The Funny Side of Football

Remove this Banner Ad

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Footy can be a little too serious at times. Players having injuries, concussions, homesickness..Fans bickering amongst each other on forums on who should be in their team's best 22..Coaches' hair turning greyer by the day from added media scrutiny..

Sometimes it's ok to have a smile, a chuckle, a giggle or a LOL. What are the aspects of football that brings you the most smile/laughter as a footy fan?

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Seeing goals (for my team) always bring a smile. The harder the difficulty is directly proportional to the bigger the grin. :D
Often, the big booming kicks for goal and the snaps from a fine angle brings out some extra expletives (of happiness)!

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
"Blow the god damn siren" after the first score of the game (if it's your team) is an oldie but goodie.

I'm pretty sure the first Crows game I went to was against Fitzroy Rnd 4 1993 and I was 8 yrs old

Late in the 4th quarter, scores were level when a David Pittman snap for goal hit the post to put the Crows 1 pt up. Immediately everyone in the crowd started calling out 'Siren! Siren!'

At the time, I was thinking 'Why do they want to the siren to go? This is awesome I don't want it to end!'

When the siren did go and Crows won by a point, I realised why the siren was an important part! haha

Post padding

Premiership Player
Nov 15, 2009
echuca
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm pretty sure the first Crows game I went to was against Fitzroy Rnd 4 1993 and I was 8 yrs old

Late in the 4th quarter, scores were level when a David Pittman snap for goal hit the post to put the Crows 1 pt up. Immediately everyone in the crowd started calling out 'Siren! Siren!'

At the time, I was thinking 'Why do they want to the siren to go? This is awesome I don't want it to end!'

When the siren did go and Crows won by a point, I realised why the siren was an important part! haha

I went to that game. Still one of the best games for crowd involvement and atmosphere I’ve been too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Timewillcome

Senior List
Feb 1, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A woman sits behind me at the games (never seen her face, just know the shrieking voice). She likes to single out a dogs player for special attention, usually by identifying a weakness she sees in their game and berating them until they improve. Usually one of the less talented players like Scott West. Westy would have received the tap and gets pummeled to the ground by three opposition. "KEEP YOUR FEET WESTY". He never did.

Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
Crowd: "kick it"
Player kicks it to opposition.
Crowd: "Who was that to!!!"
This. I love it when crusty old timers and people living in the past who don't understand the modern game howl "JUST KICK THE BLOODY THING!" and the player does and it goes straight to the opposition. Hilarious!

Final Siren

Mr Squiggle
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
This. I love it when crusty old timers and people living in the past who don't understand the modern game howl "JUST KICK THE BLOODY THING!" and the player does and it goes straight to the opposition. Hilarious!
I wonder if we'll be those old-timers one day.

Us: "Tackle him!"
Young supporters: *snicker* "Right, grandpa, and leave yourself open to a Three-Prong Whirling Pincer Maneuver, good thinking."

Wayne Dwop

All Australian
Apr 16, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A woman sits behind me at the games (never seen her face, just know the shrieking voice). She likes to single out a dogs player for special attention, usually by identifying a weakness she sees in their game and berating them until they improve. Usually one of the less talented players like Scott West. Westy would have received the tap and gets pummeled to the ground by three opposition. "KEEP YOUR FEET WESTY". He never did.

West played 324 games for the Dogs' (fourth on their all-time list), winning a club-record seven best and fairests, the ruck-rover's spot in the Bulldogs Team of the Century, five All Australian selections, and five top-four placings in the Brownlow Medal ...

Less talented indeed!!!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back