Game Day JLT2 - Melbourne v St Kilda, Thursday 8 March, 7.05pm, Casey

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the rankest five minutes of umpiring I’ve ever seen at the start of the last quarter. The holding the ball interpretation in particular was a big bucket of WTF
Its practice for the umps to work out which end of the pineapple to screw us with this season...

One of the rankest five minutes of umpiring I’ve ever seen at the start of the last quarter. The holding the ball interpretation in particular was a big bucket of WTF
What about the deliberate against Lever? Ridiculous - almost as mental as the meltdowns on Demonland. I swear some of them think we won't win a game after the 3rd quarter last night.

Looked like Goody was doing a fair bit of experimenting after half time and the forward press was pushed up to just outside 50. Still think we should have an anchor that is defensive goal side of their last player, like Phil Davis at GWS or Rory Laird at the Crows. It's the simplest way to stop conceding goals over the back.

Yeah the holding the ball on Oliver and the deliberate against Lever were just flat out mistakes. Sometimes I do wonder what they see exactly. Like with those types of calls i usually pause it and rewind it, actively trying to convince myself at least of what they saw so I can understand it. But with those two there really was no excuse.

The Oliver one, he leapt into the air to retrieve the ball and had arms around him by the time he landed. How would there possibly be prior opportunity or an opportunity to dispose of it in that time? I'm just not sure of why the umpire wouldn't just ball it up and save any 'controversial' call. No one would have batted an eyelid - granted it is only preseason.

The deliberate rule I just don't understand any more. When you can be penalised because of the way the ball bounces. I just don't understand it. If it had have sat up even one of the bounces it took, I think it was Hannan would have ran on to it perfectly, and everyone would have been gushing over Lever's ball use. Instead it rolled end on end, and at a 90-degree angle out for a free kick against. Good luck explaining that rule to someone.

Oh and the 'contact below the knees'. There were two paid. One against Oliver and I think the other against Hunt. In both situations the players really didn't understand in because it both instances, we were first to the ball, with both hands on the ball. I really don't understand what you are meant to do in that situation. I think in both cases it should have been a free kick in favour of us, for high contact. If you are going to come steaming in with no control on your pace and not get low enough to pick the ball up in time and arrive second, you should be penalised for making high contact on the player that did win the race there and has bent over to pick the ball up. We should be protecting the head, not the legs. This rule was not brought in for that purpose. It was brought it to stop players sliding in legs or knees first.

Last edited:
I remember there being one against Hannan?
Yeah I think you're right. Might have been 3 in total then. In each case I thought our guys were just first to the ball and had their head over it. I thought the frees should have actually gone the other way, and protected the players' head, not the players' legs. Call me crazy

Yeah I think you're right. Might have been 3 in total then. In each case I thought our guys were just first to the ball and had their head over it. I thought the frees should have actually gone the other way, and protected the players' head, not the players' legs. Call me crazy
Hannans was a bit stiff as he had gone up for the mark, brought the ball to ground, was on his knees already and was on his second effort as he dived for the ball. The Saints player was running through and got collected. By the letter of the law it was the right call but I thought it was stiff.

Hannans was a bit stiff as he had gone up for the mark, brought the ball to ground, was on his knees already and was on his second effort as he dived for the ball. The Saints player was running through and got collected. By the letter of the law it was the right call but I thought it was stiff.
It was ridiculous - there's no way Hannan even knew the Saints bloke was there, and his attack on the ball was incredible

But is it even to the letter of the law? If he's already down there, perhaps the player shouldn't be running through? Not long till we see players just sprinting through packs and tripping over player going for the ball to win free kicks in that case

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk

What to say about that game whilst remembering it was only pre season.

I think we went from halfway through the 2nd quarter to the mid way through the last without getting an uncontested mark inside 50. It was bomb it long saints kill it and then rebound past our press and score. ******* horrible to watch

Good- There is a real evenness to the team, really feel like everyone pulls their weight and we arent reliant on one bloke doing it all.
Lever really came into his own in this game. Read the play well and influenced the game.
Fritsch's foot skills should replace what we lost with Watts, blokes a serious talent.
Dom Tyson was really good, thought he was very present inside.
Our forward line looks bloody dangerous, always someone around who can kick a goal now and getting Brayshaw and Oliver some time down there looked good.
Petracca was filthy as an inside midfielder, bloody hell he will win a brownlow one day.
Hunt was invisible in the first half but kept at it and worked his way into the game, also I couldnt be more happy with how he uses the footy now, he almost refuses to go long and always looks short. I love it.
I honestly think Hogan had an average workman like game and still got 20 odd touches and 8 marks, plenty of improvement left in his game but hes already putting up great numbers.

Bad- Our forward press was too high again and it was worrying that we couldnt change it up in the 3rd to stop their run on, we went back to stacking our forward half and bombing it long which was reminiscent of our early season stuff last year where we wasted I50s over and over and left space for the opponents to counter attack.
Still think we look thin on for a quality negating defender but not much we can do about that now.
Nathan Jones Christian Salem were anonymous for the game, hardly even noticed they were playing

Nathan Jones Christian Salem were anonymous for the game, hardly even noticed they were playing
Agreed, Salem is not best 22 for me at the moment, Jonesy has to be in there obviously, just need to find the role for him.

I’m not too worried about that 3rd quarter, we were playing a 2nd string midfield and it is natural for players to ease up a bit when up by 31 at half time in a preseason game. St Kilda also had to show something after a pretty s**t first 6 quarters of the year, they won’t make finals but they’re far from a terrible side.

I need to do a full rewatch but I thought Tyson and Hogan’s tackling stood out, there was a real willingness to defend from all 18 players (Tyson’s spoil running back with the flight was superb). Really noticed TMacs absence because we had no one to contest those long balls in (TMac is our best at bringing the long ball to ground inside 50), we bombed it long a lot in the 3rd to a 2v4. It is ridiculous we have both Petracca and Oliver in the same team, god I can’t wait for the real thing!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not too worried about that 3rd quarter, we were playing a 2nd string midfield and it is natural for players to ease up a bit when up by 31 at half time in a preseason game. St Kilda also had to show something after a pretty s**t first 6 quarters of the year, they won’t make finals but they’re far from a terrible side.

I need to do a full rewatch but I thought Tyson and Hogan’s tackling stood out, there was a real willingness to defend from all 18 players (Tyson’s spoil running back with the flight was superb). Really noticed TMacs absence because we had no one to contest those long balls in (TMac is our best at bringing the long ball to ground inside 50), we bombed it long a lot in the 3rd to a 2v4. It is ridiculous we have both Petracca and Oliver in the same team, god I can’t wait for the real thing!

Actually was gonna mention this meself, both of those guys really tackled with intent especially Tyson who I reckon was our best with Bugg in that department.

Agreed, Salem is not best 22 for me at the moment, Jonesy has to be in there obviously, just need to find the role for him.

Nah I reckon fuzz gets a gig, Wagner will come out of the side before him as will stretch.

Also forgot to mention Brayshaw, thought he was noticeably more confident around the footy from the North game.

Rewatching the match now with sound. Lol at that psycho StKilda fan in the crowd losing his s**t over a practice match.

He was standing pretty much right next to me. His understanding of the rules, amusing to say the least.

Actually was gonna mention this meself, both of those guys really tackled with intent especially Tyson who I reckon was our best with Bugg in that department.

Nah I reckon fuzz gets a gig, Wagner will come out of the side before him as will stretch.

Also forgot to mention Brayshaw, thought he was noticeably more confident around the footy from the North game.

Doubt Bugg plays round 1 but he looked super fit last night and his pressure was excellent.

Doubt Bugg plays round 1 but he looked super fit last night and his pressure was excellent.

I dont have him in my best 22 but if plays with effort he might just be the 22nd player picked, I reckon Goody and co love what he brings to the forward half. The 2 misses he had from inside 30 is the only thing holding him back from being a decent player.

I dont have him in my best 22 but if plays with effort he might just be the 22nd player picked, I reckon Goody and co love what he brings to the forward half. The 2 misses he had from inside 30 is the only thing holding him back from being a decent player.
Those misses.... brought back memories of early last year. He needed and empty goal square to score.

Just watching the game now and Fritsch has been amazing for the first quarter and a bit. This kid is easily at the level, he is all class. He’s going to be an important player for us I think.

Love that even our own supporters are underrating Bugg.

I'm more than happy for him to experiment w/ different kicking techniques etc. in the off-season. Once the real stuff starts I honestly can't see him missing a goal.

Not to brag but my Tyson for AA prediction is looking beautiful as well.

That game looked like it was played at about 80% from midway through the second quarter. I really hope we learn to keep our foot on the pedal this year.

Now this would be a ladder that I could live with at Round 23. Let's hope.

JLT SERIES LADDER

RICHMOND 2-0, 261.1%
GOLD COAST 2-0, 188.7%
SYDNEY 2-0, 159.5%
MELBOURNE 2-0, 148.2%
CARLTON 2-0, 116.5%
GWS GIANTS, 1-1, 141.5%
FREMANTLE, 1-1, 120.7%
PORT ADELAIDE 1-1, 118.8%

WESTERN BULLDOGS 1-1, 94.2%
ADELAIDE 1-1, 91.1%
COLLINGWOOD 1-1, 84.7%