Local SA Womens Competition - General Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
The inaugural season of the SANFL Women’s League competition, which kicks off early next year, will be named the ‘Statewide Super Women’s League’ and will feature four teams following a month-long selection process.

The four clubs selected to be part of the inaugural women’s league are; Glenelg, North Adelaide, Norwood and West Adelaide.

Late last month all eight SANFL clubs were invited to submit an expression of interest of which six committed to take part in the new elite competition that compliments the AFL Women’s League and provides South Australian women with a critical talent pathway.

The competition will be played over seven weeks in February and March.

It will run concurrently to the inaugural AFL women’s competition and will not overlap with the existing SA Women’s Football League.

Sturt and Woodville-West Torrens were the only non-AFL aligned clubs not to seek a place in the new competition.

The inaugural season of the SANFL Women’s League competition, which kicks off early next year, will be named the ‘Statewide Super Women’s League’ and will feature four teams following a month-long selection process.

The four clubs selected to be part of the inaugural women’s league are; Glenelg, North Adelaide, Norwood and West Adelaide.

Late last month all eight SANFL clubs were invited to submit an expression of interest of which six committed to take part in the new elite competition that compliments the AFL Women’s League and provides South Australian women with a critical talent pathway.

The competition will be played over seven weeks in February and March.

It will run concurrently to the inaugural AFL women’s competition and will not overlap with the existing SA Women’s Football League.

Sturt and Woodville-West Torrens were the only non-AFL aligned clubs not to seek a place in the new competition.
This competition starts tonight.

SA starting a long way behind in girls'& women's AF -but they are keen to fast track development

This competition starts tonight.

SA starting a long way behind in girls'& women's AF -but they are keen to fast track development

Not sure of what other leagues in SA there are, but i note that SE QLD womens footy has 4 divisions this year with over 30 teams.

http://www.aflq.com.au/22200-2/

I noticed the enthusiasm for womens footy in QLD about 5 years ago and the amount of girls playing.

Craig Starcevich seemed to be a big driver in QLD

Video of the games here. Given what we have heard about the depth of SA footy, I was surprised at the standard. There were quite a few I thought could step up to AFLW standard without a lot of problems. Norwoods 16 yo Nicky Gore looks the goods.

The third quarter opens up a bit and has some good footy at about the 54 min mark if you do not have time to look at more than a sample.

Seems like a pretty decent crowd to. So the AFLW is having an effect in that a lot more people know about it womens footy, and are prepared to give it a look.

http://sanfl.com.au/live-stats1/

THE SANFL has been encouraged by the overwhelming backing from clubs for the new wom-en’s state league.

SANFL general manager of football Adam Kelly said all eight state league clubs had expressed interest in the league, with Glenelg, West Adelaide, Norwood and North Adelaide being granted places in the inaugural competition.

The league had received six submissions to enter a team while the other two clubs supported the concept but cited the timing as not being right to be ready to form a side.

“We have all eight clubs wanting to be involved in the competition, it is just a matter of timing,” Kelly said.

“The interest in women’s football from a participation point of view has had a huge growth. We had 16 teams in under-13 and under-15 metro girls competitions last year and there have been nominations for 60 teams this year. At the SA Women’s Football League level, they had 26 teams and there have been nominations for 44.”

This year’s SANFL league involves six rounds at The Parade and Richmond Oval with the two top teams contesting the grand final at Unley Oval on April 1.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...n/news-story/94f507446cf5ac90f19d5acd91920b4a

THE SANFL has been encouraged by the overwhelming backing from clubs for the new wom-en’s state league.

SANFL general manager of football Adam Kelly said all eight state league clubs had expressed interest in the league, with Glenelg, West Adelaide, Norwood and North Adelaide being granted places in the inaugural competition.

The league had received six submissions to enter a team while the other two clubs supported the concept but cited the timing as not being right to be ready to form a side.

“We have all eight clubs wanting to be involved in the competition, it is just a matter of timing,” Kelly said.

“The interest in women’s football from a participation point of view has had a huge growth. We had 16 teams in under-13 and under-15 metro girls competitions last year and there have been nominations for 60 teams this year. At the SA Women’s Football League level, they had 26 teams and there have been nominations for 44.”

This year’s SANFL league involves six rounds at The Parade and Richmond Oval with the two top teams contesting the grand final at Unley Oval on April 1.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...n/news-story/94f507446cf5ac90f19d5acd91920b4a
If Adelaide have 44 adult women's teams in 2017, this is massive growth- 59%.
Adelaide , if it has 44 teams in 2017, can claim it is outperforming Melb., pro rata! (Melb., pop. c.4,650,000, will have c.110 adult teams in 2017)

Are the 60 nominations in 2017 for U13 & U15 combined -or 60 in each?

SOUTH Adelaide will be one of two teams added to the SANFL women’s competition next year after league officials confirmed the competition is set to increase to six teams in 2018.

The Statewide SANFL League will announce the Panthers as the fifth team, joining North Adelaide, Norwood, Glenelg and West Adelaide who competed in the inaugural league this year, next season.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...k=48ec9d0bc18a5c6d1672d92739563896-1498745995

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WOMEN’S football will be a centrepiece as the State Government on Saturday launches a social media campaign set out to further the engagement and opportunities for women in sport.

A taskforce headed by Katrine Hildyard, the assistant minister to the Premier, will on Saturday afternoon release the first in a series of “Ending Gender Inequality Commitment Statement” videos featuring sport and community leaders.

The taskforce, which was formed in 2016, has encouraged members of the public to pledge their support to the cause.

Central to the workings of the taskforce are:

IMPROVING gender equality in all aspects of sport.

CHANGE the face of sport leadership.

INCREASE spectators at women’s sport, and

ATTRACT women’s sporting events to SA.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/af...a/news-story/4cdc0d05dd243642c83388aa4c03e042

I read last week there has been a big increase in the no. of adult women's community (ie not SANFL) AF teams in Adelaide. IIRC, going from 45 in 2017 to c. 78 in 2018.
It would be appreciated if any one can find the article, provide exact figures, & post it. I'm having trouble finding it!

Last edited:
Patience pays off for former Australian basketball star and doctor Jess Foley after winning SANFLW Player of the Week

JESS Foley says her rapid rise in Australian rules football is because of the backyard tussles with her siblings as a youngster.

The former Australian and state basketballer loved football growing up and enjoyed kicking the Sherrin around with her older brothers, Ben and Simon and father, John.

She turned to hoops because of a lack of opportunities for girls and only started playing football again last year, featuring for West Adelaide in the SA women’s amateur league.

Foley, now 34, is part of Sturt’s inaugural SANFLW side and quickly becoming one of the competition's top players.

Her performance against North Adelaide last Friday, which included 26 disposals, 11 marks, seven tackles, 22 hit-outs and six inside 50s, earned her The Advertiser’s Statewide Super SANFLW Player of the Week.

“I grew up playing footy having a couple of brothers and was very keen on it as a youngster,” says Foley, who is a GP at the Flinders Medical Centre.

“My brothers are quite a bit older, so when they would come and play, they were rough and there were plenty of tears.

“I picked up footy last year for a bit of fun, but I probably wasn’t expecting to develop my skills as quickly as I have.

“It’s (Player of the Week) is a nice accolade, I wouldn’t have expected that before the season started.”

Foley, who won gold with Australia at the FIBA Oceania championships in 2009, is proud to be doing well on the football field.

But she is keen for the Double Blues to claim their first win in the women’s league after losing the past three matches.

“We’ve got a really young team … but we’ve improved every week,” she says.

“It’s been fun playing in the league and I’ve been fairly impressed by the standard.”

Foley is unsure if she will put her name in this year’s AFLW draft because of work commitments but is enjoying playing at a local level.

Sturt play Glenelg at Norwood Oval this Friday at 8.30pm.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...k/news-story/520702c1dc1b60baccf582196c518c9e

I know

but apparently the Crows players will be in the team? -

Unless they were just talking about the Darwin based Crows players?
Darwin based I think. Part of the reason for doing it is the growing quality divide between SA women's footy and NT women's footy. This gives a higher quality comp for current and aspiring AFLW players in the NT.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Actually, they are allowing Adelaide based Crows players to play in this NT Thunder team.

They will only play something like 4-5 games each, but that's what I was told (followed it up after reading a line in an AFL article about it).

I’ve really been enjoying the sanfl w comp this year.
I goal umpired a few sawfl games last year (1 div 1 game and 2 div 3 games)
And this year have been doing sanfl w games.

Every game I’ve had has been a good contest. (Yeah, I didn’t get the north-Sturt game last week)
And even in the quarters where it is a drag. They’re 17 flat. The teams regroup and next quarter is generally pretty good (yeah, I didn’t get the Norwood-South game. Was it last week or the week before?)

In all honesty, I think the umpiring is bette in the sanflw than the AFLw.

The AFLw uses umpires who might have a future in the afl. They’re fit but still developing their knowledge and feel for the game.
The sanflw uses umpires who didn’t have the commitment to push the fitness side of things. But they’re more experienced and have a good feel for the game.

Yeah, you might wait 1 extra second for the ball up. But I feel there’s a lot less being missed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back