Mod. Notice Depressed? Anxious? Call Beyond Blue (1300 224636), Lifeline (131114), resources in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

A young guy ended his life today that was in both my girls class, they are shattered poor things .suicide sucks balls . I have no answers for them .

Being a person that has contemplated suicide, planned it, even made a half arsed attempt at it. I’m also someone that knows deep down I could never do it.
The problem I faced was I was raised not to talk about my problems, bury the past move on and bottle it up. It’s only been the last 12 months that I have managed to find the courage to open up to a degree.
What I suggest( I’m not a trained professional so please ignore if you want) is to talk to your daughters and encourage them to talk. Let them know they are not alone, that no matter what the problems they face they are not alone.
When I’ve had them feelings, I felt isolated, the burdens getting heavier with the feeling of their being no other escape. some were of my own doing, others not.
A solution can be found with any problem, sometimes it takes courage to admit it to another person. IMO it’s when you feel that you can’t talk and open up and ask for help that you get caught up in the emotive of your issues, that you can’t find the logic in finding the solution to your problems. Asking for help can be difficult, it’s not failure to ask for help. What your really asking for is guidance in directing you to a solution. Hope I made some sense.

I have but it hasn't helped much.
Have you taken it further eg. psychiatrists/psychologists and ongoing counseling? The key is you, in that you need to find your own value of self-worth. Mental health professionals can help partially, but not the be all. You need to put in the effort also. Good eating and exercise regularly is probably more beneficial than the psychiatric medications. Or it might be just a matter of modifying the doses or changing to another medication.
Suicide thoughts are not something anyone should take lightly. Please tell us more, or in the least, continue to seek ongoing advice/hospitalisation.

Have you taken it further eg. psychiatrists/psychologists and ongoing counseling? The key is you, in that you need to find your own value of self-worth. Mental health professionals can help partially, but not the be all. You need to put in the effort also. Good eating and exercise regularly is probably more beneficial than the psychiatric medications. Or it might be just a matter of modifying the doses or changing to another medication.
Suicide thoughts are not something anyone should take lightly. Please tell us more, or in the least, continue to seek ongoing advice/hospitalisation.

Yeah I have been to hospital and see pyschs regularly. Soon I'm getting intensive help. The thing you guys could probably help me out the most with is which team I should support. I haven't been able to choose and it bums me out.

Being a person that has contemplated suicide, planned it, even made a half arsed attempt at it. I’m also someone that knows deep down I could never do it.
The problem I faced was I was raised not to talk about my problems, bury the past move on and bottle it up. It’s only been the last 12 months that I have managed to find the courage to open up to a degree.
What I suggest( I’m not a trained professional so please ignore if you want) is to talk to your daughters and encourage them to talk. Let them know they are not alone, that no matter what the problems they face they are not alone.
When I’ve had them feelings, I felt isolated, the burdens getting heavier with the feeling of their being no other escape. some were of my own doing, others not.
A solution can be found with any problem, sometimes it takes courage to admit it to another person. IMO it’s when you feel that you can’t talk and open up and ask for help that you get caught up in the emotive of your issues, that you can’t find the logic in finding the solution to your problems. Asking for help can be difficult, it’s not failure to ask for help. What your really asking for is guidance in directing you to a solution. Hope I made some sense.
Very well said.

It’s a farce this site pretends to care about people with depression, when they allow one member to constantly target another member with seeming total impunity from mods, whilst the other is blasted with infractions when they show even the slightest attempt at fighting back. It’s just like school again for me. I honestly feel like I could disclose feelings of suicidal ideation in this thread, and no mod would give a rats arse.

It’s a farce this site pretends to care about people with depression, when they allow one member to constantly target another member with seeming total impunity from mods, whilst the other is blasted with infractions when they show even the slightest attempt at fighting back. It’s just like school again for me. I honestly feel like I could disclose feelings of suicidal ideation in this thread, and no mod would give a rats arse.
This thread is not like the rest of BF though. It's been totally supportive and non-judgemental - a safe place to check in and be vulnerable. I think the mods would be all over it if there was anything like what you're talking about in here. This thread has been very important to a lot of people. If you want to express something, do it here - we're all on the same side.

Yeah I have been to hospital and see pyschs regularly. Soon I'm getting intensive help. The thing you guys could probably help me out the most with is which team I should support. I haven't been able to choose and it bums me out.
You're speaking in sentences that are real serious matters. But then you talk about choosing a team for you...Are you just trying to be funny? :)

I concur with most of what you said. Though this is the thread you can blast out your frustrations and you're likely to receive some positive comments in return. This is the mature thread for adults talking about serious issues, not a thread talking and whining about why your team deserves to be in the Finals.

You're speaking in sentences that are real serious matters. But then you talk about choosing a team for you...Are you just trying to be funny? :)
I am serious. Its weird I know, but it is actually a big problem for me because of obsession.

you'd be very much wrong. This is a serious thread. Trolling and bullshit are treated with zero tolerance.

I am serious. Its weird I know, but it is actually a big problem for me because of obsession.
What are you actually obsessed about? And how can we pick a team for you when we don't actually know your preferences?
Maybe tell us a bit of background if you're wanting genuine support. No offense, but you're conversations are a little confusing.

I get obsessed with a lot of things (germs, social stuff, etc) and footy teams is one of them. I guess I would a team on the rise with a passionate fanbase and good colours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get obsessed with a lot of things (germs, social stuff, etc) and footy teams is one of them. I guess I would a team on the rise with a passionate fanbase and good colours.

My sister and I went for our teams in 1984 grand final. I went Hawthorn as they were were winning, my sister went Essendon as my parents were going for them to win. 34 years later neither my sister or I have swapped our allegiances to the teams we chose that day. I suggest you find a team you like and stay with them. Unless it’s St.Kilda you will be rewarded!

I’m rather tired and frustrated at the moment. Was told to either renew my lease or vacate the premises. Chose to vacate as my new job is 1000km away!
So enjoying my new job, giving me a new set of skills. On the weekends, drive the 1000km back to my old place to pack and clean, before driving back on Monday! Looking forward to Easter where I’m hoping I can finally move to start my new life. At the moment I’m waiting to hear back from another job that’s more money than my new job (truthfully it’s terrible money but a good environment to be working in). So no idea where I’m moving to. As the one with more money is 4 hours in my current new job. Still lots of choices and decisions to be made! Why the frustration.

I’m rather tired and frustrated at the moment. Was told to either renew my lease or vacate the premises. Chose to vacate as my new job is 1000km away!
So enjoying my new job, giving me a new set of skills. On the weekends, drive the 1000km back to my old place to pack and clean, before driving back on Monday! Looking forward to Easter where I’m hoping I can finally move to start my new life. At the moment I’m waiting to hear back from another job that’s more money than my new job (truthfully it’s terrible money but a good environment to be working in). So no idea where I’m moving to. As the one with more money is 4 hours in my current new job. Still lots of choices and decisions to be made! Why the frustration.
My advice would be to think carefully about changing jobs again after such a short time. I know you say the money is terrible, but as long as it's not catastrophically low, and you seem to be happy where you are at the moment, I'd be thinking you might not want to look that gift horse in the mouth. There's no guarantee that the other job will be better or more satisfying - even if it is more money. You've got to ask yourself whether you'll be kicking yourself if you don't like it as much as your current job, and the fact that you've moved house yet again. I think money is only a small component of happiness - and you can't put a price on happiness. Only think about this other job if you are confident there is more happiness to be found there, and you won't be risking your well-being.

Pretty upset and annoyed tbh. Thought I was going well then boom it’s creeped right up again. The anti depressants stop me going in to an extreme anxiety stage, but I still have the thoughts daily that I’m physically ill as that’s how I legitimately feel. The anti depressants give me terrible nightmares and I’m not even convinced there worth it anymore. I want to be 100% myself again not just the 60-65% the medication allows me to be. Sorry for the rant

Pretty upset and annoyed tbh. Thought I was going well then boom it’s creeped right up again. The anti depressants stop me going in to an extreme anxiety stage, but I still have the thoughts daily that I’m physically ill as that’s how I legitimately feel. The anti depressants give me terrible nightmares and I’m not even convinced there worth it anymore. I want to be 100% myself again not just the 60-65% the medication allows me to be. Sorry for the rant
You don't need to ever apologise for a rant here mate

Exercise is still the best remedy or going for a long walk.

Drugs,I have tried them,and I felt lower than an ants guts.

I have been using those resistance tubes to exercise.

Get off social media also.

Hope everyone gets over the black dog,in a very competitive World where status is everything,the World can feel the loneliest place.

I have gotten rid of coffee as it made me feel miserable.

But I used to drink ten cups a day,I would chain drink coffee,feel buzzed but feel like s**t afterwards,I still have the aftereffects of coffee abuse like not being able to stay focussed when someone talks to me or avoiding eye contact,that’s from a supposedly harmless drug caffeine.

One cup a day is probably good for you but as soon as I have one,I am addicted.

Beer the same.

I don’t need alcohol,I don’t drink during the week,usually at the footy because it helps my social awkwardness,that is why most drink,you feel more confident and I am a happy drunk,I feel so happy but then your nervous system gets worse and you feel down from the effects,footballers can get away with it because they are extremely fit.

I definately have a reliance on alcohol at the footy but it has made me a zombie.

Exercise is the only way out of depression or it can alleviate it to some extent.

Last edited:
I sometimes wonder if I’ll ever feel my normal self again sadly.
If it's a depression or mental illness that is happening for a while or episodes tend to recur frequently, then likely there's a biological factor going on. This generally means there is an imbalance in the brain chemicals that are needed for normal mental functioning.

So the trick is to see mental illness in a similar vein as any physical condition that is an imbalance in chemicals in the body/blood eg. Diabetes, epilepsy, iron deficiency etc. And like all chronic physical conditions, mental illnesses can remain controlled or sometimes they get worse. So don't beat yourself up whenever things turn sour. Go seek medical/psychological advice, in the same way a diabetic or epileptic patient would if they have a complication during their course of illness.

If it's a depression or mental illness that is happening for a while or episodes tend to recur frequently, then likely there's a biological factor going on. This generally means there is an imbalance in the brain chemicals that are needed for normal mental functioning.

So the trick is to see mental illness in a similar vein as any physical condition that is an imbalance in chemicals in the body/blood eg. Diabetes, epilepsy, iron deficiency etc. And like all chronic physical conditions, mental illnesses can remain controlled or sometimes they get worse. So don't beat yourself up whenever things turn sour. Go seek medical/psychological advice, in the same way a diabetic or epileptic patient would if they have a complication during their course of illness.
Good advice, I do have some issue getting across exactly how I feel to a gp however

Good advice, I do have some issue getting across exactly how I feel to a gp however
The trick to improving your mental health is to talk to the right people:
- find a GP who actually likes to deal with mental health. The ones that don't speak much and just prescribe medications willy nilly aren't in your best interest. Not trying to bash all GPs, but the reality is every GP have their strengths and weaknesses. You need to find the GP that has a strength in dealing with mental health, not the type that mainly deals with common colds and pap smears.
- if there's a lot on your mind, then a psychologist is the better person with more time to discuss your issues.
- if it's the medications that are constantly causing side-effects, then maybe see a psychiatrist who are better at picking the most appropriate medication(s) for you.

Hope the above info helps!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back