Adelaide: Did they blow their golden chance?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
After numerous years of ups and downs since the 2012 prelim it finally seemed like the Crows year in 2017. We obviously all know that it went horribly wrong in the grand final.

Did they blow their chance to win a flag with this list?

We've seen in the past teams lose in grand finals and never get back there with that list. Fremantle and St Kilda being recent examples.

They've now got the 2nd oldest list in the AFL so they would really want to hope that they're still better than the likes of GWS, Geelong and Sydney in the next year or two.

Gibbs, Sloane, Betts, Jacobs and Jenkins are all 28 or older. Walker is almost 28. Obviously they're not all going to turn to s**t the moment they turn 30, but you'd have to imagine their best footy has already been played or they're close to beginning their declines. A player like Gibbs may last well into his 30s but in a different role.

They've also lost two young talents in Lever and Cameron which certainly will hurt them going forward. In the case of Lever the loss of Brodie Smith for the year will hurt them even more this season.

Looking at their youngsters, outside of Wayne Milera and Matt Crouch where does the improvement come from to go one better? Do we think the addition of Bryce Gibbs was enough to put them over the top this year?

Gibbs came at a high cost so Adelaide would really want to be winning a flag while he's still playing good footy. Otherwise that trade could really come back to hurt them.

I think the Crows will be right in the hunt this year, but I can't help but wonder if that was their best chance last season.

Thoughts?

We've seen in the past teams lose in grand finals and never get back there with that list. Fremantle and St Kilda being recent examples.

St Kilda made back to back grand finals, so it's not as if the first one scarred them too badly.

And we've seen Hawthorn lose a grand final and then go on to three-peat, Geelong lose a grand final and then go onto win two of the next three, Sydney get smashed in a grand final yet go on to at least get back there two seasons later (notwithstanding the fact they lost - they were still able to rebound to get there). North lost a grand final they really shouldn't have lost in 1998 and won the premiership the following year.

Cant wait for this thread to be merged. What a waste of space. There is already a thread just like this.

We are still in our window. Its not until after youve left the window that you realise you are out of it. So coming off a minor premiership and 1 lost final (albeit the most important one) to suggest the window is shut is just plain dumb. Lets wait until we go 13-9 and crash out in the semis before we call it a day hey?

Late 20s is considered a players peak years so thanks for pointing out our stars are right in their peak. What a great reason to suggest its over.

Oh and just so you know - Gibbs coming at a cost has * all to do with anything. We are a team in the window and we are going for glory.

Go hard or go home.

A high cost is the narrative from carlton but most others dont see it that way when you look at the big picture.

But its great to get a lecture on trades and premiership windows from a fan of a club who havent been anywhere even mediocrity in a decade.

Cant wait for this thread to be merged. What a waste of space. There is already a thread just like this.

We are still in our window. Its not until after youve left the window that you realise you are out of it. So coming off a minor premiership and 1 lost final (albeit the most important one) to suggest the window is shut is just plain dumb. Lets wait until we go 13-9 and crash out in the semis before we call it a day hey?

Late 20s is considered a players peak years so thanks for pointing out our stars are right in their peak. What a great reason to suggest its over.
Never suggested your window is shut.

Reading clearly not your strong suit if you think that's what I was saying.

They've now got the 2nd oldest list in the AFL so they would really want to hope that they're still better than the likes of GWS, Geelong and Sydney in the next year or two.

Thoughts?

Your reason as to why the side that comprehensively smashed them in the GF isnt named amongst the bolded 3? no need to answer we know haha

Your reason as to why the side that comprehensively smashed them in the GF isnt named amongst the bolded 3? no need to answer we know haha

Yet another example of tiger insecurity.

Your premiership cup should do the talking.

Geelong, GWS and Sydney have been at the top for a long time.

Richmond need to back it up again next year to stamp their claim to being in that group and no, a cup doesnt do it. See: bulldogs.

Trust me if Richmond go top 4 again next year they will have their place amongst those teams.

Richmond need to back it up again next year to stamp their claim to being in that group and no, a cup doesnt do it. See: bulldogs.

Trust me if Richmond go top 4 again next year they will have their place amongst those teams.
Have you re-read your responses in this thread?
Talk about insecurity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh and just so you know - Gibbs coming at a cost has **** all to do with anything. We are a team in the window and we are going for glory.

Go hard or go home.

A high cost is the narrative from carlton but most others dont see it that way when you look at the big picture.

But its great to get a lecture on trades and premiership windows from a fan of a club who havent been anywhere even mediocrity in a decade.
Oh so because my club hasn’t won anything for a while I know nothing about footy, right?

What stupid ******* smug logic. Adelaide being good does not make you the world’s number one footy expert.

Oh so because my club hasn’t won anything for a while I know nothing about footy, right?

What stupid ******* smug logic. Adelaide being good does not make you the world’s number one footy expert.

Yeah but me being yhe worlds number one footy expert does make me the worlds number one footy expert you clown

They're certainly very capable of getting another chance at a Grand Final. They seem well-aware that it's now or never.

And Adelaide are very hard to stop at their home ground.

But the hard part for Adelaide isn't making a Grand Final - it's winning one under the conditions of playing away at the MCG in Victoria.

Oh and just so you know - Gibbs coming at a cost has **** all to do with anything. We are a team in the window and we are going for glory.

Go hard or go home.

Yeah but me being yhe worlds number one footy expert does make me the worlds number one footy expert you clown

Another top quality melt from everyone’s favourite alt account

28 is right on the edge. You certainly aren't physically going to improve after that. Think the OP makes a fair point. Winning a flag is so hard, you've have to be at almost peak performance to even have a shot. Think about Fremantle. Had a shot in 2013, blew it. Never got another shot. West Coast 2015, blew it. Never got another chance. These teams weren't even favourites, but they blew a golden chance by performing poorly on the biggest stage. Adelaide had a shot, a golden shot in 2017, blew it. They might be able to get back up there again. But they might not. And that's what the OP is asking. Can they get themselves back into contention? Or did they blow their golden chance?

28 is right on the edge. You certainly aren't physically going to improve after that. Think the OP makes a fair point. Winning a flag is so hard, you've have to be at almost peak performance to even have a shot. Think about Fremantle. Had a shot in 2013, blew it. Never got another shot. West Coast 2015, blew it. Never got another chance. These teams weren't even favourites, but they blew a golden chance by performing poorly on the biggest stage. Adelaide had a shot, a golden shot in 2017, blew it. They might be able to get back up there again. But they might not. And that's what the OP is asking. Can they get themselves back into contention? Or did they blow their golden chance?

Yeah except Hawthorn blew it right before a 3 peat. So really until you know, you dont know.

All signs point to Adelaide being up top somewhere again. We wont know different until we are shown different

Remove this Banner Ad

Back