Advice for first time share investor

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Anyone got some advice for me as I look to get into shares?

I've read The Intelligent Investor and I'm a Business student so I have a bit of an idea about the market, P/E ratios etc.

I'm more after advice relating to where to trade etc. What are some of the best websites for live quotes, company history etc? Any good phone apps?

And in terms of buying and selling what's the best place fee wise?

Banks look cheap atm.

I just use the westpac channel because I bank with them. From memory there wasn’t much difference between them and the cba channel which was the cheapest.

I've read The Intelligent Investor and I'm a Business student so I have a bit of an idea about the market, P/E ratios etc.

I'm more after advice relating to where to trade etc. What are some of the best websites for live quotes, company history etc? Any good phone apps?

Don’t get salty, just buy Walties.

Hey, you can put your money in funds management. Investing in mutual or international funds can be a great idea, as they are the long term investment type. Also, investing in Australian funds management, secure your money. Presently, people are getting more interest in investing in international funds. You can also invest in international funds.

Selfwealth have been quite good for me since I swapped to them. $9.50 per trade. The app is not the greatest but it works. I'd be looking at shares that pay a dividend and re-invest it through the dividend reinvestment plan to avoid brokerage and compound. Get on hotcopper and read. All things to look at.

I'm more after advice relating to where to trade etc. What are some of the best websites

Take a profit when you see it.

Totally depends on your risk profile.

<edit> misread your post...

I use nabtrade myself, but i dont recommend it. I'm shopping around and currently trying out IG Markets - but thats not an endorsement.

You will make more money sitting on your hands than trading. You never go broke taking a profit.

I’m a ‘new’ investor too and I’ve recently signed up to SelfWealth @ $9.50 per trade it’s the cheapest brokerage. Initially started with a lump sum, but intend todo additional buys at $500 at a time (aim is for every few months)..

which makes the $9.50 brokerage much more appealing (as opposed to paying $19.50 with my banks trade platform)

if anyone is keen on signing up to selfwealth, PM me for my referral link and you’ll receive your first 5 trades FREE (saving of nearly $50!!) :cool:

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've seen the best and worst of the stock market in the 5 months i've been doing trading. Saw my shares turn into poo before my very eyes then saw them turn into gold.

That 23rd of March V bounce would have been spectacular to get in on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back