Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
it occurred to me the other day that the 15+7+finals system Gillon was so set in seems to have been quietly dropped
Other things like AFLW are going full bore. Anyone’s thoughts on initiatives under Gillon?

One thing which seems to be happening is concentration of real power to just a few people. Not sure this is needed and could result in a Oakley Samuels Collins type dictatorship

There’s the footy distribution tax. Went ahead but losing favour apparently
AFLW and AFLX. Going ahead but plenty of development to come
15+7. Quietly shelved
What others?

plenty of ideas and initiatives. Almost all copied from other sports (mainly American ones) and very little orginality.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I intensely dislike many of the decisions that Gill has made. I dislike them in isolation, and I worry about what they say collectively about the priorities of the man.

The mooted inclusion of mid thirty year old Xavier Campbell on the new AFL Panel worries me.....he seems to think about the game like it is a widget and all we need is to sell more units. And the language he employs reminds me of an undergraduate writing an overblown essay about the marketplace.

I would like to see more past AFL footballers in positions of influence at AFL House.

Anyone employed by the AFL that has the sport itself ahead of money would never get a job there so based on that Gillon is doing nicely following in the footsteps of the previous “I will do anything for money” CEO’s.
Game day experience is the thing that has dived for me. Gillon keen on the Big Bash league-style fan experience...dreadful

They should maybe visit some once successful leagues and competitions which now languish, sometimes by the admin loving them too much

Soccer in Brazil
The FA Cup
Lower divisions in english soccer
upload_2018-3-11_10-33-7.jpeg

I intensely dislike many of the decisions that Gill has made. I dislike them in isolation, and I worry about what they say collectively about the priorities of the man.

The mooted inclusion of mid thirty year old Xavier Campbell on the new AFL Panel worries me.....he seems to think about the game like it is a widget and all we need is to sell more units. And the language he employs reminds me of an undergraduate writing an overblown essay about the marketplace.

I would like to see more past AFL footballers in positions of influence at AFL House.

I don't know how this gets implemented without club approval. could easily end up with a Collins-Oakley-Samuels axis of evil (all who have since admitted they got key things wrong especially forced mergers)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am not impressed with what Gilligan has done.

Too many rule changes, the tribunal system seems to change every year and the ethics around the management of the competition continue to be tested with his FIXturing, Ambassadorial payments, compensation for lost free agents, etc.

Comes across as a corporate cheat for mine.

When you picture the CEO of a major company, you think tact, professionalism, and intelligence. I see none of that at AFL headquarters four years into "Gilligan's" tenure. (Besides, Steve Hocking is now the new "Skipper")
They are simply trying to justify their jobs, any similarity to the game i grew up with is purely coincidental. Now they want a ten man panel to nut out all of their nutjob ideas, none of which will improve the actual game on field or return it to what it should be. (millennial's won't know what that is)
Corporate CEO's are never off the clock. Whether they are in the office, in the media room, in a cheap hotel with some bird half their age or leading the cops on a high-speed chase, they are representing the company at all times. In return, the organisation pays them a seven figure salary and keeps their brain damage a secret. It's the fans who pay for this in the end! We all hold a healthy suspicion of big companies, but sometimes their sheer world dominating might can be hard to get your head around. The AFL know the IQ of your average Magpie fan is below a hundred and they act accordingly.
There really is no point in changing Gil over for someone else, there is a revolving door of this type of CEO ready and waiting to screw things up at a moments notice!
It will be interesting to see how we all deal with "The Adventures of the Terrible ten".

What all CEO's do. How to make games shorter and make more money! Same s**t as when Cadbury downsize their blocks.

It's all about ripping off the fan/consumer and being able to charge them x5 what you should for your s**t product.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back