2018 Draft thread

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think Connor Rozee could be the pick of the bunch this year. A lot of talk going round about Lukosius/Rankine/Walsh/King ect. however, Rozee looks like one of the better under age midfield prospects to come through in a number of years. He is just a really well rounded prospect with a vast skill set that should serve him well at AFL level. He can win his own footy, however, it is his acceleration and elite kicking skills on the outside that really catches the eye. He's a good size around the 186cm mark and has elite hands both at ground level and in the air so he could turn into a difficult match up when resting forward. Speaking of playing forward he doesn't mind kicking a goal either. Finally one thing that really sets him apart is his defensive pressure/tackling game which is a major strength of his. My early favourite in this years draft class and with our need to add another young, gun mid I'll be keeping close eyes on both him and Walsh this year.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Wasnt...Schache...?

Nope. North.

Even if he was though, I think people need to treat him more as an outlier. He's a pretty different case to most.

e.g. Every time a player extends a contract, there seems to be one sourpuss wth the inevitable "yeah but so did Schache..." responses, as though that outlier cancels out the multitudes of times players extend contracts and stay.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Isn't Mcluggage that type of mid?
I do admit he needs to work on his contested work. But in his draft year didn't he have a great balance of inside and outside work?

I think he’ll contribute at clearances but he won’t be the guy getting first hands on the footy.

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm not going to call out the name of a player this early however what is evident that it would be great to draft a star of the game. Not to sure if we have one of these types of players on our list currently and time might possibly tell. Lukoscious will go 1 IMO (not saying we will finish last) and reckon we do need some more help up forward but still think that we need that class in the midfield.

I'm not going to call out the name of a player this early however what is evident that it would be great to draft a star of the game. Not to sure if we have one of these types of players on our list currently and time might possibly tell. Lukoscious will go 1 IMO (not saying we will finish last) and reckon we do need some more help up forward but still think that we need that class in the midfield.

I honestly think the last thing we need is more KPPs. Hipwood will be a gun, Walker is a good stop gap and in the background we'v got Ballenden in his first year. McStay can also play forward and there's a good chance when Payne is ready McStay will be a pure swingman.

While a potential gun first round forward is tempting, a gun mid is pivotal.

Oct 17, 2012
Midland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I honestly think the last thing we need is more KPPs. Hipwood will be a gun, Walker is a good stop gap and in the background we'v got Ballenden in his first year. McStay can also play forward and there's a good chance when Payne is ready McStay will be a pure swingman.

100% agree.

If the modern game has tough us anything over the last 5 years it's that Tall FWD's are an ever decreasing commodity.

Contested marking has almost become redundant up forward in an age where crumbing smalls are higher valued because of their defensive pressure and pace needed to penetrate opposition's zone defences. (Not to mention they are generally better field kicks.)

It's all about defensive zoning and tackling pressure, has been for the last decade.

Hell Richmond won it all with Jumping Jack being their only legitimately tall target up forward, IMO Hipwood has a higher ceiling that Reiwoldt ever did.

Once upon a time Rockliff was considered a high value midfielder who often lead the league in tackles, now his lack of pace lead to defensive unaccountability and easy defensive 50 entries.

Our biggest problem last season was contested ball, anyone who can't win the pill should be overlooked IMO.

Any midfielder we get needs Pace, effective foot skills, defensive accountability, and the ability to win contested possession.

Whilst I like the look of Sam Walsh - great foot skills of both side of his body - from the footage I've seen he misses far too many handballs, not a deal breaker but something that needs improvement.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Isn't Mcluggage that type of mid?
I do admit he needs to work on his contested work. But in his draft year didn't he have a great balance of inside and outside work?
McCluggage was more outside in his draft year. He could really find the ball on the wing and as a HFF, and just outside of the contest.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams

I am wondering how much our 2019 academy kids, specifically the positions they play, will impact upon our possible draft strategy in 2018.

I know very little about our 2019 academy kids, but have read a little from last years NAB U16 Championships, that's how I had heard about Kobe Tozer and Tom Wischnats. There has also been a little snippets mentioned here on the Lions board by the likes of TheBrownDog that our 2019 academy kids could be special. Yesterday had a brief discussion on the draft board and another poster offered up this about next years academy kids.

I think your list of Academy Players is up there with the best of the Northern Academies. Kobe Tozer looks like the prototype centre half forward who is athletic and can kick goals. Tom Wischnats is your solidly built medium forward who can kick bags of goals. Others to look out for are midfielder Tom Griffiths, half forward Tom Jeffereys and utility Mac Liessi.

If we had pick 1, it would be very hard to go past Jack Lukosius, just on last years form. He's also stared in this seasons early S.A. U18 trial game and SANFL preseason game.

Just as a pure excitement player and a kid who can do things others can't, I'm sticking with Izak Rankine. But there are any number of kids who would help our rebuild with our first two picks. The top end talent could legitimately go 12 to 15 players deep, with another group of 12 to 15 players on the tier just below. It looks to be a deep draft, and I would be happy if we just took our first three picks to the draft and go hard at the free agent/trade period, or re-sign some of our better performing out of contract players to one more year. Especially if we have a lot of high end talent coming out of our academy the year after.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
I wonder if we come bottom 2 maybe we could try and drop down a bit for 2 lower picks like how we got Clug and Berry
Genuinely a draft I would be for this. Also a draft where it's unlikely to see a club give up two for a single higher one, because of how deep the talent runs.

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Genuinely a draft I would be for this. Also a draft where it's unlikely to see a club give up two for a single higher one, because of how deep the talent runs.
Is next year the start of the "during draft negotiations"....sorry not sure of the proper terminology.

Lazza16

Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Sorry, I don't follow.
I was under the impression that during the actual draft, from next season, deals can be done e.g we pick Walsh at number 3...another club can offer us a sweet deal for them to get Walsh and we get xyz..........or was I only dreaming lol

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
I was under the impression that during the actual draft, from next season, deals can be done e.g we pick Walsh at number 3...another club can offer us a sweet deal for them to get Walsh and we get xyz..........or was I only dreaming lol
Yeah, still waiting on news for when live trading will be brought it.

If we landed pick 1, I can see a lot of clubs making genuinely good offers for it.

Lazza16

Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah, still waiting on news for when live trading will be brought it.

If we landed pick 1, I can see a lot of clubs making genuinely good offers for it.
So it's not next season as far as you know....thanks for the correct terminology. One would think if live trading is introduced ......the Kruzer Cup would be very much alive.

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Walsh is the perfect addition to what we currently have. We don't have the accumulating balanced midfielder...
Has to be one of the best performed under aged mids in the past 20 odd years? Just accumulates the footy consistently like it is easy. Averaged I think 30 disposals at TAC Cup level? Runs a 16 beep test as well. As as been said a Lions fan as well and a Vic Country/Geelong Falcons boy:)

Back