Can Richmond go back to back? # Did overconfidence cost them against Collingwood #

Did overconfidence cost Richmond the win against Collingwood?

• yes

Votes: 75 61.5%
  • no

Votes: 47 38.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Little sand wedge banana passes to his table tennis buddy
Love the Butler. Played his first senior game last year, ended up 8th in the B&F with a Premiership medal around his neck.
His moves are as good as anything from Micheal Jackson, dances through packs with ease, made Cuninton look second rate at one stage last night. Will be a dead set superstar.

No one took them seriously until half way through the grand final, because frankly no one thought they were any good. Things will be very different now they have a target on their back. Throw into that they haven't improved their list and you have the perfect recipe for bulldogs 2017.

Their core is their same core from when they were the joke of the AFL, going to be some tough truths this year once they realize they just got lucky in 2017...

Nice attempt. The Tigers will be hunted but the game they play can not be taken away from them. Its all about prolonged pressure so its as much a mind set and challenge of endurance as it is tactical. Teams have to change their line ups and strategies completely against us which is also difficult. If we can stay healthy, I worry about the uproar from the Pies fans baying for Bucks blood when we destroy Collingwood by 100+ points. :shoutyoldman::D

No one took them seriously until half way through the grand final, because frankly no one thought they were any good. Things will be very different now they have a target on their back. Throw into that they haven't improved their list and you have the perfect recipe for bulldogs 2017.

Their core is their same core from when they were the joke of the AFL, going to be some tough truths this year once they realize they just got lucky in 2017...

Wow. We really hurt you. Say we back to back it this year, i want you to know one thing. I will have seen three tiger flags in my lifetime. Pies have seen two in 69 years. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This pre season reminded me of the hawks 2014 pre season where after a flag they won by 130 odd, 60 odd and 110 before cantering to the 14 flag.
I have clear memories of Richmond winning flags in 67, 69, 73, and 74. They were the Hawthorn of that era. I suspect and fear they could be on to a similar domination. Tom Lynch will help. Top players will want to go there.

I have clear memories of Richmond winning flags in 67, 69, 73, and 74. They were the Hawthorn of that era. I suspect and fear they could be on to a similar domination. Tom Lynch will help. Top players will want to go there.

That’s very true, and indeed scary.

For example, Dusty has already made-up $3 million in lost earnings by turning down the North contract.

A successful Richmond, much like Collingwood, offers more opportunities for capitalising on mainstream media exposure.

Lynch, and others, will be well aware they can sign for “unders” with us while actually making more money than they could elsewhere.

All we need to do is back it up, and convince opposition players that we’ll be up the top for a while yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s very true, and indeed scary.

For example, Dusty has already made-up $3 million in lost earnings by turning down the North contract.

A successful Richmond, much like Collingwood, offers more opportunities for capitalising on mainstream media exposure.

Lynch, and others, will be well aware they can sign for “unders” with us while actually making more money than they could elsewhere.

All we need to do is back it up, and convince opposition players that we’ll be up the top for a while yet.
Agree with you. Can't say it's pleasing me, but I see it very clearly.

Have they even finished top 2 since 1982? I suppose b2b is more possible than Bartletts projection of 5 flags. Which for perspective is also possible

Its not impossible but B2B's are rare because there are a lot of pitfalls for a premiership side. Less hunger, less time to prepare for the season, harder fixture, other teams rising up, teams figuring out your gameplan etc etc.

Richmond as a side that hadn't won any finals prior to 2017 would seem more vulnerable to these sorts of factors than your typical premiership side. They also had very few injuries last year, an easy fixture from finishing low on the ladder and were extremely fortunate in terms of suspensions and getting to play all their finals at the MCG despite not earning the right by finishing top 2. Nothing wrong with all that - you need to take advantage wherever you can to win a flag but to me it adds up to a lot of things going right and on balance you would expect less things to go right for them this year.

One thing that isn't an issue is they don't have an old list that is past its best. Their key players are all still in their primes and they have some good young talent coming through. So there's no 'natural decline' in my opinion. I just think they will need to be a better team this year if they want to win it again.

Richmond as a side that hadn't won any finals prior to 2017 would seem more vulnerable to these sorts of factors than your typical premiership side.

Means nothing. Hawks before their 2008 campaign won 2 finals from 1992 to 2007, 1991 and 2008 being premiership years.

After 1995 and up until 2007 finals we just won 2 finals. Then won the flag and went on a run.

You can hand pick stuff like this and make it look s**t many different ways. The facts are, PREMIERSHIP.

This pre season reminded me of the hawks 2014 pre season where after a flag they won by 130 odd, 60 odd and 110 before cantering to the 14 flag.
We did not canter to the 2014 flag. Had one of our biggest years of adversity as a club. And we beat the favourites who took one of the best players of the comp from us.

2014 was close to the best Hawk flag ever - and not because it was a canter

Last edited:
Have they even finished top 2 since 1982? I suppose b2b is more possible than Bartletts projection of 5 flags. Which for perspective is also possible

Going back to ‘82 reaching for ladder stats have we? Oh my. How’s our finals record v Fitzroy now going since 82? Go on darling, give us some more “wowee” points of view.

Going back to ‘82 reaching for ladder stats have we? Oh my. How’s our finals record v Fitzroy now going since 82? Go on darling, give us some more “wowee” points of view.

Isn't it great how many 'old' stats were just washed away in 2017.

Of course we CAN.

Whether we WILL, depends on injuries to key personnel, just like it does for any other reigning premier. A poster also said we haven't added to our list. I disagree. We have added good youngsters in Higgins and Balta in particular. What we haven't done is LOSE any key player to retirement or another team.

At least it's the most enviable position to be in.....

Means nothing. Hawks before their 2008 campaign won 2 finals from 1992 to 2007, 1991 and 2008 being premiership years.

After 1995 and up until 2007 finals we just won 2 finals. Then won the flag and went on a run.

You can hand pick stuff like this and make it look s**t many different ways. The facts are, PREMIERSHIP.
Hawks won a final in 2007. Buddy’s first big moment in footy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back