Unpopular Basketball Opinions

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
LeBron is stupidly dominate today.

Wilt would be the most dominate by a considerable margin.

His most dominate season,

Rodman's 17rpg were just as dominate as Wilt

the most dominate NBA team.
Sorry to be grammar police but that's doing my head in.

You can dominate a team. And you can be dominant. Every time you used it, it should be dominant.

Lebron is stupidly dominant today.

Wilt would be the more dominant by a considerable margin.

Etc and so on.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
This is just so wrong. 60s ball was so bad. The offensive systems were terrible and their team defense was basically hope Wilt/Russel blocks them. You know teams back in the day use to shoot 40%? Warriors shoot 40% from 23 feet away from the basket. And defense is so much better today. Lightyears better. If today's team teleported back in time would take apart the 60s teams because the game has evolved. LeBron is stupidly dominate today. Back then he would have just destroyed everyone. You know he weighs 35 pounds more than Russel? And athletically would leave everyone for dead.

60s ball is, in comparison, pickup ball.

I'm not sure why you think Wilt would be the most dominate by a considerable margin. You know if he played in today's game and played 35 minutes per game or so. At today's pace. His most dominate season, when he scored 50ppg, is about the same as scoring 30ish points today. He'd be pretty good though.

You know why there were so many rebounds to be had back then? Teams couldn't shoot. Rodman's 17rpg were just as dominate as Wilt when he was averaging 30 rebounds per game.

btw I have no issues with calling that Boston team the most dominate NBA team.
Having said that, I agree with you. You cannot compare teams from the 60's to todays players. When comparing them, you have to keep them relevant to their era. Cousy is regarded one of the best of that time and he could only dribble with one hand. That's what we were dealing with. The only two blokes from that era who look remotely like players in todays game were Wilt and West.

They were great players though and you can respect them for what they did in their time. It is not their fault the game has evolved as it should. Even average players in today's game would dominate in the 60's.

blackcat

Irving's godfather and handle
Dec 29, 2003
Beverly Hills 90210 Antifa bracket
AFL Club
Richmond

You can dominate a team. And you can be dominant. Every time you used it, it should be dominant.

Lebron is stupidly dominate today.

Wilt would be the more dominate by a considerable margin.

Etc and so on.
here is a hint, when you go to reply-to just correct it urself like i did ;) ^

u could have lend[sic] a helping hand

mickelboy182

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 30, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets

Etc and so on.

A dominate display of correction here.

Really though, you're doing the guy a service.

blackcat

Dec 29, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
They were great players though and you can respect them for what they did in their time. It is not their fault the game has evolved as it should. Even average players in today's game would dominate in the 60's.

the salient question should be posed, how would they go today, if they went to high school, went thru JV and varsity like the rest of the current NBA corps, would they have raised their game? Could Bradman have faced down the Windies with Garner, Holding, Marshall, Roberts? (unsaid, when he may have had a weakness with the bodyline and packed legside behind square... field).

looking at a Wilt mashup on youtube, even without the modern supps and roids they are all on, Wilt had otherworldly athleticism. Like Giannis. But taller.

Others, a bit different. Steve Nash and John Stockton proved you can be average athleticism, and still an MVP and perennial all-star. Otoh, guys like Larry Johnson, Adrian Dantley, Mark Aguire, look like they would need that extra three inches. Barkley you retort. No, he would always be one of the elite. My fave w Saraunus Marciulonis. But A 6'3" 2man could always play now, like Dumars and Dwyane. *asterisk the caveat is for length, Dwyane has long arms, aka, Sam Perkins. Fultz at 6'4" has 6'10" span. He can play 2, and defend it.

/extemporisation

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
the salient question should be posed, how would they go today, if they went to high school, went thru JV and varsity like the rest of the current NBA corps, would they have raised their game? Could Bradman have faced down the Windies with Garner, Holding, Marshall, Roberts? (unsaid, when he may have had a weakness with the bodyline and packed legside behind square... field).

looking at a Wilt mashup on youtube, even without the modern supps and roids they are all on, Wilt had otherworldly athleticism. Like Giannis. But taller.

Others, a bit different. Steve Nash and John Stockton proved you can be average athleticism, and still an MVP and perennial all-star. Otoh, guys like Larry Johnson, Adrian Dantley, Mark Aguire, look like they would need that extra three inches. Barkley you retort. No, he would always be one of the elite. My fave w Saraunus Marciulonis. But A 6'3" 2man could always play now, like Dumars and Dwyane. *asterisk the caveat is for length, Dwyane has long arms, aka, Sam Perkins. Fultz at 6'4" has 6'10" span. He can play 2, and defend it.

/extemporisation
Your posts confuse me. Is English your first language :D

blackcat

Dec 29, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
Your posts confuse me. Is English your first language :D
Jod, give Jerry West and Bill Russell the opportunities today. But they must start their development with the others in the other rec leagues as 12year olds.

ceteris paribus. That is Latin for like-for-like. Compare equals, equally.So lets give them a shot to raise their game as children (starting from childhood that is).

It is but a fools errand to compare athletes in different eras. You cannot answer a Lebron v MJ question to any adequate satisfaction, tho, MJ's contemporaries think it is sacrilege.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Jod, give Jerry West and Bill Russell the opportunities today. But they must start their development with the others in the other rec leagues as 12year olds.

ceteris paribus. That is Latin for like-for-like. Compare equals, equally.So lets give them a shot to raise their game as children (starting from childhood that is).

It is but a fools errand to compare athletes in different eras. You cannot answer a Lebron v MJ question to any adequate satisfaction, tho, MJ's contemporaries think it is sacrilege.
Yeah it would be very interesting to see how players in the 60's with their raw abilities would come through now. Look at Jerry West, if he was growing up now, he would be adding sick handled to his game from watching Curry, CP3, Harden etc. But it's impossible to know how they would fare.

You can somewhat compare players from the 80's onwards to now as the game hasnt shifted as much as it did from say the 60's to the 80's.

blackcat

Dec 29, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah it would be very interesting to see how players in the 60's with their raw abilities would come through now. Look at Jerry West, if he was growing up now, he would be adding sick handled to his game from watching Curry, CP3, Harden etc. But it's impossible to know how they would fare.

You can somewhat compare players from the 80's onwards to now as the game hasnt shifted as much as it did from say the 60's to the 80's.
Scott Fisher would be carp unless he did more droids and stuck himself under the squat rack like Brett Rainbow and Rex Chapman, Paul Maley would still be a decent commas officer for Richmond and a legacy admission to Yale.

May 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast

Etc and so on.

I'll dominate yer mom in a minute.

May 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I keep hearing all the experts say "The regular season isn't that important", "Seeding isn't that important".

Umm, yes it is. Unless your LeBron James. For everyone else it has been.

Every champion from the last 6 years has either had the leagues best record, or LeBron James.

So, basically, if you don't have the leagues best record, you better hope you have LeBron James on your team.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
I keep hearing all the experts say "The regular season isn't that important", "Seeding isn't that important".

Every champion from the last 6 years has either had the leagues best record, or LeBron James.

So, basically, if you don't have the leagues best record, you better hope you have LeBron James on your team.
That was a dominant post!

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Bill Russel is confusing.

lebron-russell.jpg

6'9 looks right when he's standing next to Lebron who is listed at 6'8. Yet here he is with Garnett who is listed at 7'0.

CtIdrJvWYAAnubs.jpg

Now he looks closer to 7'0??

Here he is with Tim Duncan who is listed at 6'11 or 7'0.

Russell%252520Duncan%252520PC2.jpg

Who know how tall Russell is haha.

Also it's dominant, not dominate.
You do realise how angles of photos work right?

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton

Aren't they just saying this about the Warriors? Because if so it's absolutely true.

The Warriors should be good enough in a series to avoid a situation where they're facing a team like the Rockets on the road in a game 7.

May 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Aren't they just saying this about the Warriors? Because if so it's absolutely true.

The Warriors should be good enough in a series to avoid a situation where they're facing a team like the Rockets on the road in a game 7.

They've also said it about old Spur teams as well.

Pop gets a lot of credit for resting his blokes during the season because "It's all about being fresh for the playoffs". But history shows having a good record is important for them winning. Since Duncan originally got there they finished with the league best record 4 times, and have 3 chips in those 4 years.

The other two chips came in 2007 (where they finished with the leagues 3rd best record and were lucky enough for the top seed to have a shocking loss in the first round and... well... we know what happened against the Suns who had the 2nd best record). And 2005 (where they had the 2nd best).

Anyway, I probably posted as i had just heard it again. I was a bit over it. It's important. The regular season isn't for fun. It's for working out who's good and who isn't.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
They've also said it about old Spur teams as well.

Pop gets a lot of credit for resting his blokes during the season because "It's all about being fresh for the playoffs". But history shows having a good record is important for them winning. Since Duncan originally got there they finished with the league best record 4 times, and have 3 chips in those 4 years.

The other two chips came in 2007 (where they finished with the leagues 3rd best record and were lucky enough for the top seed to have a shocking loss in the first round and... well... we know what happened against the Suns who had the 2nd best record). And 2005 (where they had the 2nd best).

Anyway, I probably posted as i had just heard it again. I was a bit over it. It's important. The regular season isn't for fun. It's for working out who's good and who isn't.
I agree. To say the regular season isnt important for LeBron and Cleveland and that they will just hit that switch and turn it on in the playoffs is folly IMO. The reason their record is bad is because they are not very good.

May 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I agree. To say the regular season isnt important for LeBron and Cleveland and that they will just hit that switch and turn it on in the playoffs is folly IMO. The reason their record is bad is because they are not very good.

Umm, my post said it's important for anyone but LeBron.

This season though, they are bad.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Umm, my post said it's important for anyone but LeBron.

This season though, they are bad.
Yeah I meant in normal circumstances. This Cleveland team isnt normal circumstances. They only really beat bad teams and still need LBJ to have huge games to get those W's. Doesnt matter even if he has huge games against good teams, they just lose. They are simply not very good.

I think this is the year when Lebron doesnt make the NBA Finals. Can see Toronto or Boston knocking out the Cavs.

I've been dunked on. It was more painful than embarrassing. I was running back on defence trying to get in front of a guy on a fastbreak and managed to do so but only after he'd taken off for the dunk and couldn't get out of his way, as he came down from finishing the dunk I coped an elbow in the temple and a concussion.

Definitely not a highlight for me.

I've had the exact same thing happen, was defending a two on one and threw an oop and copped the elbow on way down. Split me open too. What pissed me off was they did the whole carry on when he knew he had hit me hard. Luckily I had good team mates!

Deathray

All Australian
Oct 7, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Seattle Supersonics
It would appear ‘stuffs the stat sheet’ has permanently entered the lexicon to describe a players near triple double or better. I really can’t stand the phrase so I guess that makes my view unpopular.

Zgope1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Ben Simmons jumpshot is broken

a wise person once told me that, a pity he ripped it off a meme from something like deadspin or grantland or maxK and StephenA

Ben Simmons, imo, he is like an elevator, descending. He tries to rise like Lebron, but when he shoots from 17feet and further, he is shooting on the downward because he does not have the lift of LBJ

Zgope1

dave andersen disabused those idiots on SEN morning, Lyon and Watson. He said he could not shoot in his first years as a pro neither.

This must be seen thru a John Nash #GameTheory lens. BS was never the shooting guard playing from 22feet and in since he was 10. Then when he started getting the ball from 15feet and further, in his teenage years, at Keilor or Newcastle whereever he played high-level VBL. He never got the ball starting from 22 feet as a spot up shooter, he may well have had it in the pocket in triple-threat. But his first instinct to put it on the floor and riven the defense and p'raps kick to an open shooter. His game instinct was never developed to look at the ring from 17feet and out in his jnr years, because he was so dominant as a face up penetrator, drive and dish, kick it to the open man when D collapses on him, or shoot from within 10 with the dinky floaters and hooks.

Ofcourse he shot open j's and 3s from our perimeter in his junior years. I am talking proportionally, pro rata. Significant majority of opportunities went to avenues I explained in above^ para.

You can teach a pavlov dog to shoot. He will be above 75%, nigh 80% from line. And 35% from three at minimum.

Also, Joe Ingles said he could not shoot neither in his first years out of AIS.

The knock on Brett Maher coming out of AIS, "can't shoot", aka Scott Muller. well... where did Maher finish as NBL records? Top few, or top, three point shooter (quantum). Australian boomers captain.

Pavlov dog, come on down.
If Ben Simmons can shoot everyone ever has been able to shoot. But not everyone has been able to and he can’t. Shaq is a closer example than Joe Ingles

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Simmons can shoot, he's getting better. His mid range game is ok. He just has to keep working on it and taking it further out. He needs the 3pt shot to complete his game and put himself in the top echelon of players in the league.

blackcat

Dec 29, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
Simmons can shoot, he's getting better. His mid range game is ok. He just has to keep working on it and taking it further out. He needs the 3pt shot to complete his game and put himself in the top echelon of players in the league.
Magic and MJ also had broken jumpsuits when they came into the league. Simmons problem is he attempts to have the rise and lift of LeBron and release it from 18inches in the air to hypothetical wing defender with a hypothetical wingspan of Kawhi Leonard, he either releases at apex or just as gravity reverses him, and this distorts the release and arc, the opposite of that WWizards 2man, he ain't LBJ, and he will never have someone contesting his j like Kevin Garnett with height and hands all over him

Back