theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Who knows? We've yet to see it so just speculating. The players who have towelled up Wingard (rarely happens) seem to be (relatively) agile big bodied mid/defs so I certainly wouldn't be against giving Connor a go.
He's certainly an option, and there seems to be commitment to keeping him in defence.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm pretty sure Sutcliffe has been the one going to Betts in recent times. Not Spurr.
Definitely Spurr that has been assigned to him every game in recent history. Sutty (and others) have no doubt relieved at times though. Sutty mostly played on Milera last year from memory.

Hazelsnuts

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2016
The beach
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
North Beach. AIK Stockholm
I don't mean that Wilson mans him all the time. I mean for the other defenders to leave those two alone to play a game of cat and mouse with each other, for example force Wingard to follow him out of the 50.
Exactly... rotate the agile defenders big or small like Hughes, Blakely and Wilson on Wingard.
Lockdown defenders shouldn’t be part of our game plan especially ones over 30, defend, even the contest and hurt the opposition with ball use or run.
Spurr gets caught up with his inability to kick effectively over 40m, mostly to a contest.
Spurr should be experienced depth with the guys we have now, Nyhuis hasn’t played enough in the seniors to make a judgement yet.

M_rash

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ole dp can not be in. The poor guy just can't play footy anymore'. I would like to see some of the old guys like MJ, Ballas and sandy rested from travel for the majority of away games this year .
Rest the old guys. It’s never happened before at Freo. Lots of older players say the continuity is more important than being “managed”. If it’s to rotate the young blokes, aren’t they better off (1) earning the spot, and (2) getting multiple weeks in the side rather than yo-yo in and out?

Some old guys will be phased out based on poor form (Spurr, D.Pearce). Some will get injured and disappear into obscurity (MJ), whilst others will probably extend into 2019 (Sandi, Mundy, Ballas).

It’s a balancing act, but natural attrition will play a big part of it. We’ve needed the old heads for experience over the past couple of years, but I reckon by mid season it’ll be purely form based for all of them. Our second and third year kids are ready to take the mantle - even some first years. We’ll no longer be playing the old guys for experience sake. Bring it!

Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Districts Vancouver Canucks
do you really think not being a lefty would keep the reigning Doig medalist out? I don’t.
Pretty sure B Hill was our Doig Medallist.

Steven is not going to play rnd 1 and is a left footer. Hence - D. Pearce in until steve is right to go...

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Pretty sure B Hill was our Doig Medallist.

Steven is not going to play rnd 1 and is a left footer. Hence - D. Pearce in until steve is right to go...
Who would you take out for BHill then?

I thought both Tucker (left footer) and Langdon were awesome. If they are behind Danyle I'd be surprised.

Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
I would have thought from efforts in the last few weeks that the 2 Hills would be replaced via one of Tucker/Langdon or Sutcliffe (I didn't mind his last game, wasn't perfect, but neither were the others). Now it's looking more like just 1 wing and a tricky decision for the committee. Our midfield and Defence are full, so it's 1 wing position, the forward line as a possibility, the bench- or WAFL.

I think Langdon the most likely candidate that they could shoehorn elsewhere (coz I like the cut of that young man's jib and the selection committee are tribal members of the Pithecanthropus if they don't see that), in which case it's one of Tucker or Sutcliffe. But if they don't shoehorn Langdon elsewhere, hmmm... Tucker's run, Langdon a fraction less run (could be wrong) but harder at the contest, Sutcliffe in spite of all the melts was 2nd in the 2km time trial and probably should have been a midfielder anyway rather than the defender that they tried to make him.

I'm not sure which way the dice are going to roll on this, am eagerly awaiting next weeks team list to see.

Kenny_01

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
There’s no way Tucker is getting dropped. 2 of the 4 to be dropped will be from D Pearce, Sutcliffe, Kersten and Spurr.

My brain says Pearce and Sutcliffe are the ones to be dropped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
There’s no need to keep D.Pearce as a winger just because he’s a left footer. We’ve got Tucker, Walters and Matera for that.

I’m not sure who I’m taking out from Sunday tbh. Obviously Meek is out but the other one might be harder. Could be either Kersten or D.Pearce that are unlucky.

Also those criticising Sutcliffe on the weekend have to stop picking out the whipping boy pre-game. He’s been solid all three pre season games imo. He’s not the best but he’s playing round one. Spurr likewise but did make a few mistakes on the weekend - to be expected though given he hadn’t played previously this pre season.

Purpletown

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2014
Restumping
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC Denver Broncos
I think Langdon the most likely candidate that they could shoehorn elsewhere (coz I like the cut of that young man's jib and the selection committee are tribal members of the Pithecanthropus if they don't see that), in which case it's one of Tucker or Sutcliffe. But if they don't shoehorn Langdon elsewhere, hmmm... Tucker's run, Langdon a fraction less run (could be wrong) but harder at the contest, Sutcliffe in spite of all the melts was 2nd in the 2km time trial and probably should have been a midfielder anyway rather than the defender that they tried to make him.

I'm not sure which way the dice are going to roll on this, am eagerly awaiting next weeks team list to see.[/QUOTE]

I just had to Google that one, they will be Pithecanthropus Erectus if they make the right call

mattis117

Premium Platinum
Aug 20, 2010
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Manchester City
I would have thought from efforts in the last few weeks that the 2 Hills would be replaced via one of Tucker/Langdon or Sutcliffe (I didn't mind his last game, wasn't perfect, but neither were the others). Now it's looking more like just 1 wing and a tricky decision for the committee. Our midfield and Defence are full, so it's 1 wing position, the forward line as a possibility, the bench- or WAFL.

I'm not sure which way the dice are going to roll on this, am eagerly awaiting next weeks team list to see.
The language used in this post, I like it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Outshined

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Bloody excited for this one. Don't give us much of a chance, but it'll be great to measure our progress against the god awful yardstick that is Rd 2 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back