Preview Round 1, 2018: St.Kilda v Brisbane - Etihad Stadium, Saturday 24th March, 3:35PM AEDT

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 163 83.2%
  • Lions

Votes: 33 16.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ross is criminally underrated.

Player Comparison
Sebastian RossNameLenny Hayes
SaintsTeamSaints
MidfieldPositionMidfield
81Career Games297
North Ballarat RebelsOriginPennant Hills
May 7, 1993DOBJanuary 14, 1980
24yr 10mthAgeTurned 24 in 2004
187cmHeight186cm
88kgWeight85kg
2011 NationalLast Drafted1998 National
Round 1, Pick #25Pick #Round 1, Pick #11
SaintsBySaints
2017Stats for Season2004
22Games23
Kicks11.6
15.4Handballs10.7
29.9Disposals22.2
3.6Marks4.0
0.2Goals0.2
0.4Behinds0.3
4.3Tackles5.6
Hitouts0
4.0Inside 50s
0.6Goal Assists
0.6Frees For0.9
0.8Frees Against1.0

That's bullshit, we all rate Seb but he's not Lenny Hayes no matter what stats you put up. It's like putting up Rocky next to Joel Selwood or Dusty and saying he's a better player. It's not something measurable on stats that Lenny had, I love Seb but he's probably in the mould of Rocky where he's not yet at a level where he's a match winner. His high possession counts are important and he's not got many deficiencies which are all good, but he needs to start to assert himself now and he could be a genuinely elite player.

That's bullshit, we all rate Seb but he's not Lenny Hayes no matter what stats you put up. It's like putting up Rocky next to Joel Selwood or Dusty and saying he's a better player. It's not something measurable on stats that Lenny had, I love Seb but he's probably in the mould of Rocky where he's not yet at a level where he's a match winner. His high possession counts are important and he's not got many deficiencies which are all good, but he needs to start to assert himself now and he could be a genuinely elite player.
I think the club are on record saying just watch the stars of stkilda are already at the club. Let them blossom .

I think Ross and Gresham are 2 that would of been considered. Lenny wasn't a match winner back in 04 either. He was a good mid and under Ross became a whole different level of player.

Ross is on a similar trajectory.

Assuming his body allows him, I'm looking to Armo to fill some of the leadership void left by Roo and Joey. He can show the up and coming players what they need to do to be a good AFL footballer and how to win games. He will always take the tackle and more often than not get the ball onto the next player in the chain. He'll be good when he's in the middle and he'll be good when he's resting up forward. You need to rotate lots of players through the midfield without too much variation in skill or intensity. Dave brings both of those things when he plays.

Savage is also underrated by Saint fans he is a prime example of someone who has turned his career around & is now a vital part of the side.

I have been Sav's biggest fan all the way through but I think that's putting a huge spoonful of mayo on it. He wasn't best 22 for chunks of last year and has had a couple of good practice matches. There were plenty asking form to be delisted last year. I don't like this building up players before they are truely established, it actually usually ends up in a frustrated backlash when the player can't keep up with expectations. Sav has been a player capable of really high highs but can go missing just as easily. My Hawks mates told me that if he could ever get his consistency up he'd be a superstar but he'd need a Roberton like later career surge to really become what he should be.

I think the club are on record saying just watch the stars of stkilda are already at the club. Let them blossom .

I think Ross and Gresham are 2 that would of been considered. Lenny wasn't a match winner back in 04 either. He was a good mid and under Ross became a whole different level of player.

While I'm not dismissing the notion the stars are already at the club, and completely agree re. Hayes (he became a monster second half of his 20s), by the time Gresh is a midfield star, Steven will be cooked, Carlisle will be past his best, etc. So we'd be looking at a completely different team.

Ross & Steven need help from a ready made player or two ASAP. Gresh will take charge of a future generation.

I hope you are right, I reckon Seb is more quiet achiever than Lenny was, Lenny had some parts of his game that made him a bit more eye catching and that drive was already on show early. I reckon Seb is more like one day we will wake up and realise he's elite and don't remember him being any different. He's still got something holding him back I reckon. It's almost like he's risk averse.

Gresham looks like a star. He's like a walking disco ball when he plays. Probably the opposite to Seb where you think he's had a great game but on looking at the stats he's been average. I remember watching young Dusty with Richmond mates and he'd do the Gresham like stuff and you just knew he'd be a gun long term.

Billings looks like he should be to me. He does everything well and oozes class, just a shame he seems to crack under pressure at times in front of goal.

Banking potential to me is always dangerous, I was listening to a carlton supporter ring in SEN last night when they were talking A grade players in the AFL. This jerk thought Curnow should be already considered A grade, last time I looked they didn't give awards for potential. Anyway I have no problem letting them blossom but I'm frustrated waiting for a the good times to start.

While I'm not dismissing the notion the stars are already at the club, and completely agree re. Hayes (he became a monster second half of his 20s), by the time Gresh is a midfield star, Steven will be cooked, Carlisle will be past his best, etc. So we'd be looking at a completely different team.

Ross & Steven need help from a ready made player or two ASAP. Gresh will take charge of a future generation.

Hopefully they overlap. I remember Harves stepping aside did seem to correspond to a whole lot of kids like Dal, and Lenny all stepping up into very high level players from and already decent standard.

Cooked? Mate gresham is 20. Averaged 20 touches in jlt. Was a standout mid at tac level . Why do you think he can't make it as a mid this year or next?

Cooked? Mate gresham is 20. Averaged 20 touches in jlt. Was a standout mid at tac level . Why do you think he can't make it as a mid this year or next?

I think he assumes that if Ross might be about to get elite at 25 or what ever he is Gresham won't tear it up until then.

Will be midway through the end of season cricket trip when the ball is bounced (or thrown up due to the turf being reminiscent of a Syrian street) and in a pub full of melbourne supporters, if we don't get up there'll be trouble that's for sure. Saints by 37 Mccartin 4 Billings 30 and 3 Steven 35 and 1 Clark 15 and 2 at 100% Coffield 21 and Gilbert 6 out on the fulls if he is picked.

Not just make it as a mid, but be an actual star week in week out. He's not even close. Happy to be proven wrong.

Best case is him and Clark are full time mid stars in 2-3 years, and even that is probably a one-eyed take.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he assumes that if Ross might be about to get elite at 25 or what ever he is Gresham won't tear it up until then.
Maybe.

Ross however has always seemed a slow burn to me like Lenny.
Gresham looks like he could explode similar to ablett.

We only need one to go to that superstar level then the rest start coming along for the ride.

Maybe.

We only need one to go to that superstar level then the rest start coming along for the ride.
Must also stress too that Gresh kicked 30 goals in only his second year.

For a small forward/rotating mid that is some incredible production when you consider he only went at 50% in front of goal!

Ross is criminally underrated.

Player Comparison
Sebastian RossNameLenny Hayes
SaintsTeamSaints
MidfieldPositionMidfield
81Career Games297
North Ballarat RebelsOriginPennant Hills
May 7, 1993DOBJanuary 14, 1980
24yr 10mthAgeTurned 24 in 2004
187cmHeight186cm
88kgWeight85kg
2011 NationalLast Drafted1998 National
Round 1, Pick #25Pick #Round 1, Pick #11
SaintsBySaints
2017Stats for Season2004
22Games23
Kicks11.6
15.4Handballs10.7
29.9Disposals22.2
3.6Marks4.0
0.2Goals0.2
0.4Behinds0.3
4.3Tackles5.6
Hitouts0
4.0Inside 50s
0.6Goal Assists
0.6Frees For0.9
0.8Frees Against1.0
Seb is a mighty good player that you forget he is still hasn't played 100 games yet.

His output last year was underrated by a lot of people and the media because he is such a low profile guy. He may not be "flashy" but he does have good speed, skills and a smart football brain. I remember Dal Santo saying last year that Seb's quick hands and the warm up he does each week is one of the most impressive things he has seen and that he has never seen a player who can respond that quickly.

Also, he has the ability to directly stop the oppositions best midfielder while being best on himself - most top midfielder's can't do that. Just get him to do some TV and Newspaper interviews and everyone's opinion on him as a player will improve.

Must also stress too that Gresh kicked 30 goals in only his second year.

For a small forward/rotating mid that is some incredible production when you consider he only went at 50% in front of goal!
30.30 wasn't it? With a few OOTF....

Elite...

Seb is a mighty good player that you forget he is still hasn't played 100 games yet.

His output last year was underrated by a lot of people and the media because he is such a low profile guy. He may not be "flashy" but he does have good speed, skills and a smart football brain. I remember Dal Santo saying last year that Seb's quick hands and the warm up he does each week is one of the most impressive things he has seen and that he has never seen a player who can respond that quickly.

Also, he has the ability to directly stop the oppositions best midfielder while being best on himself - most top midfielder's can't do that. Just get him to do some TV and Newspaper interviews and everyone's opinion on him as a player will improve.
I haven't forgotten mate .I highlighted him as someone who is ready to go to that next level.

My exploders are Gresh,Billings and Paddy.
My slow cooked improvers are Ross Steele and Acres

He will rotate forward. Always good for a goal is armo.

Acres,gresham,Billings, Steven,Stevens,armo,Steele,Clark will all rotate between forward and midfield throughout games.

Ross will be a predominant midfielder(expecting another huge lift in output)

Of those only gresh, Clark and Billings should play forward. Apart from Steven who is far to good to play big minutes there the rest are not suited forward because the ball will just rebound. They are good tacklers in close but wouldn't catch anyone who is up and running. Probably the same for Gresh but at least he kicks goals. The others average a game every 2 games.

Pretty sure Lenny was a match winner in 2004. He was fantastic in the 2004 prelim. He was AA in 2003 and 05. Non of which were under RL. Ross isn't on that trajectory but is improving very nicely.

Maybe.

All our kids seem slow burn. I don't know if I'm unrealistic or what. Other teams seem to get Ryan Burtons, Fiorinis and Alex Witherdens. We get guys that take 5 years to hit GOP level.

I hope you are right, I reckon Seb is more quiet achiever than Lenny was, Lenny had some parts of his game that made him a bit more eye catching and that drive was already on show early. I reckon Seb is more like one day we will wake up and realise he's elite and don't remember him being any different. He's still got something holding him back I reckon. It's almost like he's risk averse.

Gresham looks like a star. He's like a walking disco ball when he plays. Probably the opposite to Seb where you think he's had a great game but on looking at the stats he's been average. I remember watching young Dusty with Richmond mates and he'd do the Gresham like stuff and you just knew he'd be a gun long term.

Billings looks like he should be to me. He does everything well and oozes class, just a shame he seems to crack under pressure at times in front of goal.

Banking potential to me is always dangerous, I was listening to a carlton supporter ring in SEN last night when they were talking A grade players in the AFL. This jerk thought Curnow should be already considered A grade, last time I looked they didn't give awards for potential. Anyway I have no problem letting them blossom but I'm frustrated waiting for a the good times to start.
That is so true.
Talking with a Carlton buddy this morning and he is just hating the media hype about Curnow. Almost threw up over the Hun’s coverage today.

Gresh should be a mid, and Billings in the forward half. Those two have the most potential to be true A grade and can hurt the opposition. Ross has improved but is no Lenny and will be most effective with more class around him- he is good, but no game changer like some class midfielders. Where do we play Acres? much talent, but just seems that he had no chance to settle last season- Richo needs to give him a role, and stick to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back