Alex Wright (Norwood)

Jack Tuthill

North Launceston

Ins:

Outs:

Michael Stingel (Norwood)
Tom Bennett
Corey Nankervis

* will only add confirmed as there are obviously heaps of rumours out there.

* post here and I’ll add on

Last edited:
gill coming to town to talk with Will ( closed meeting , with head nodders )

AFL boss Gillon McLachlan will meet some of his unhappiest constituents later this month when he visits Tasmania.

The league chief executive said he intentionally delayed the visit until after last weekend's state election.

McLachlan on Wednesday confirmed the trip and added he would meet Premier Will Hodgman.

"I committed to wait until the election was over to go to Tasmania - I think everyone understands that's fair and appropriate," McLachlan said.

"I'm sure when I'm there, I will catch up with Will."

Tasmania is a hot issue for the league, with ongoing local discontent that they do not have their own AFL team.

Instead, Hawthorn play some home games in Launceston and North Melbourne do the same in Hobart.

More recently, AFL Tasmania chief executive Rob Auld was promoted to a job at league headquarters after less than two years in the role.

The Tasmanian State League has been in crisis, with Burnie and Devonport saying they cannot field teams because of a lack of numbers.

But McLachlan said the AFL had significantly increased its investment in Tasmanian community football, adding there had been growth in Auskick and community numbers.

"That is our focus at the moment - getting youth and community football working in Tasmania again," he said.

"We think there should be one team representing all Tasmanians, but acknowledge the challenges in that, with Hawthorn in the north and North Melbourne in the south."

McLachlan said disquiet over Auld's promotion, with Trish Squires taking his place, was misguided.

"He's done a hell of a job, the numbers speak for themselves and then (he) had an internal promotion," McLachlan said.

"I just don't think people understood what happened.

"I acknowledge there are challenges down there.

Anyone in community footy get an xtra practice ball ????

Like the last ,meeting trish had with the presi (7 ) no one else will b invited

Nothing will happen already reckons they addressed all the issues in the Garlick Report,

"He's (Auld) done a hell of a job, the numbers speak for themselves and then (he) had an internal promotion," McLachlan said.

"I just don't think people understood what happened."

What numbers are you talking about Gillon McLachlan:is that Auskick?, participation rates?, rounds of golf played by AFL Tasmania staff on a Wednesday at Royal Hobart?, or other KPI please explain...
Because Players getting Drafted and the State of the Premier Competition were nothing but a disaster under his watch you Gil are nothing but a spin merchant, unaccountable, polo playing Ponce ,piss of and take the two FIFO clubs with you they wont be missed FFS.

I know what happened its called Nepotism "Blessed is the Cheesemaker...and his brother"

Last edited:
Nothing will happen already reckons they addressed all the issues in the Garlick Report,

"He's (Auld) done a hell of a job, the numbers speak for themselves and then (he) had an internal promotion," McLachlan said.

What numbers are you talking about Gillon McLachlan:is that Auskick?, participation rates?, rounds of golf played by AFL Tasmania staff on a Wednesday at Royal Hobart?, or other KPI please explain...
Because Players getting Drafted and the State of the Premier Competition were nothing but a disaster under his watch you Gil are nothing but a spin merchant, unaccountable, polo playing Ponce ,piss of and take the two FIFO clubs with you they wont be missed FFS.

I know what happened its called Nepotism "Blessed is the Cheesemaker...and his brother"

Great post Budgie, I couldnt say that any better.

What numbers are you talking about Gillon McLachlan ? is that Auskick? participation rates? rounds of golf played by AFL Tasmania staff on a Wednesday at Royal Hobart? or other KPI...Because Players getting Drafted and the State of the Premier Competition were nothing but a disaster under his watch you are nothing but a spin merchant unaccountable polo playing Ponce piss of and take the two FIFO clubs with you wont be missed FFS. I know what happened its called Nepotism "Blessed is the Cheesemaker...and his brother"

Gil has made himself look stupid & arrogant as his 'comments' are at stark odds to whats happening on the ground. How could he possibly intimate the AFL 'plan' is working? Unless its designed to destroy football here? Melbourne radio SEN, Wilson & Age the Herald Sun have started to expose the AFL lie. They are stripping us blind.
The answer really lies with State Government. The focus is right on them to show some balls. Tell Gil his 'plan' is shyte. Either help local footballs part in player pathways or take the Hawthorn/North carpetbaggers back to Dingley & Arden st or wherever they belong. We clearly dont need them & they are just bludging on us. Invest in our sport & maybe just bring other forms of theatre entertainment to Tassie. Piss the AFL off. They do nothing & mean nothing any more.

Geez I thought the fat wog was corrupt and damaging as head of the AFL, this poonce is twenty times worse.
AFLX, AFLW, endless gimmicks, Tasmanian football in the worst mess in its history, country Victorian football about to disaffiliate from the AFL. Needs the boot.

Practice match tonight at North Hobart saw North Hobart run out 19.15 (129) to 3.3 (21) winners over Hobart in a five quarter match.
Demons were vastly fitter than Hobart and ended up kicking the final ten goals of the match.
Not sure who North were missing but Hobart had six senior players out, last year's SFL Under 18's Lipscombe Medalist Lachie Plummer who was tipped to step up to playing seniors this season has only trained once, pre-Christmas, and not been seen since.

Nth Hobart: 3.2, 9.5, 10.9, 17.12, 19.15 (129)
Hobart: 1.1, 2.1, 3.3, 3.3, 3.3 (21)

Last edited:
Tassie Mariners 10.11 (71) d Launceston 8.4 (52) at Windsor Park in today's practice match.
Last night at the Twin Ovals the Tigers beat Hutchins, no scores provided.

Tassie Mariners 10.11 (71) d Launceston 8.4 (52) at Windsor Park in today's practice match.
Last night at the Twin Ovals the Tigers beat Hutchins, no scores provided.
How do you find details on these games? There seems to be one fb page with scant information.

Just had the pleasure of watchin the replay of the G/F 2017 on NITV
worst than i thought ,Winter should have got Life
All the punches / dangerous tackles etc were behind play, and the red card would have been handy

How do you find details on these games? There seems to be one fb page with scant information.
There's a Facebook page called "Tasmanian Football Scores & News" that has info.
The SFL's photographer is also on my FB friends list and he posts info (and so do his other FB contacts) where I can find out bits and pieces on :)

There's a Facebook page called "Tasmanian Football Scores & News" that has info.
The SFL's photographer is also on my FB friends list and he posts info (and so do his other FB contacts) where I can find out bits and pieces on :)
Thanks mate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has the thought occurred that there may be too many competitions in Tasmania all competing for the same declining pool of players? ODFA clubs paying top $$$$ to pinch blokes from Brighton, New Norfolk etc helps no-one. Of course the blazer wearers want to strut around when their team wins the comp but most clubs that have folded would be due to either overspending to win flags, lack of players or someone having their hands in the till. There's just not enough population to sustain it.

Has the thought occurred that there may be too many competitions in Tasmania all competing for the same declining pool of players? ODFA clubs paying top $$$$ to pinch blokes from Brighton, New Norfolk etc helps no-one. Of course the blazer wearers want to strut around when their team wins the comp but most clubs that have folded would be due to either overspending to win flags, lack of players or someone having their hands in the till. There's just not enough population to sustain it.

The AFL say junior footy is growing. But have they added the girls to that? Certainly soccer say they've had increase participation, so too Basketball claim to have had big increases.

The population is still growing, but also getting older. Given that, one would think junior participation would be down?? But no! So the AFL say.

The thing about the economy is that it is strong at the moment. Maybe some guys would be busy working on weekends?. Also working to pay off higher house prices?? So maybe they're some reasons for struggling adult numbers??

Thoughts.

There are many ways to count numbers. I think AFL used to count anyone who got within a 50 metre arc of Auskick. So likely that a kid enrolled in AK at a club and got counted, got counted again when they did a session at school, turned up to a pre-season AFL club session and got counted. AFLT changed how they did schools throwing them at NM I think. I think a natural decline or lack of attention resulted as well, not as many sessions. But they would never ever say their numbers were declining, would they? Same goes for the other competing sports I suspect.

^ Its like anything. If you have stats involved you can put sny sort of spin on it that you want.
Best one I heard was Tasmania had a 100% increase in draftees last year - from 0 to 1!
Please. That's insulting everyone's intelligence.

I desperately want to see an NL versus Launceston grand final at Bellerive this year just to see how poor the crowd turnout is and to see what AFLT fudge the figure up to.
It'd get no more than 1500 here in Hobart and you can bet your ass they'll tell everyone it'll be "4500".
What is the lowest grand final crowd over the last hundred years?

Talking about spin yesterday article by Hamish Geale of the Examiner about Jeff Kennett on SEN talking about the TSL

Tasmanian State League ‘unmanageable’: Jeff Kennett

agree with the part about Scott Wade restructuring being a big part of the problem we have now, about spin
"Kennett also reiterated the Hawks’ desire to stay in Tasmania for as long as possible, where they receive $3 million annually from the state government for an estimated return of nearly $30 million to the economy."

Where is the data to back this up? "estimated return of nearly $30 million to the economy" Made up estimated statics = Fake News"

Having AFL sides play out of Tasmania has not improved the local leagues, the standard of Football, the amount of Kids being drafted, Some would say it all has gone backward since the Hawks and Saints started playing out of Launnie (as well as the crowds to these games) its all Bullshit, all about pork barrelling to start in Bass with John Howard at a Federal Jim Bacon at State and then North Melbourne were smart enough to play wedge politics with the old North South rivalry and get games played at Boot Park, when someone like Brayshaw plays your local pollies as fools you know there no hope....Fly in, Fly out....F*%k Off.

Still out State Government of both side of the fences have been stupid enough to throw millions of dollars at them, and then try sell it as the pathway to an AFL Tassie Team pumped up by the Mercury for 25 years and now after years of giving scant regard to local football anoint themselves as the Great White Knight “Save our Football” too little to late.

All my opinion only Grumpy Old Bast*rd

Last edited:
Talking about spin yesterday article by Hamish Geale of the Examiner about Jeff Kennett on SEN talking about the TSL

Tasmanian State League ‘unmanageable’: Jeff Kennett

agree with the part about Scott Wade restructuring being a big part of the problem we have now, about spin
"Kennett also reiterated the Hawks’ desire to stay in Tasmania for as long as possible, where they receive $3 million annually from the state government for an estimated return of nearly $30 million to the economy."

Where is the data to back this up? "estimated return of nearly $30 million to the economy" Made up estimated statics = Fake News"

Having AFL sides play out of Tasmania has not improved the local leagues, the standard of Football, the amount of Kids being drafted, Some would ay it all has gone backward since the hawks ans sainnts started playing out of Launnie (as well as the crowds to these games) its all Bullshit, all about pork barrelling to start in Bass with John Howard in Fedral Jim Bacon State and then North Melbourne were smart enough to play wedge politics with the old North South rivally and get games played at Boot Park, when someone like Brashaw plays your local pollies as fools you know there no hope....Fly in, Fly out....F*%k Off.

Still out State Government of both side of the fences have been stupid enough to throw millions of dollars at them, and then try sell it as the pathway to an AFL Tassie Team pumped up by the Mercury for 25 years and now after years of giving scant regard to local football anoint themselves as the Great White Knight “Save our Football” too little to late.

All my opinion only Grumpy Old Bast*rd

I would love to know how they get this 10/1 return on a $3mill investment. Most of the crowd is Tasmanian & mostly from Launceston area. I've heard of creative accounting, but looks too cute.

Kennett is a politician at heart. He's also Hawks president again so will say/do anything to keep their talons stuck into Tasmania.

Throwing blame is his game. Just ignore the fact the hawks do SFA to help Tasmanian football. Lets do some diversion away from that fact. Sure Wade & the AFL have had control for near 20 years, but Jeff needs to look in the mirror too.

I'm not sure what the AFL & Hodgman will come up with when they meet. One thing is the outcome will have no input from local football people. It'll be about the politics. Hodgman looking good & Gil looking good. We've already heard Gil's dribble, & it shows us nothing.

Platitude, platitude, platitude. Thanks Gil.

It was interesting to read the Clarence presidents comments in the Mercury about the desperate need for more TSL teams in the North and that the current 5/2 split was unsustainable, and obviously what he says is correct in my opinion if the TSL is to continue. The reality is that I can't see a third team in Launceston being interested in joining the TSL and as far as up here on the coast goes I would say there is no chance at all of Burnie and Devonport coming back in. AFL Tas said after their meeting with the 7 club presidents 3 weeks ago that there would be immediate and urgent consultation with people in the North West region to try and get a coastal team back in but nothing publicly has happened yet and unless they are dealing with clubs and others behind the scenes the urgency seems to have disappeared. My question is have we reached the point that consideration should be given to going back to regional competitions because the TSL can't continue with the 2 Launceston teams being almost unbeatable like they will be without the addition of at least 2 new northern clubs. The TSL is a great concept and the football standard is good but in practical terms it has many problems and very little public interest. Before the TSL started in 2009 I remember the NTFL standard being quite good, not as good as TSL but still pretty good. It comprised of the 8 original NWFU clubs plus Launceston, North Launceston and South Launceston.

It was interesting to read the Clarence presidents comments in the Mercury about the desperate need for more TSL teams in the North and that the current 5/2 split was unsustainable, and obviously what he says is correct in my opinion if the TSL is to continue. The reality is that I can't see a third team in Launceston being interested in joining the TSL and as far as up here on the coast goes I would say there is no chance at all of Burnie and Devonport coming back in. AFL Tas said after their meeting with the 7 club presidents 3 weeks ago that there would be immediate and urgent consultation with people in the North West region to try and get a coastal team back in but nothing publicly has happened yet and unless they are dealing with clubs and others behind the scenes the urgency seems to have disappeared. My question is have we reached the point that consideration should be given to going back to regional competitions because the TSL can't continue with the 2 Launceston teams being almost unbeatable like they will be without the addition of at least 2 new northern clubs. The TSL is a great concept and the football standard is good but in practical terms it has many problems and very little public interest. Before the TSL started in 2009 I remember the NTFL standard being quite good, not as good as TSL but still pretty good. It comprised of the 8 original NWFU clubs plus Launceston, North Launceston and South Launceston.

Unfortunately ,Clarence footy club(s)believe they have the god given right to dominate/win everything they enter.
they have stripped all the local clubs of many players, with promises , promises, and $$$$$$$$( no local kids coming through their juniors.) Its well know fact that under Wade , they breached the salary cap for yrs
the mercury refused to print anything, possibly because Adam Smith /James Bresnehan as Clarence members

Do not feel sorrow for them,because they are getting some of there own medicine back , and cant handle it:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Unfortunately ,Clarence footy club(s)believe they have the god given right to dominate/win everything they enter.
they have stripped all the local clubs of many players, with promises , promises, and $$$$$$$$( no local kids coming through their juniors.) Its well know fact that under Wade , they breached the salary cap for yrs
the mercury refused to print anything, possibly because Adam Smith /James Bresnehan as Clarence members

Do not feel sorrow for them,because they are getting some of there own medicine back , and cant handle it:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Well they haven't got the AFLTas CEO in their back pocket any more. They'd hate that. :)

What is the lowest grand final crowd over the last hundred years?
At Tier One (TANFL, TFL Statewide, TSFL, SWL, TSL) level the lowest Grand Final crowd stretching back to when records were first kept over 100 years ago is the 1934 TANFL Grand Final when North Hobart and Lefroy met at North Hobart in front of only 3,640 fans.
Most of the TSL Grand Final attendances would feature among the top fifteen lowest turnouts.
Not sure about the old NTFA, NWFU or NTFL attendances but the lowest at the SFL was 1,970 at KGV when Cygnet and Brighton met in a replay played only two hours before the start of the 1998 AFL Grand Final between North Melbourne and the Crows.

Top 15 Lowest TFL/State League Grand Final Crowds
3,640 - Nth Hobart v Lefroy (1934)
4,034 - Nth Hobart v Cananore (1941)
5,000 - Nth Hobart v Cananore (1914)
5,078 - Nth Hobart v Cananore (1939)
5,420 - Nth Hobart v Cananore (1940)
5,569 - Burnie v Launceston (2012)
5,842 - Nth Launceston v Western Storm (2014)
5,904 - Sth Launceston v Burnie (2013)
5,978 - Glenorchy v Nth Launceston (2015)
5,980 - Nth Hobart v Sandy Bay (1945)
5,990 - Nth Hobart v Lefroy (1938)
6,000 - Lefroy v North Hobart (1930)
6,001 - Hobart v Nth Hobart (1960)
6,021 - New Town v Nth Hobart (1935)
6,108 - Nth Launceston v Lauderdale (2017)

Last edited:
TSL 2018 Season to have a top Five Final Series Unbelievable Carl Saunder “we have booked the venues we must have a four-week final series”
So, play the season roster games for five out of seven teams to qualify for finals (Every Child Wins A Prize!)...enjoy the last ever State-wide league oh yes the seven clubs get an extra 20K this year according to Carl Saunder.

AFL Tasmania seem to be backtracking about getting a new team on the Coast next year or ever,

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back