Game Day JLT2 - Melbourne v St Kilda, Thursday 8 March, 7.05pm, Casey

Remove this Banner Ad

Take out Wagner, Vince, Maynard, Bugg, and Stretch (who was decent) and add TMac, Viney, ANB, and Harmes and we’re a two or three goal better side. Didn’t see much of OMac after quarter time so either he was injured, being managed, or the coaches feel that he and Frost don’t fit in the same side

Well, I'd have preferred the 100pt win it looked like at Qrt Time, but I'll take it,

We definitely took the foot off the gas in a big way for a while there, just not sure if it was directed preservation, or just over confidence, lesson learned hopefully.

Viney, TMac, ANB, Harmes and Lewis to come into that team, not to mention there was a little bit of experimentation going on with midfield time, Oliver played forward for a lot of the game for example (still had 27 for crying out loud!)

13 goal kickers with 5 kicking multiple is a really good sign too.

I like this. We're building a reputation as a team that no one would want to play against during the pre-season. In coming years opposition sides will feel a sense of dread if they get drawn against us in AFLX or the JLT Cup. They know they won't just be able to turn up and go through the motions; they're in for a seriously difficult warm-up to the main season.

Also now that Jones isn’t running through the midfield he needs a more defined role. Looked aimless for most of the night
Yeah he was fairly meh the whole night really, and worryingly, when we went quiet in the 3rd qrt, and could have used a bit of leadership to steady the ship at some point, he was nowhere to be seen - much like what happened in the back end of the year when Viney was out injured.

Noticed that we played most of that game without a key forward. It’s a better structure i reckon - less bombing long to Hogan and more careful selection of targets. If Hogan or TMac happen to be those targets it’s a bonus, but our forward movements today gave everyone a chance

solid hit out. I thought we dominated them for the first quarter and a half and the last quarter. 3rd quarter we had not enough grunt around the ball with Oliver playing forward and Salem, Maynard and co getting easily beat in the middle. looked like Goody made too many moves that quarter and no one had a clue who was on who as the saints got loose men everywhere through the middle of the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really happy with the pre season.

Lever will make a huge difference this year. He looks to have slotted in well. Add In other youngsters like Trav Clarry Hogan Salem and this year should be exciting.

Gawn looks in great shape. Hopefully nothing more than cramp in that hammy.

Not sure what happened in that third quarter. We don’t want those lapses this year.

Really looking forward to round one.

Yes - against the Eagles over here last year.

On another note, that match was remarkably similar to when we played them in round 21 last year. We were up by 32 at half time then, and the Saints got close at 3 quarter time (ok so they actually led us for a few minutes tonight) and we ended up winning by 24.

From the sidelines it looked as though during the period we went missing and Josh Bruce and McCartin kept taking marks inside 50 in the 3rd quarter Lever and O Mac were both off the ground leaving frost and wagner playing as the key backs for a large chunk.. reminds me of a JLT game last year when Josh Bruce kicked 6 or 7 against some nothing defence.. turns it on when the guns are resting but didnt do much apart from that.. Lever came back on the ground, outmarked him and we took it up the other end for a goal

Just rested apparently, along with Harmes and ANB earlier in the week - seems they are taking it easy on some of the guys that played both AFLX and JLT 1.
Was standing with Harmesies uncle at the game, got a concussion at training on Friday and didnt get cleared to play last night

Remove this Banner Ad

Back