Preview RND 1 - Carlton v Richmond - 7:25PM Thursday 22nd March @ MCG - Team - post #1352

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

There is literally zero chance we play O'Shea in front of Jones.

Jones was terrific against St Kilda.

I haven't yet had a chance to watch a replay of the Hawthorn game, but he certainly wasn't terrible.
Are you absolutely sure about that??? Did some nice things throughout the JLT series for sure, but 1 clanger for every 3 disposals would suggest he's having a little trouble reconciling ambition with ability atm. SOS didn't bring O'Shea onto main list just for his good looks, sexy tatts and charming personality you know. Rather than worrying about Jones, go and watch O'Shea in the last quarter. My point being select on merit rather than emotion. If it was Weitering or Marchbank making a clanger for every 3 disposals then I'd be looking at replacing one of them, but it's not is it???

How about Asos (if hes fit) as #1 KPD.
think he'd be the best match up for Riewolt (better than Jones...)
ASOS has missed most of preseason and had a hit out with the NB in Tassie. Still a little way off yet before being ready. Need to remember my selection of O'Shea is very much a horses-for-courses selection for Round 1 and his good form warrants it against a smaller forward line rather than not rating Jones. I think a week in the magoos getting back to basics won't hurt Jones. I'd bring back Jones for the Suns game where a gorilla tamer is required against Lynch & Wright. They also tend to rotate Witts through there. After that I'd go with form. That could mean maybe we prefer O'Shea over Weitering, Marchbank or Plowman at a given time based on form.

How's Camilla???

No disrespect but Jones plays every game this year and probably gets an AA jumper.
Love your enthusiasm, but that's a big, big call. Would be a great story if it happened though. We need our 2nd tier players to be exerting pressure and competition for spots through good form. Likewise you need to reward that good form rather than just select someone you're comfortable with otherwise there's no point having them. All of ASOS, Macreadie & O'Shea will be pressing hard for selection at various points during the year and that means someone gets squeezed out. Right now that person is O'Shea and he's right up Jones' ginger.

Listening to the Carlton show podcast Jones had 25 x 1% ers in the two matches which is just under half of our total for the two matches. His DE went from 90% to 58% reflects kicking under pressure in the second game.
Meanwhile O'Shea's DE purred along at 80% in that very same game in that very same backline in that very same manic last quarter.

Jones plays I reckon as has the mobility to go with some of the smalls of Richmond. And if Riewoldt starts getting on top of one of our younger defenders we can move Jones on to him.
Quite comfortable moving Marchbank or O'Shea onto Riewoldt should he get hold of Weitering. Riewoldt isn't gorilla size. Besides, it won't matter who plays on Riewoldt if the HFs and midfield fail to exert a reasonable amount of pressure on the ball carrier. Hawkins also exposed Jone's lack of a tank by dragging him all over the field and Riewoldt certainly has excellent endurance for a KPF.

Too many sleeps. FFS.

I suspect this will be a massacre of sorts.

Premiership teams tend to come out firing on all cylinders, particularly in big games. They're strength, in forward pressure, is also built to ruin young opposition who can't hold the nerve, and that is us right now - as per the first half vs Hawthorn. Plus their midfield should dominate which means the ball will spend more time up there...

I actually see this game being the darkness before dawn. A 100pt loss that shows against a rampant Richmond (uggghh) that show our now rebuilt bunch of youngsters where they have to get to. Then we bounce back at home vs GCS in round 2, win 2/3 after that and begin our fist steps up to the top...

We are just finding our feet with new players and a more attacking game plan. If we are within 6 goals come the end of the game its a good result for us.

Richmond will be brutal and take no prisoners. Here's hoping we hold our nerve. The pressure will be double JLT and Richmond looked the goods.

Fingers crossed on zero injuries

I suspect this will be a massacre of sorts.

Premiership teams tend to come out firing on all cylinders, particularly in big games. They're strength, in forward pressure, is also built to ruin young opposition who can't hold the nerve, and that is us right now - as per the first half vs Hawthorn. Plus their midfield should dominate which means the ball will spend more time up there...

I actually see this game being the darkness before dawn. A 100pt loss that shows against a rampant Richmond (uggghh) that show our now rebuilt bunch of youngsters where they have to get to. Then we bounce back at home vs GCS in round 2, win 2/3 after that and begin our fist steps up to the top...

Can't see that happening.

Are you absolutely sure about that??? Did some nice things throughout the JLT series for sure, but 1 clanger for every 3 disposals would suggest he's having a little trouble reconciling ambition with ability atm. SOS didn't bring O'Shea onto main list just for his good looks, sexy tatts and charming personality you know. Rather than worrying about Jones, go and watch O'Shea in the last quarter. My point being select on merit rather than emotion. If it was Weitering or Marchbank making a clanger for every 3 disposals then I'd be looking at replacing one of them, but it's not is it???

ASOS has missed most of preseason and had a hit out with the NB in Tassie. Still a little way off yet before being ready. Need to remember my selection of O'Shea is very much a horses-for-courses selection for Round 1 and his good form warrants it against a smaller forward line rather than not rating Jones. I think a week in the magoos getting back to basics won't hurt Jones. I'd bring back Jones for the Suns game where a gorilla tamer is required against Lynch & Wright. They also tend to rotate Witts through there. After that I'd go with form. That could mean maybe we prefer O'Shea over Weitering, Marchbank or Plowman at a given time based on form.

How's Camilla???

Love your enthusiasm, but that's a big, big call. Would be a great story if it happened though. We need our 2nd tier players to be exerting pressure and competition for spots through good form. Likewise you need to reward that good form rather than just select someone you're comfortable with otherwise there's no point having them. All of ASOS, Macreadie & O'Shea will be pressing hard for selection at various points during the year and that means someone gets squeezed out. Right now that person is O'Shea and he's right up Jones' ginger.

Meanwhile O'Shea's DE purred along at 80% in that very same game in that very same backline in that very same manic last quarter.

Quite comfortable moving Marchbank or O'Shea onto Riewoldt should he get hold of Weitering. Riewoldt isn't gorilla size. Besides, it won't matter who plays on Riewoldt if the HFs and midfield fail to exert a reasonable amount of pressure on the ball carrier. Hawkins also exposed Jone's lack of a tank by dragging him all over the field and Riewoldt certainly has excellent endurance for a KPF.

Too many sleeps. FFS.

Don't ever ... EVER stop posting champ!!!

How's Camilla???

Too many sleeps. FFS.

Two counter-points I'd like to get your thoughts on:

1. Is it at all possible that Jones' poorer efficiency stems from the fact that he's being tasked with making high-reward, aggressive plays from the backline in an effort to get the ball out in front of our runners? Effective disposal isn't always effective if you get my drift - and just because you get the ball to a teammate it doesn't mean you've actually furthered the play. Obviously, giving the ball to the opposition is worse, but if we're wanting to develop a more aggressive aspect to our gameplan then at some point we need to accept that mistakes will be made in the interests of education and development.

2. If O'Shea is a clearer better option than Jones against a smaller forward line, why did we roll with Marchbank/Jones/Plowman in JLT1 and the same 3 + Weiters in JLT2, against sides with small forward lines? Wouldn't it make a lot of sense to get a few games into Marchbank/Plowman/O'Shea as a defensive unit before throwing them together in round 1 against the reigning premiers?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Team Round 1 2017

B Lachie Plowman, Jacob Weitering, Kade Simpson
HB Harrison Macreadie, Sam Rowe, Caleb Marchbank
C Sam Docherty, Bryce Gibbs, Jarrod Pickett
HF Dennis Armfield, Levi Casboult, Matthew Wright
F Ed Curnow, Jack Silvagni, Dale Thomas
FOL Matthew Kreuzer, Patrick Cripps, Marc Murphy
I/C Sam Petrevski-Seton, Billie Smedts, Charlie Curnow, Simon White

Not likely to be massive differences but when you consider the improvement/progression of the younger players Weits, Pickett, Fisher, SPS, SOS and Curnow and Marchbank who all played round 1 last year. Cripps has had a proper pre-season and I'd hope we're a more cohesive unit.

Having said that the Tigers are purring at the moment so the margin will likely be similar.

I've got 7 probable changes between then and next week which is a reasonable amount:

Rowe > Jones
Macreadie > Byrne
Docherty > Dow
Gibbs > Kennedy
Armfield > Fisher
Smedts > Garlett(/Lang)
White > Cuningham(/Williamson)

There's an argument to be made that the sum of our outs (at rd 1 2017) is less than the sum of our ins (at this point in time). On top of that there's a healthy increase in experience and another preseason for the younger guys who were there in rd 1 (Plow, Weit, March, Pickett, Jack, Cripps, SPS, Charlie) not to mention that Jones, Casboult and Daisy appear to be doing a bit better than this time last year.

There was a 43 point margin rd 1 last year which was reduced to 26 points in rd 14 so the trend would suggest a 9 point loss (if you can make anything of that). Who knows, maybe we'll really push them hard this time, maybe we can somehow sneak a win....

I'm not sure what I'm on, but I've read in this thread that Jones either shouldn't play round one, or that Rowe is better than him... I assume I'm hallucinating because no rational person would write that on purpose.

Edit: no, I misread the Rowe is better post... unless there's a suggestion that Dennis is better than Fisher... which I'm sure there couldn't be...

I'm not sure what I'm on, but I've read in this thread that Jones either shouldn't play round one, or that Rowe is better than him... I assume I'm hallucinating because no rational person would write that on purpose.

Edit: no, I misread the Rowe is better post... unless there's a suggestion that Dennis is better than Fisher... which I'm sure there couldn't be...
">" isn't being used to mean greater....in the post above yours - it fooled me until I read what followed which I think is a fair argument.

My team for Round 1

B: Byrne, Weitering, Plowman
HB: O'Shea, Marchbank, Williamson
C: Cuningham, Cripps, Murphy
HF: C.Curnow, Casboult, Fisher
F: SPS, McKay, Thomas
R: Kreuzer, Kennedy, Dow
I/C: SOSOS, E.Curnow, Simpson, Wright

Emerg: Jones, Pickett, Lamb.

Green Shoots. Green Shoots Everywhere!!!
  • O'Shea - Couldn't have been more impressive. Only played 24% of game time against the Hawks yet racked up 10 possessions & 4 tackles. Also put in a very solid 4 quarter effort against Sandringham the week before. Against a smaller Tuggers forward line, O'Shea's endurance and quality ball use sees him edge out Jones.
  • Fisher - Really impressed with the growth in his game over the summer. Vision, decision-making and disposal is excellent, while his ability to team with Cripps & Kennedy has been impressive.
  • Kennedy - Already made a home for himself in the guts where he's already proved to be a great organiser with his midfield craft for set plays. Never realised how powerful a kick he is. The most exciting thing about Kennedy is that he still has enormous growth left in his game.
  • Dow - Absolutely he starts. Reckon he'll thrive on energy of the big occasion rather than being overawed by it. Wind him up, put him the guts and set him loose. Arguably the most exciting midfield prospect since Heeney.
  • Weitering - Just leave him down back FFS.
On The Cusp:
  • Cuningham - I remain to be convinced about Cuningham, and no more so than as a defender. Decision-making and disposal skills coming out of the back half are poor. Would much rather him up around the midfield & HFF where he can be a little more creative and where his tackling skills are required. Will have both Garlett and Lang right up his clacker gunning for his spot over the next month or so if he can't perform.
  • McKay - Another I remain to be totally convinced about. The club needs to invest games into him just like they did with SOSOS and Charlie if they're serious about his development. His cause would be helped no end by some consistent quality supply out of the midfield.
Controversy Abounds:
  • No Jones - I've only gone with the one genuine KPD as the Tigers will only have one genuine KPF. Did some nice things through the JLT series, but in 24 disposals, 8 of them were genuine clangers and the Tuggers are masters of punishing you on the turnover. Interesting stat from the Hawthorn game was that 8.8 of their half time score of 8.12 came from turnovers. Think opposition clubs have a little better handle on how to counter Jones now and the Tuggers have the tools to expose him in 2 of those areas. I still make the change somewhat reluctantly though as omitting Jones does rob the backline of some of its genuine contested marking power and I'd certainly bring him back against the Suns where a gorilla tamer is required.
  • No Pickett - We don't have an 8 man bench where we can afford to carry someone who only gets their hands on the ball 6-7 times a game. Pressure and work-rate will be key in this game and Pickett doesn't bring it......sorry. Think we stand a much better chance of obtaining those desired results more consistently out of Thomas & Wright at this stage. Happy to bring him back once he's demonstrated these qualities at VFL level.
  • No Lamb - Sam Kekovich will be pissed. While I like Lamb's defensive quality he doesn't really hurt the opposition the other way. Cuningham's ability to be a better midfield option sees him just get the nod on this occasion.

Interesting side, bold to omit Jones

But when Grigg does eventually go in the ruck, we wouldn't have an appropriate Beast to take Nankervis resting forward.

Personally i would play Jones, he is still agile enough to handle a smaller opponent.

Not ideal meeting a confident, fit and almost injury free Richmond (apart from Houli who is in their best 18) in round 1.

Their pre-season games showed a team still on a high from their premiership win; playing unbelievably tough and skilled footy.

To be anywhere near them we need absolutely everything to go right:
  • Must pick the best 22 to beat Richmond. Harry misses because he has shown little in JLT and we need the extra midfielder. LOB misses because he is simply not ready (will still play his 12-15 games this year). I think Bolton will go with "more experience the better for this one". With Mullett or O'Shea picked as the 22nd player - both can play back to release Cuningham/Simmo/Byrne up the ground if needed.
  • Cannot pick players with limited prep. Although I see Lang, Williamson & possibly Garlett as best 22 they cannot play. Playing a half fit SPS is a risk which I think they will take...but no matter how good he is..its a risk.
  • Must get the matchups right. The two key matchups are obviously Dusty & Rance. Who plays on them and how do we negate them?
  • Kruez to dominate. He, Cripps and Kennedy (so important on the inside) provide that hardness and edge we need to hopefully get first hands on the ball.
  • Will need experienced players to stand up. Murph, Kruez, Simmo, Thomas, Jones, Wright and Lamb have to be at the top of their game. Murph has to LEAD, Simmo must show composure deep in the backline and hit targets, Wright can't fumble chest marks..
  • Hopefully the boys learnt a lot from that first high pressure quarter against Hawthorn. We panicked and had no composure - no doubt the coaching group would have reviewed this hard, as Richmond will provide 4 quarters of this pressure...not just one.
  • Entries in to the forward line are key...kick it where Rance aint is rule number one. Honour the lead is two. Constant movement and separation of players is three. Slotting our chances is a must.
  • Two way running is expected. Richmond run in hordes...we have to run with them or they will dominate.

MY TEAM

B Plowman, Jones, Weitering,
HB Cuningham, Marchbank, Byrne
C Fisher, Kennedy, Simpson
HF Wright, Charlie Curnow , Jack Silvagni
F Pickett, Casboult, Thomas
FOL Kreuzer, Cripps, Murphy
I/C SPS, Ed Curnow, Dow, Mullett/O'Shea

In saying all that, I see Richmond as a formidable opponent at the top of their game. Our hope is that we come out of this game with our heads held high (season opener boys! 90000 people and a million plus watching on prime time tv..), no injuries, and a belief that we can hold our own against a very good side.

Tigers are up and about and we have put a couple of games together against team who have had the wood over us.

If we are on then I think we can give them a scare Round 1. I think the game will be determined by our midfield pressure and the ability of our tall defenders to take intercept grabs rather than spoil.

My team to cause an upset:

B Plowman, Jones, Weitering
HB Simpson, Marchbank, Byrne
C Fisher, Kennedy, SPS
HF Lamb, Charlie , JSOS
F Wright, Casboult, Thomas
I/C Ed, Dow, Cuningham, Pickett

Emergency: Mullet O'Shea Harry

Why?

Harry - not offered enough yet and we need extra mobility
Williamson - I think he is best 22 but he needs games
Mullet and OShea - haven't seen enough but Bolts may have - either may take Cuninghams spot who I like for his potential
Pickett - he is starting to provide something - we need X factor and speed
Interchange allows to go smaller down back and in the middle

Two counter-points I'd like to get your thoughts on:

1. Is it at all possible that Jones' poorer efficiency stems from the fact that he's being tasked with making high-reward, aggressive plays from the backline in an effort to get the ball out in front of our runners? Effective disposal isn't always effective if you get my drift - and just because you get the ball to a teammate it doesn't mean you've actually furthered the play. Obviously, giving the ball to the opposition is worse, but if we're wanting to develop a more aggressive aspect to our gameplan then at some point we need to accept that mistakes will be made in the interests of education and development.
Possible??? I'd say highly probable. Effective disposal is never effective when you turn it over. So do we select player B who can play the same position and execute the game plan better or do we compromise the game plan to accommodate player A??? Once we start selecting a side based upon making excuses rather than rewarding good form we are doomed.

2. If O'Shea is a clearer better option than Jones against a smaller forward line, why did we roll with Marchbank/Jones/Plowman in JLT1 and the same 3 + Weiters in JLT2, against sides with small forward lines? Wouldn't it make a lot of sense to get a few games into Marchbank/Plowman/O'Shea as a defensive unit before throwing them together in round 1 against the reigning premiers?
  • Fairly sure they'd have done plenty of that at training; and
  • It's up to O'Shea to unseat the incumbent so he may not have been in the frame originally as best 22. The fact he was left on the bench until the last 24% of game time may (and I only mean may) support that theory. O'Shea made a pretty compelling case for selection in that 24% of game time.
O'Shea = good depth imo
SOS didn't put O'Shea on the list for depth when we already had Macreadie, ASOS & Rowe.

Interesting side, bold to omit Jones

But when Grigg does eventually go in the ruck, we wouldn't have an appropriate Beast to take Nankervis resting forward.

Personally i would play Jones, he is still agile enough to handle a smaller opponent.
Soft post Arr0w. Must have balls to make big calls.

Not ideal meeting a confident, fit and almost injury free Richmond (apart from Houli who is in their best 18) in round 1.

Their pre-season games showed a team still on a high from their premiership win; playing unbelievably tough and skilled footy.

To be anywhere near them we need absolutely everything to go right:
  • Must pick the best 22 to beat Richmond. Harry misses because he has shown little in JLT and we need the extra midfielder. LOB misses because he is simply not ready (will still play his 12-15 games this year). I think Bolton will go with "more experience the better for this one". With Mullett or O'Shea picked as the 22nd player - both can play back to release Cuningham/Simmo/Byrne up the ground if needed.
  • Cannot pick players with limited prep. Although I see Lang, Williamson & possibly Garlett as best 22 they cannot play. Playing a half fit SPS is a risk which I think they will take...but no matter how good he is..its a risk.
  • Must get the matchups right. The two key matchups are obviously Dusty & Rance. Who plays on them and how do we negate them?
  • Kruez to dominate. He, Cripps and Kennedy (so important on the inside) provide that hardness and edge we need to hopefully get first hands on the ball.
  • Will need experienced players to stand up. Murph, Kruez, Simmo, Thomas, Jones, Wright and Lamb have to be at the top of their game. Murph has to LEAD, Simmo must show composure deep in the backline and hit targets, Wright can't fumble chest marks..
  • Hopefully the boys learnt a lot from that first high pressure quarter against Hawthorn. We panicked and had no composure - no doubt the coaching group would have reviewed this hard, as Richmond will provide 4 quarters of this pressure...not just one.
  • Entries in to the forward line are key...kick it where Rance aint is rule number one. Honour the lead is two. Constant movement and separation of players is three. Slotting our chances is a must.
  • Two way running is expected. Richmond run in hordes...we have to run with them or they will dominate.

MY TEAM

B Plowman, Jones, Weitering,
HB Cuningham, Marchbank, Byrne
C Fisher, Kennedy, Simpson
HF Wright, Charlie Curnow , Jack Silvagni
F Pickett, Casboult, Thomas
I/C SPS, Ed Curnow, Dow, Mullett/O'Shea

In saying all that, I see Richmond as a formidable opponent at the top of their game. Our hope is that we come out of this game with our heads held high (season opener boys! 90000 people and a million plus watching on prime time tv..), no injuries, and a belief that we can hold our own against a very good side.
Your team for your reasons. Good to see.

">" isn't being used to mean greater....in the post above yours - it fooled me until I read what followed which I think is a fair argument.
Yeah, it took me a moment to digest what I was reading... I think off the back of the Jones not playing round 1 statement, I figured there must have been a bandwagon on which A LOT of drugs were being taken.

Possible??? I'd say highly probable. Effective disposal is never effective when you turn it over. So do we select player B who can play the same position and execute the game plan better or do we compromise the game plan to accommodate player A??? Once we start selecting a side based upon making excuses rather than rewarding good form we are doomed.
So you prefer O'Shea to Jones, apparently for his superior disposal?

Sure, let's take away Jones' elite spoiling, intercept marking and ability to impact contests and replace him with someone who has serious question marks over his own disposal and nowhere near the athleticism or aerial attributes of Jones.

I'm a fan of Jones' attacking kicking, the occasional clanger comes with taking risks out of the back half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back