hogan kicks 50+ goals Melbourne plays finals. That's a cap statement, if hogan takes 15 marks in a game then I reckon the other forwards will get on the end of a few. Against north it felt like we went were kicking it to a different player every time we went forward, if we keep that up we will play finals because teams won't know where to use their intercept markers on us.

I swear to god Weideman better turn out to be a gun bc Charlie Curnow was such a ******* obvious pick. Like I can accept any of our draft blunders inc Toumpas over Wines and Tyson/Salem over Kelly but Cook over Darling and Weideman over Curnow make me cringe.
The thought of having him and Petracca each rotating between the midfield and forward line is crazy. It'll rightfully be considered a Toumpas-level bust if Weideman doesn't play some good football.

One thing I hate is when commentators pick and arbitrary number and say if Hogan kicks 50+ goals Melbourne plays finals. That's a cap statement, if hogan takes 15 marks in a game then I reckon the other forwards will get on the end of a few. Against north it felt like we went were kicking it to a different player every time we went forward, if we keep that up we will play finals because teams won't know where to use their intercept markers on us.
To be fair if McDonald and TMac kick 100 between the i reckon we finish top 4

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I couldn't agree more. I like what Goody has done to the forward half, they have many options and rotations with the midfield guys. it should prove hard for the opposition teams to counter.

My big call is that we now finish ahead of the Swans given their lack of a proper ruckman. Yes they have an incredible midfield but IMO our midfield + Gawn will win us more games than them.

Any news on Pedo? Haven’t heard anything at all. Flying under the radar?
I think playing Tmac forward makes it hard for pedo to get a game this year. Even more so if frost plays down back as well. His best chance is if the demons just play oscar and lever as key defenders with the option of throwing Tmac back if needed, then pedo can play on the bench as back up fwd ruckman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back