Preview Round 1 2018: Richmond vs Carlton @ The MCG. Thursday 22 March @ 7:25pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Richmond beat Carlton in round 1 - they’ve won 7 in a row against the blues.

Beating their previous all time best, 6.

Quite a historic day when you think this will technically be our best stretch against them in our history.

Carlton have won 125 games to our 91.

Carlton also won the first 24 on the trot when we started the in VFL. So it looks a tad more respectable to eliminate those where it’s 101-91 haha.

Anyway, maybe we can finally make back the original 24 lost. We’re a quarter of the way there.

Finals however, different story. We’ve beaten them in 15, lost 6 and had one draw.

Went through a period where we won 10/11 finals (with the other being a draw).

4-2 in grand finals

Last edited:
Bolton, Lloyd, Short and Ellis are my guess at the ins.
Can’t believe footy is almost back, the Finals of last year seem like they were only weeks ago still.

If Richmond beat Carlton in round 1 - they’ve won 7 in a row against the blues.

Beating their previous all time best, 6.

Quite a historic day when you think this will technically be our best stretch against them in our history.

Carlton have won 125 games to our 91.

Carlton also won the first 24 on the trot when we started the in VFL. So it looks a tad more respectable to eliminate those where it’s 101-91 haha.

Anyway, maybe we can finally make back the original 24 lost. We’re a quarter of the way there.

Finals however, different story. We’ve beaten them in 15, lost 6 and had one draw.

Went through a period where we won 10/11 finals (with the other being a draw).

4-2 in grand finals

Im so hot for you right now

I just can't see anything on their list that threatens us. I look at Carlton in a positive light too because most of my family support them.

Maybe i'm over confident but yeah, that's where I stand.

Are you the Black & Gold sheep of the family? :)

Nice preview.

From the Carlton team you selected, Lang will not play & l don't think McKay will play (we will be too top heavy)

Byrne will definitely play & l think the other spot will be out of Cuningham or Garlett (if both of these two guys play then Mullet may not play)

Will be interesting to see how it unfolds. Seems we have been playing a more run & overlap handball style in the JLT rather than predominately kicking style of last year.

I would feel a lot more comfortable with Lloyd being in the side over C. Ellis. I don’t know what people think C. Ellis will provide if he’s selected. A few “silky” kicks to make up for his significant lacking in everything else? It’s a no from me.

Lloyd is the safer option IMO. I guess I’m different to the vast majority in that I don’t think we should take Carlton lightly, especially in round one. I wouldn’t go experimenting with players. Just get the job done and play the best 22.

Lloyd has proven, IMO, that he has reached his limit, and the club have given him plenty of opportunities to cement a spot in the last 2 years, and that hasn't happened. I assume from here he will be used like Miles, sparingly.

He was given a chance in AFLX (which is s**t I admit) but was outperformed by most, mainly young kids, and when given his chance in JLT, he didn't do enough. I think what is his problem now is that he thinks he has to play like Dusty to keep his spot, and too often he doesn the selfish type thing rather than the team base thing and it costs him, as usually it goes wrong. I thought that was clearly evident in his AFL games last year, and a few occasions against #lolNorf last week.

I get you don't rate Cellis, and that's fine, but I would put a handful of kids into this line up before Lloyd (and Miles). You ask to play best 22 and Lloyd doesn't appear to be that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lloyd has proven, IMO, that he has reached his limit, and the club have given him plenty of opportunities to cement a spot in the last 2 years, and that hasn't happened. I assume from here he will be used like Miles, sparingly.

He was given a chance in AFLX (which is s**t I admit) but was outperformed by most, mainly young kids, and when given his chance in JLT, he didn't do enough. I think what is his problem now is that he thinks he has to play like Dusty to keep his spot, and too often he doesn the selfish type thing rather than the team base thing and it costs him, as usually it goes wrong. I thought that was clearly evident in his AFL games last year, and a few occasions against #lolNorf last week.

I get you don't rate Cellis, and that's fine, but I would put a handful of kids into this line up before Lloyd (and Miles). You ask to play best 22 and Lloyd doesn't appear to be that.

100% this. His performances in the VFL were exceptional but his AFL performances last year were poor and he didn’t look great in his one JLT. For a good kick couldn’t believe he kicked it oof from straight in front before HT.

100% this. His performances in the VFL were exceptional but his AFL performances last year were poor and he didn’t look great in his one JLT. For a good kick couldn’t believe he kicked it oof from straight in front before HT.
upload_2018-3-14_10-7-29.png
Apart from 2 games (Swans and Blues 2nd game), his stats were quite low, which is the criticism of Cellis is it not?
He also ave below 3 tackles per game, which is the other criticism of Cellis is it not?
And that game against the Swans, which statistically was one of his better games, was definitely one were he made bad decisions with ball in hand in the second half that cost us scoring opportunities (potentially costing us the game).

Yes Lloyd in 2016 was much better than this, but he hasn't shown that at AFL level for some time.
Has Cellis ever shown that, No, thats easy, but if I'm chosing between the two with, AT WORST, getting the same impact from each player (based on 2017 AFL form), I'm taking the kid with the potential to improve over the older player who appears to be on the decline at AFL level.

Assuming Prestia, Houli, Rioli and Broad don’t play, can I ask who you would bring in if you’ve scratched Lloyd and Miles?

Assuming Prestia, Houli, Rioli and Broad don’t play, can I ask who you would bring in if you’ve scratched Lloyd and Miles?

For Prestia CEllis is clearly next cab of the rank.
Houli likely Conca but I’d go Short.
Broad is a bit harder as he is a good guy to play small and tall, Garth isn’t ready and I assume Menadue injured so Short on a wing and Kmac back but pretty much guarantees Conca plays.
Bolton for Rioli.

Sure,

Rioli - Bolton, I think this is easy, like for like, and Bolton has played that role for the JLT series
Houli/Broad - Both back 6 so I put them together - Short will be one, played 16 games last year, unlucky to miss, and has played well in JLT. I'm not sold on it, but I think Conca will be the other. Played back 6 (and to his credit played really well) until hurting his foot last year, so I think they will go with him. It is 2 smalls for a small and medium, but I think Short can move to a wing and Kmac to HB if running medium (in Broads mould) is required.
Prestia - Cellis. Whether you or I like it or agree with it doesn't matter, he has been given that role all preseason, and been given it ahead of Lloyd, so I can't see the selection committee suddenly reversing it for Round 1.

The only spot, IMO, Lloyd would be inline for is Rioli's, but Bolton has done enough, and pressure isn't exactly Llyods go to, so I don't think he gets a go. I highly doubt hes in the conversation for the other spots to be honest because I doubt he could play the role required.

In fact I would guess Moore is also in front of Lloyd for selection for round 1, performed better at AFLX, and had more impact in limited time in JLT2 (even if it was against #lolNorf).

IVe got a sneaking suspicion our boys are gonna be on from the moment they see that flag and hear the crowd.
Big loss in leadership without Docherty and Gibbs and a big chance they'll freeze up I reckon if we red-line the pressure from the get go.
Be interesting to see if we try a few different things in the second half.

I'd like to see Chol come off the bench ruck and run into the fifty, see how Bolta goes in Jacks position and although I haven't talked him up see how CEllis goes linking up to get the ball out of the back half.
Most of all I want to see more of the confidence and belief of the JLT games.

The comps becoming for even, we all know how much the percentage played apart in the shape of the finals last year I hope we play hard for four quarters.

Remember how disappointing the loss to this mob was first game back after Richo came second in the Brownlow?
That scarred us for years.
This is a chance to get a psychological advantage for next few years I reckon and let the comp know, Tiger Time it ain't over.

Let's break em in half.
GO TIGES!

Sure,

Rioli - Bolton, I think this is easy, like for like, and Bolton has played that role for the JLT series
Houli/Broad - Both back 6 so I put them together - Short will be one, played 16 games last year, unlucky to miss, and has played well in JLT. I'm not sold on it, but I think Conca will be the other. Played back 6 (and to his credit played really well) until hurting his foot last year, so I think they will go with him. It is 2 smalls for a small and medium, but I think Short can move to a wing and Kmac to HB if running medium (in Broads mould) is required.
Prestia - Cellis. Whether you or I like it or agree with it doesn't matter, he has been given that role all preseason, and been given it ahead of Lloyd, so I can't see the selection committee suddenly reversing it for Round 1.

The only spot, IMO, Lloyd would be inline for is Rioli's, but Bolton has done enough, and pressure isn't exactly Llyods go to, so I don't think he gets a go. I highly doubt hes in the conversation for the other spots to be honest because I doubt he could play the role required.

In fact I would guess Moore is also in front of Lloyd for selection for round 1, performed better at AFLX, and had more impact in limited time in JLT2 (even if it was against #lolNorf).
I get nervous when Kmac goes down back much better higher up the ground although against this mob it shouldn’t matter

In all honesty if we are looking at the future I would do this

Rioli - Bolton
Prestia - Higgins he can rotate with Butler
Houli - Short
Broad - C.Ellis and make McIntosh more acceptable in defence. We will have enough run from Short and B.Ellis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back