Unofficial Preview Round 1: Port Adelaide vs. Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For 88 bucks I want Pav and Bell to sit next to me...the last time I went to Manuka I didn't have to queue to have a piss which I guess is a bonus

So who is the alternative being suggested to play on Wingard?
The best available player to shut down wingard on Freos current list? Brady Grey.

Still remember going to that round 23, 2015 game at Adelaide oval when we rested a few players. Grey got 20 disposals in the back line in his debt game and held Wingard goal less.

I'm really excited to see our approach in the first 15 minutes of this game. Thinking back 2 years ago, we were so flat against Western Bulldogs in the first quarter of round 1. It really set the tone for the season. I have this feeling we are going to come out all guns blazing against Port. Even if we don't pull off the win, I'm really keen to see some genuine intent from the players.

I'm really excited to see our approach in the first 15 minutes of this game. Thinking back 2 years ago, we were so flat against Western Bulldogs in the first quarter of round 1. It really set the tone for the season. I have this feeling we are going to come out all guns blazing against Port. Even if we don't pull off the win, I'm really keen to see some genuine intent from the players.
Welcome...

Welcome from me as well.

I was at this game you speak of. I have never been so disappointed at a game of football because of the chasm between expectation and result. Had a drastic re-think of season expectations after that one.

I'm really excited to see our approach in the first 15 minutes of this game. Thinking back 2 years ago, we were so flat against Western Bulldogs in the first quarter of round 1.

My theory with that game was that we'd not travelled in the pre-season and it was the last weekend of Daylight savings in the East. A 1pm game was actually 10am Perth time and part of the reason we got so badly jumped was that we stuffed up the travel.

I think the fact that we've travelled to Adelaide twice this preseason and taken most of the likely Rnd 1 squad, should help with getting out of first gear quickly.

Early thoughts:

We have a fledgling forward line - they have a bit of a no-name defence.
They've improved their forward line, we've improved our defence.
They have some strong contested big bodied midfielders. We have some strong contested big bodied midfielders.
They have a champion ruckman. We have a champion ruckman.
They're missing R. Gray. We're missing S. Hill.
They're expected to win. We're not expected to win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Early thoughts:

They have some strong contested big bodied midfielders. We have some strong contested big bodied midfielders.

Their backline is pretty good, especially their flankers.

Our main advantage is preparation. All our players have played 3 games, most of their starting midfield is short of a gallop. We can pressure them and tire them out if we are on.

Early thoughts:

Don't mean to intrude. I agree with most of what you said except for our no name back line.

This is a back-line which was second best in the competition alst year.

It has names like Clurey, Jonas (well known), Hartlett (well known), Howard, Darcy Byrne Jones, Riley Bonner/Jasper Pittard (well known).

The majority may not be well known names, but rest assured they can play. Be weary of big Dougal Howard - kid is a star.

There's also Jacky Hombsch who is well known and could easily be included into our Round 1 squad.

I anticipate this game being a lot closer than what they are saying at the moment.

Good luck for the season lads.

Don't mean to intrude. I agree with most of what you said except for our no name back line.

It has names like Clurey, Jonas (well known), Hartlett (well known), Howard, Darcy Byrne Jones, Riley Bonner/Jasper Pittard (well known).

The majority may not be well known names, but rest assured they can play. Be weary of big Dougal Howard - kid is a star.

There's also Jacky Hombsch who is well known and could easily be included into our Round 1 squad.

I anticipate this game being a lot closer than what they are saying at the moment.

Every player who makes an afl best 22 is by definition known, but that is not the meaning of a no-name backline. A no-name backline I think refers to a backline lacking in high end talent or achievement. I am not saying that is what you have by the way, but teams with strong midfields often have backlines which perform well.

You just listed 8 people that would be known by maybe 5% of football fans outside of Port

I don't think we'll be embarrassed, but I'm not expecting a win. I have Port top 4 by the end of the year.

"No name" wasn't a euphemism for 'can't play'. It was more about having some inexperience there and so there's no intimidation factor for us, that might comes with defences of other teams with bigger reputations.

Houston just played his first season and Bonner, even though he looks a talent and may have slipped down the order in the draft has only played 3 games. Howard's played 10 games. Clurey's played 40.

Pittard won't play. I did see Byre-Jones was your leading clearance player on the weekend - not sure how that came about.

We'll probably lock down on Harlett. You need two small forward minders.

The best available player to shut down wingard on Freos current list? Brady Grey.

Still remember going to that round 23, 2015 game at Adelaide oval when we rested a few players. Grey got 20 disposals in the back line in his debt game and held Wingard goal less.
and in true Ross Lyon fashion was never played there again. The boss makes some inexplicable calls at times.
Barlow is another who was made to play in the purgatory of our half forward line despite us playing much better every time he went into the centre bounces. Crozier, played really well of half back for a while and was also banished to purgatory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back